The rFactor 2 Blog | Tracks

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

I 'd also like to see 'custom' number of weather slots, during a race. Now we have 5 (start, 25%, 50%, 75% and finish).

Why not giving us the ability to choose between e.g, from 1 to 5 slots? Plus why not adding 'random weather' slot?

Plus2: Have you ever though 'bout F1 sparks? This would be amazing!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    mantasisg and Balazs Magyar like this.
  2. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

Q)
    Are there any plans to implement 1-way Shock absorbers?
    If implemented, I think that the reproducibility of racing cars equipped with 1-way Shock absorbers (eg M2 CS Racing) and general cars will be improved.

Q)
    I remember that rFactor 2 had a partnership agreement with Motec. Do you have any plans to use the contract to change the vehicle's LCD display to an object compatible with Motec Display Creator?

atomed likes this.
  3. L0P3X

L0P3X Registered

I had some unanswered questions from the last blog (Not a big deal I guess, there's too many questions now )

But now, it's time for new and fresh questions!

1. We saw an improvement to the loading times regarding track on the last Release Candidate update, but now the loading process seems to slow down once it start to load the vehicles. Will the cars recieve a similar improvement in the future?

2. I would love to see different updates to the cars displays and dashboards, such as the different LEDs for ABS/TC activation, onboard delta, or different pages, any plan to update this?

3. I've heard some people saying that the GT3 cars had some "shader inconsistency" between the different cars from this DLC pack, Will this cars recieve some graphical updates in the future?

4. Recently we recieved an update to the Tatuus pack, where one of the cars recieved revamped sounds. Any chance to see this kind of updates on more cars, or a general Audio Engine update on the long term?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I too, thought of another TRACK question. Feel free to wharehouse it until another track session comes around.

Will we ever see text in the menus that tells us how many AI cars can be used for each track? i.e. How many garage spots are available. Often now we have to boot or add AI to either get a full field or prevent a mess of cars blocking each other in the garages. If we could see the available options PRIOR to loading the track, we could then tailor the amount of AI we would load without congestion.

Emery, Balazs Magyar, pilAUTO and 7 others like this.
  5. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

This really is needed.

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy Registered

Can you fix Pits on tracks? We have good value (Group##) in VEH files, we have enought Pit location on track... but sometimes still few drivers from different teams has same Pits... And like backup we using batch file with /pitbyteam (endurance races) or /pitbydriver (without swap race).... :( I think it´s very unfair and pain if someone must stay behind other car on pit lane...

Or - can you release actual documentation about pits set? On other big leagues like VEC or LMVS i don´t see this problems...

Morbo and Adam Helyes like this.
  7. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

How big is the deviation from a lascer scan to the real track? Or how small could it be?

8. Emery

Emery Registered

TLDR: any laser scan is only a picture in time, not precise for the long term, but probably "good enough".

A local fixed LIDAR scan that's been properly georeferenced is more accurate than we can use in-game, having zillions of points. You can often see the lines painted on the pavement. A mesh is laid over the points at a resolution of maybe 0.5-1 meters, usually a subset of the points, and that mildly averages out the typical surface undulations, but not so much that it hides the character. rF & rF2 uses the driving mesh for the displayed mesh, so using a higher resolution mesh means more work for the GPU. Additionally, invisible bumps can be added to rF & rF2 terrain via lines in the TDF file, most often used to accentuate pavement cracks. AC uses a finer driving mesh than rF2 (smallest elements, but then has a separate displayed mesh that's coarser than rF2's displayed mesh, so you'll often see tires sink a bit through the displayed pavment. iRacing appears to follow the AC method.

A poorly georeferenced mobile LIDAR scan can be off by a meter when trying to align sections (a miserable job!). Also, pavement is elastic and depending on the quality of the road base, will shift around. Ruts from traffic will wear into pavement. Earthquakes lift & lower sections.

Aerial LIDAR, due to the distance, has a lower resolution point cloud due to the distance from the airplane/helicopter and speed. The densest point cloud I've seen is about 0.25 meters between points and are vertically accurate to less than a centimeter. These are usually what are available to hobbyists and are plenty good enough for track creation except for the most demanding. One downside of aerial LIDAR is trees obliterating the ground return, so while there's the usual point cloud, it's mostly from the trees rather than the ground. One just hopes the roadway is not so obscured to need extra interpolation. Tall grass has the same effect, but because we're not driving on it, it matters less.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    pkelly and Fabian Balle like this.
  9. Andrea Suriano

Andrea Suriano Registered

I have a question about the races scheduled every 30 minutes on the competition system.
    Is it possible to leave the registration and the possibility to join the race open until the end of Practice?
    It would be great because, if one ended the race of xx:00, after the race is over the xx:30 race can be done as well, instead of waiting 30 minutes for the next one.

10. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Guys, no news? :(:(

11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I have a last question :

Even If I don't use many mods, the new PBR updates has broken all the old mods, the green is very very flashy and remove all the immersion, and most of the old tracks won't be updated by the modder, do you have a plan to use the old PBR for the old tracks or is it definitively not possible and we have to race with the flashy ugly green ?

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

S397 has not worked on any 3rd party tracks,(not counting 3pa) that I am aware of, and will not. If the community does not 'fix' the tracks, then they will remain as is. Same for DX11. Same for the Horizon change. S397 cannot as a company, change somebody else's work. (Nor do they have the time or manpower) What is, is. Unless you can find somebody willing to work on those older tracks.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  13. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

they could simply add a button "old PBR" before starting a race, and we can enjoy all the old tracks....