AI problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moving Violation, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Thank you! This has always annoyed me and is the worst part of the AI for me. I thought that time on the video I could have avoid his reversing but nope... :rolleyes:

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

Sorry, but that makes no Sense at all.
    You both want to say, that the AI tries to crash into you intentionally?
    As said, in the Video, the Car behaves like a real Car, when it is spinning in that Way.
    And if you spin like that, shift into the 1st Gear and accelerate, to get back into the correct Direction, the Tires will smoke, because they spin when you accelerate too hard against the Movement Direction of the Car.
    But you want to tell us, that they accelerate backwards, to try to crash into you?

And that Cars swerve, to "surprise" you, as you say, is probably caused by the Block Line and it's programming, which is not perfect, especially not on wide Tracks.

If you mean you are right with what you say, please upload a Video of the above Spin, but with shown Replay Overlay, that we can see which Gear is engaged.
    I bet, it is not the Reverse Gear.

Emery likes this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Lol, you can be sure that AI intentencionally blocks you when they spin and they also ram into you during normal racing. If you are so blind to see that maybe you don't even drive with AI or either drive behind them or in front of them all the time... One of the two.

4. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I'll be posting a compilation of it happening so you can see. When they spin or crash, all of the time unless they were too damage to move, they will block you! In my video it's not simply the AI spinning and a natural car path, they gained speed against my car in reverse, I assure you and will show you next time I can record it.

5. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

It is of course definitely poor AI programming, which use the AIW as input. The problem is, the move to the blocking line is often too late (or too early, which is very funny when you see it) that it is essentially frowned upon moving under braking IRL. There is no way you can react to those moves safely. You just crash into their backs, or swerve off track to avoid them. They also swerve-nudge sometimes when you are side-by-side for no obvious reason.

On the move to crash into a human player when the AIs are backing into the track, I do not know if that is part of the code. Most likely not. But all I can say is I have seen the AI go back to the track at seemingly full throttle, on reverse, without regard to track traffic, including other AIs, from far off the grass! Not often, but not that rare. This is very poor programming, no matter the sim.

On intention to make life hard for the human player, I am almost convinced sim programmers do that to make it more thrilling for humans. I see this on rF1 and automobilista. Given the choice between defending vs an AI or the human, they crowd the human! On rF2, I see this at Oulton park a lot on Cascades, Hungaroring on T2. When you are taking the outside when they are already 2-wide (you are 3-wide), one will peel off to block. Not a deal breaker.

When you are also inside and they are already 2-wide (and you are 3-wide on the inside, safely), the AI next to you will drift towards you, leaving the other AI happy on the outside. It makes it more challenging, but I have always assumed it is a natural programming design to make offline AI racing seem less boring. Sometimes the outside block is annoying because I actually go to the outer edges just to give their 2-wide enough space, but one of the AIs will take a completely different line to 'discourage' you from going around the group.

And whenever I choose one of the two lanes through Cascades, following two-abreast AIs on lap 1, my lane of AIs almost always slows down while the other lane goes through. This happens much more than a 50-50 ratio for it to be random. The lane is always greener on the other side.

Nieubermesch and GertjanD like this.
  6. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

Pointless, to argue with People, who think their Opinion is the absolute Truth.

7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Indeed......