Can't start dedicated server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by zmitya, Nov 29, 2021.

1. zmitya

zmitya Registered

Dear All,

We are having trouble starting a dedicated server. We tried starting the server from the client game and also we installed a fresh dedi server using SteamCMD as well.

Please find attached the result:
    [​IMG]

Obviously we have a few mods installed. We tried to install so many mods with different cars/tracks, so the above error msg is not valid I think.

Please note that we have installed all the shipped VC++ redistributable files we found in Support/RunTimes directory, but still no luck.
    Also please note that I installed so many dedis using the above method, but on this PC, I can not get the Dedi working for some reason.

Do you guys have any other ideas what did I miss?
    Do you need any other info?

Thanks,
    Mitya

2. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

Could you show a screenshot of the full modmgr.exe window and also of the properties of the shortcut you use to start the server?

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

following on from Kevin, also check that the paths are set in the mas2 tool and modmgr;
    Mas2-Packages1.png

Modmgr-directories1.png

DJCruicky likes this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Your "start in" folder for your dedi shortcut should be the main rfactor folder.

Example:
    upload_2021-11-29_22-49-52.png

5. zmitya

zmitya Registered

I can produce the screenshot tomorrow evening only...
    The shortcut contains the '+path=".."' string at the end of the command...

6. zmitya

zmitya Registered

I think the paths are set up properly. I can not show screenshots at the moment, because my buddy went to sleep, but will do tomorrow...

All the mods / cars / tracks are can be seen in the ModMgr. Also the path in the MAS utility is set to the dedi/Packages directory as well...

When I created the vmod, I can see that the rfmod is created in the Packages directory which then can be seen in ModMgr as well...
    I have been doing this for many years now, so I think I know it, but still open for any ideas...

My idea is that something is wrong with the Windows or with the network or something...

I also set '+trace=1000', but no real information in the trace file...
    Just a very generic error msg like, I can show that tomorrow as well...

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Did you try what I said in my post? It's because the dedicated exe is not in the root and rF2 can't reference where the mods are. So changing the "start in" folder for the shortcut then tells rF2 to look for the mods starting at the root rF2 folder.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

+path=".." does the same thing. In both cases it's important that both lines are correct, and the other details as well. So really we're waiting for more screenshots.

9. zmitya

zmitya Registered

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Your steamcmd install is not in your main rF2 client folder is it?

11. zmitya

zmitya Registered

no, they are next to each other in the same level "c:\rf2\steamcmd" and "c:\rf2\dedi"

there is a "full" rf2 client on this PC, but that client is totally elsewhere...

interestingly, we neither can start the dedicated server from the "full" rf2 client too (same issue), that is why we started to play with the steamcmd installed fresh instance

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021