[WIP] F1 1982 League Edition - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by EmperorOfFinland, Oct 16, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Okay i managed to port over the BT49D approximately, i still need to take the cockpit to blender and modify it to fit the car, but i already did take the carbody of the BT49D and splitted it into parts that i can neatly use, ie so the car has detatchable parts on itself.

F1 1982 Mod Cars 51.png

Even the enginecover is seethrough although i think i might try to AI upscale the current texture or just make a new texture and reuvmap the enginecover with a new texture on it.

F1 1982 Mod Cars 52.png

Hazi, vava74, Endor and 1 other person like this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

After spending about 3-5 hours on blender i finally managed to fix the cockpit approximately so it looks like it should. so it looks atleast tolerable, i have to reuv map the cockpit later but its a simple quick job and is easy to do for the object

F1 1982 Mod Cars 53.png

On a positive note i learned so much more about blender and manipulating meshes that the rest of the stuff is going to be much faster as i know what im doing now :D

Mauro, GPNeville, pkelly and 6 others like this.
  3. EmperorOfFinland

I spent some time today fixing out the black carskins bug relating to this

22.95s setup.cpp 3597: Set veh file filter * !AI_ONLY !PACECAR 0 null 0 null
    22.95s setup.cpp 3597: Set veh file filter * 70 null 0 null
    24.40s setup.cpp 3453: Reset veh file filter
    24.40s setup.cpp 3597: Set veh file filter MCLAREN-82 4 null 0 null
    24.50s DebugUtiliti 58: DebugUtilities::SetCurrentThreadName rFactor2 MT Command Processor : thread ID : 13164
    24.50s DebugUtiliti 58: DebugUtilities::SetCurrentThreadName rFactor2 MT Command Processor : thread ID : 17312
    24.50s DebugUtiliti 58: DebugUtilities::SetCurrentThreadName rFactor2 MT Command Processor : thread ID : 15492
    24.50s DebugUtiliti 58: DebugUtilities::SetCurrentThreadName rFactor2 MT Command Processor : thread ID : 5460
    24.75s cubeDirectX1 787: EMAP_PAINT.DDS
    24.75s cubeDirectX1 788: Has a different format than expected -> Can't be loaded correctly
    25.15s vehgfx.cpp 499: Entered AdjustVehicleLiveryMaterials
    25.15s vehgfx.cpp 466: Couldn't find appropriate texture for: region on veh:
    25.20s util.cpp 1249: Unable to adjust texture for material: wcextra9, tex0=Skins\Watson01extra9.dds, tex1=Skins\Misc\Watson01extra9.dds, tex2=Skins\Watson01extra9.dds
    25.20s vehgfx.cpp 758: Exited AdjustVehicleLiveryMaterials
    25.26s JNITuning.cp 458: Access denied looking for folderF:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\F1 1982 League Edition\WATSON_LE_T

[​IMG]

The cars are somehow rendering in black and i dont know exactly why

They work just fine on moddev and its just the Brabham BT50, ATS D5 and Mclaren MP4

However i started also work on different boostlevels, as i realised a 6 step boost would be useless unless you knew what horsepower each one had and decided to take look at Group C 1984 mod and copied the extra settings for boostlevels so they can be named.

So now the boost levels are as follows on the turbocar

EngineBoostSpecial=(0,"440hp - ","Fuelsaving", 0)
    EngineBoostSpecial=(1,"465hp - ","Race Low", 1)
    EngineBoostSpecial=(2,"490hp - ","Race Med", 2)
    EngineBoostSpecial=(3,"520hp - ","Race Max", 3)
    EngineBoostSpecial=(4,"540hp - ","Quali Low", 4)
    EngineBoostSpecial=(5,"570hp - ","Quali Max", 5)

and they show up like this
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 54.png

So now on setup you can instantly know the approximate horsepower that the engine makes at specific boostlevels so you dont have to know what boost to use since i have already written a boost level to use for the race so you know you can use this boost level without breaking the engine.

I will balance the boost 4 to last the whole race but 5 and 6 to be qualiboosts

Also the atmospheric car has also a HP on the boostlevel despite it has no boost mapping just to make stuff consistent

EngineBoostSpecial=(0,"510hp - ","Race", 0)

F1 1982 Mod Cars 55.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    atomed and Mauro like this.
  4. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i fixed it. it was that the skins must be on the same folder as the json files are so that generates the cars with the needed stuff. so now everything works

F1 1982 Mod Cars 56.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 57.png

5. jymp

jymp Registered

Are the tires actually that squared off on the sidewall, or is it the screenshot ?, IRL the side walls were rounder.

6. EmperorOfFinland

Im just focusing on getting the cars ported first before i start editing the tiremeshes i have couple cars i still need to port over, the tiresidewall thing is a small thing to do. and since its mesh editing i expect it to be quite hard to do in the first place given the tools i have.

If i had to guess its the tireshader not working exactly as intended as the tire has different UVMaps on it for the sidewall and the main tire. what obiviously is not the case anymore. But that requires me to reuv map the whole tire and that is not fun at all.

Im practically more concerned i get something that works and is driveable before i go into small details like that. especially as i dont have enough skilled testers to finetune the physics just right as i cant drive myself with a simwheel, im locked down to controller due to my injury.
    I will port the extra cars over first and then i will start fixing the cars if i need to.

7. EmperorOfFinland

Now with the help of @redapg he managed to find out the reason for persistent crashes, it was the arrows brakediscs causing the crash so i just reexported the brakedisc GMT files and now the mod works without crashing again :D so thanks to redapg for helping to fix the issue with crashing so i can focus on integrating more cars in.

On a another note the cars seem to be lapping really close to the real cars on multiple tracks interms of speed after testing it today.

GPNeville, pkelly, Mauro and 4 others like this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

With a quick help from @redapg i also managed to learn how to do the cockpit dials for different models of cars, so the code is fairly simple its something like this on the upgrade file

CPIT=Eyepoint=(0.0, 0.71, -0.24)
    CPIT=TachometerRange=(0, 13000, 285,354)
    CPIT=TachometerBackground=bt_tach.tga
    CPIT=TachometerNeedlemap=wh_needle.tga
    CPIT=TachometerNeedle=(1.0, 1.0)
    CPIT=FuelLevelRange=(0.0, 1.0, 225, 315)
    CPIT=FuelLevelNeedle=(0.85, 0.75)
    CPIT=FuelLevelBackGround=it_fuellvl.tga
    CPIT=FuelLevelNeedlemap=wh_needle.tga

my mistake was that i used COCKPIT instead of CPIT

F1 1982 Mod Cars 58.png

As you see the dials work now and also the cockpit cam can be adjusted between the cars

GPNeville, pkelly, Endor and 2 others like this.
  9. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

is this the original Cockpit from that 1982 Mod?

10. EmperorOfFinland

@ChiefWiggum

No its not, its another mod that has the missing cars from F1 Challenge, the main mod has way better models than thease, i have been just been merging the inferior models of the missing cars so i have full season with all the models of car that were on the season, to sorta upgrade the mod to a fully finished league edition.

Im basically trying to get them working on the other cars but the other missing models are way less poly and seem to have lots of stuff to be fixed on them so its basically quite hard to fix them on my own as my 3d modellingskills are limited. Also i should make the 3d driver for the cars but the cars are different on cockpits so its been quite hard to integrate a more modern drivermodel in, i would also need to reuvmap it for it to work.

11. EmperorOfFinland

Okay its been a week, i took some time off from modding and started then doing physics with benborp to redo the physics entirely on what they are now with new calculations so the car becomes more accurate on that. so im basically waiting benborp to finish up the calculations so we can get into testing the physics.

in the mean time i decided to convert the rest of the cars.

Alfa Romeo 179D

F1 1982 Mod Cars 59.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 60.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 61.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 63.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 62.png

The cockpit needs some rework on the car though so i will look into it later when i have more time to be working on the mod i remeshed the cars frontend and rear enginecover so its much smoother now

Endor, pkelly, GPNeville and 5 others like this.
  12. EmperorOfFinland

So i have been toying up with an idea to make a engine sound work as it should. if someone knows how to properly do enginesound modding it would be appreciated, as i know approximately how to integrate the sounds made that way in.

I have spent the entire day integrating the Alfa 179D and i fixed the mirrors and other stuff on the car, now im basically making the Alfa Romeo 890T V8 turbo engine sound on the minimal clips i have but for some reason at high end the engine starts to stall.

Endor likes this.
  13. EmperorOfFinland

pascom, GPNeville and Mauro like this.
  14. Endor

Endor Registered

very nice ! glad to see that you found a solution for the cockpits

15. EmperorOfFinland

well the cockpit solution is really bad as i really hate doing the cockpits all over again as its literally anywhere from 2-12 hours to get the cockpit even like this and then to finetweak it takes a bit longer too due to the fact i use blender and 3dsimed3 combination and its not really good for fast changes of the mesh as i have to bring the model back to blender to edit it all over again.

and it looks like absolute garbage ie you can easily see the gaps on the cockpit but i cant be bothered to do the cockpits any better myself mostly due to the fact i just want to get the models and upgrades functional and then run a pass on the cockpit after i get done with all of them.

Also the drivers need to be reuvmapped with the textures so its going to take even longer to take the sponsordetails and input them into the driver. But its the only way we will get fixed drivermodel as its already animated.

Although endor if you remember the cockpits how did you fix it on your mod but how the GMT files are broken like that on my end?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  16. EmperorOfFinland

I wonder how it was that i can make nice shiny backfires for the cars as it seems im unable to make the texture to shine for somereason

17. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You can make it pop by using a different shader. Personally I've experimented with using the dashboardelement-shader. Because you can tweak the "intensity" by playing with the diffuse/Ambient/Specular/Emissive RGB-settings - it also allows different "intensities" during night and day.

18. EmperorOfFinland

Hmm so what settings would work for the intensity of the effect? as i have literally 0 idea about how to make it more intensive

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  19. EmperorOfFinland

Okay the 3.0L atmospheric car has had its physics recalculated and it seems its working as expected. the physics are much improved over the mostly rf1 based physics that it used to run with updates on the existing physics.

The turbo physics are under recalculation right now. Now the bigger issue at the moment is that i might need help on making the new driver textures for the cars as if i replace the drivers i need new drivertextures. as texturemaking and uvmapping is not my expertise at the moment.

Also i think if someone has the time the carskins could use remastering on them so we can make the cars look even better, as the ai upscaling wont do perfect job on the skins unfortunately.

20. EmperorOfFinland

Okay im looking for some help on reuvmapping and retexturing the driver model i have with the existing drivertextures as that is a big bottleneck currently on me when making the mod as its simply outside of my skills to redo the textures on my own. I think that the skins could also use a remastering by someone more skiled by me. That includes carliveries too.

As otherwise the mod will take much longer if i need to learn the skills from scratch.

I will add your name to the people working on the mod so you will get credited for the work. I will also provide the skins so its much easier to remaster if needed.