Updating CPU; useful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 2, 2021.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

MSI B560M Bazooka that's the one I have with the 10400f and it performs very well:) 108€

2. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

The bundle you were thinking is very good value for the perf gain (for cpu releted tasks) you get with it.
    Going to i7 instead of i5 tough, has only benefit of larger L3 cache in rf2's case. the number of cores i7's brings over i5's is not important, as rf2 runs in single thread (with monitor). anyways the fps gains with i7 vs i5 would be in single digits so i5 would be fine imo in your case.
    Cpu prices are decent and the silicon shortage has not touched their prices (yet at least) so buying new is as good deal, as any other time.
    Selecting the motherboard well is important only to avoid ones that restrict the possibilities of the cpu as you found out.

Alternatively; used 4770k or 4970k are cheap as dirt now, if you can find a z87 or z97 board to go with it. better yet if you can find a used bundle of both. you could use your old ram, and if it's 1600MHz cl9 (9-9-9-24) for example you would be fine with it.
    Used ddr3 is not that badly priced either. 2400Mhz cl10 ram would be perfect match for 4770k.
    4970k combined with ddr3 2666MHz cl11 would be much faster in games that most give credit for, for that old tech.
    Both cpus overclock well, so if your cooler is up to task you get pretty fast cpu with something like 4.5GHz.

But 350€ for everything new and with warranty, is hard to argue against to...
    I would go used only if very tight budget, and overclocking is not new or off putting to you.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    DJCruicky and juanchioooo like this.