The rFactor 2 Blog | Cars (Part 2 of 2)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

lagg, Spyro, Binny and 2 others like this.
  2. RNeves

RNeves Registered

From what I've read in the Q&A's, I can't think what is so exciting that is going to be released this month (except fot new cars or tracks). I'll just keep my hop and wait some more weeks.
    I'm usually not a fan of spelling disgrace, but I'm honestly getting tired of waiting for this game. No significant physics improvements to the game engine are to be expected soon. Let's wait some more weeks, that's all we can do for now.

upload_2021-12-1_22-0-13.png
    Steam sharts show that this game is not going in the right direction lately. Let's see.

3. Binny

Binny Guest

@Paul Jeffrey Can S397 let us know more about the code & any of the issues you guys have with it in the next blog? Honestly not much out there on this topic. Here are a few questions i have.
    1. Is the code fixable to take rf2 to the next level ?
    2. Is it best for S397 to understand the code more and then move onto rf3 and stop all updates to rf2 ?
    3. What does S397 say and think the biggest issues with the code are ?
    4. Does S397 have the ppl to dissect the code and unravel it from the mess it was left in ?
    5. Is the coding stopping you from implementing what users are asking for or to be fixed / implemented at this present time ?
    6. How many staff just work on code and nothing else ?

Dady Cairo likes this.
  4. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

This brings me back to the in-car 2010 style HUD. It has so many problems (relative not working properly and lacking needed features, delta having bugs, elements not moveable etc.). I think it's a shame you said, that you rely on the community to fix those things with 3rd party software. But do you know that even we aren't able to fix it because the data coming from rF2 is broken or not usable (for example relative times or interval gaps not being available for a standing). I've recently done a quite complex simhub overlay and I came across mutliple problems relating to rF2 data. On the other side alot of 3rd party ingame overlays (workshop) are often freezing and crashing and additionally simhub is very hardware hungry running beside a not so well optimised rF2. So most people are not even running 3rd party and I hear alot of people being turned off by the outdated, not fun to use and look at default HUD. You often bring the argument that it's not realistic, but the HUD replaces the IRL team of the driver, so EVERYTHING in a HUD has its right to be there (even a car radar ;)). You said you will not refresh it but do you now realize what an important part of the game the HUD is? The broadcast overlay looks great why not adapt that system for the HUD?

avenger82 and Nieubermesch like this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you @Paul Jeffrey, for the answers
    A couple of questions about modding
    • Are you going to migrate the dev mode to the new UI? When?
    • As we all know, the documentation of rF2 sometimes is outdated or incomplete. Have you thought in doing mini video tutorials for modding? It would be interesting to begin with the more common and/or easy features as skinpacks, prepare a circuit for certain race conditions, create a mod for a championship (offline or online), create aiw lines, etc. And then, little by little continue with more depth processes.
    Thank you

6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

With the agreement of the modders concerned, it would be good to give the qualities and experience of S397 to improve some modded cars that we could specifically find very promising in various aspects, in particular in the field of physics because S397 remains a true artist in the matter.

Some examples that come to mind concerning SlowMotion Group : MX5 (best RWD street car ?), Lupo GTI (best FWD and street car that we have ?), GP3, Metalmoro MR1, Palatov D4 taking the opportunity to improve the physics engine on the plan of the integral transmission, ...

7. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

I would love to see some development in the region of lower powered tin tops. Perhaps a Caterham license in the same way you have for the Tatuus? So a series of 4-5 Caterham’s with increasing power from entry level up to the 620R.

As this is often seen in the UK as one of the entry points to motor racing perhaps rF2 could replicate the Caterham Academy the the Road Sport then the 270R and then 360 R Series finishing with a 620R as a stairway to GT3?

There are Caterham mods from the community but for me they don’t replicate the feeling (physics?) of driving a Caterham 7 which S397 could do.

https://www.caterham-academy.co.uk/...y244HCMLTbkiTkUq9oBWLVgGRdEyhBTIaApdSEALw_wcB

8. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Don't worry - I ask anyone and everyone on a near daily basis for Caterham!

9. Scoopscat7

Scoopscat7 Registered

Daily ! You’re really just not putting the effort in
    I did also think about a tie in with the academy with perhaps a “Brit” pack of licensed circuits. This would allow Caterham to “give” their customer base a simulator for their own series. It’s a win win win except for me as I normally lose lose lose

Keep up the nagging

RaceNut and Paul Jeffrey like this.
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Modding question for next Q&A:

1) Plans to go "platform agnostic" for modding? Meaning... as long as things are exported to a common format (FBX for example) then anyone can mod no matter their 3D platform program of choice? Dumping the need for the 3dsmax plugins?

2) Is there anything against users updating old ISI content to PBR themselves?

3) With information gleaned from Goodyear partnership.... will some of the preset tyres you will be giving out include old F1 rubber? Or at least have the ability to use a preset and rescale to a specific physical tyre?

11. Havner

Havner Registered

I've read those Q&As on Cars and while I applaud taking on all the questions asked an honesty in answering them I'm seriously disappointed by the general outcome. Almost every single question about core issues (bugs, physics, quality of life improvements) was answered with:
    From those a little bit different I especially liked this one about a workaround from almost a year back:

And this one:

My bug report: EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The only concrete info was about another cars being released while lots of payed content gathers dust with outdated looks, poor BOP and broken dashes (and I'm not even talking about possible new tech, I'm talking about fixing them with the code that is available right now).

@Paul Jeffrey We had a long conversation in January. About bugs. You promised me to take the issues with GT3 and UI I reported to the devs. Few got fixed, *few*. More than half of those bugs are still there year later. And I'm not talking about serious physics changes. I'm talking mostly about simple UI bugs and inconsistencies, not any serious rework.

After our talk you also wrote a long dev update on plans to improve gathering bugs from the community. I suggested some simple solutions. A year later:
    If creating a super system to gather bugs is taking you longer than fixing those bugs (I'm afraid in both cases the answer might be *never*), than what is even the point? The solution I suggested would take an hour to do and would at least be a start to have the bugs in a single place. Yet here were are a year later with nothing.

12. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Q&A about modding :

- What about giving to the modders a good and better tyre for their modded cars ? I don't expect you will give the Formula pro or BMW Classe 1 tyre, but something better than the free tyre.
    - What about adding an "old PBR" option, to use the old modded with all the optimisations of the last build, but without the PBR update which renders the green, and not only the green, very very flashy......

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

S397 just lacks the work force to do all they'd want to do. Hence these vague answers and you can be certain some of the stuff
    they'd really like to do will never happen. Maintaining and evolving a modern sim is no easy task and requires not only a vision and plan, but also a lot of people working on it. Add to that that the rFactor2 codebase is super complex, probably not easy to work with and each change has probably to be debated to no end on its feasibility and consequences, resulting in changes (when they are decided) taking forever.
    The MG acquisition surely does not help as you can bet some people are not working on rF2, or at least not directly.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  14. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I'm starting to think of some questions and such for the modding Q&A. Is this the thread to ask those questions? I'm not really sure how the other Q&A worked

15. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Had the same thought if they have a special thread.
    Deleted a post halfway.

16. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Yep, ask modding questions here, little bit confusing I know to be asking modding questions in the car blog thread, that’s just how things roll :D

17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the Corvette C8 on the car's DISPLAY the fast lap time and the current lap, coincide and indicate the same time, always the last lap
    Will that be fixed soon or will years go by like other failures ????

18. RNelson

RNelson Registered

For a moment I thought I was in the sarcasm thread......then I realized it was the smart ass thread...my mistake....

Woodee likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

If it weren't for the fact that I use virtual reality, maybe I wouldn't care ..... now I would have to see who has a smart ass?...:rolleyes:;)

20. Binny

Binny Guest

Coming from a female your comment is the smart ass comment and not needed, i think its time you had a break or got a small ban to pull your head in.