can anyone build these engines with dyno chart?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by davehenrie, Nov 14, 2021.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

These three examples of the 1969 Chevy Big Block were all used in Can-Am and other forms of racing in the late 60's to early 70's. With GTR2/rF1, I could have whipped out examples of these engines easily, but the technical challenge of rF2 really has daunted my old modding instincts. I wonder if anyone could build an example engine that consumes 75gals of US sized fuel in 2hrs of road racing. No turbos, no fancy gizmos, just great big valves & ports. My particular interest is the #2 line the 430ci engine. By far the most rev-happy big block designed by Chevrolet & built up by custom engine builders @ Mclaren Cars
    [​IMG]

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I have no idea on how to view or edit rF2 engine torque curves. I've had a recent project where it would come in handy.

What I have been doing is using rF2 Online Tools and doing engine conversions from rF1. Seems to be working ok. I think there is a few Can-Am mods from the rF1 world that you should be able to pull the engine and sounds from.

http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/

3. redapg

redapg Registered

@Chris Lesperance Yes, converting with my Tools should work in an acceptable Way.
    The bigger Problem, i guess, will be to find a properly made rF1 Engine, with exactly the shown Curves.
    And the Charts are missing the "lower RpM Range" Values.

@davehenrie You could use the @Michael Borda Physics Spreadsheet, to build such Engines by yourself. ;)

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

Terrain (uphill/downhill), aerodynamics, & tire rolling resistance will affect fuel consumption. Those are sharp torque dips, so you'll probably need the engine file to be every 100 rpm to accurately cover the effect.

Dave Purdy's good old Physics Editor is probably the easiest way to match a power curve. physicseditor189 (mediafire.com)

svictor likes this.
  5. philrob

philrob Registered

Dave here is a quick Chevrolet 430ci V8 645 hp@7100rpm 511 lb/ft@5000rpm
    i have not tried it in the Canam cars, but placed it in a Rover V8 saloon car, did 170 mph and still going haha
    only a quick trial build, let me know how it goes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    svictor, Emery and atomed like this.
  6. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks so much Emery.
    I have been looking for something like this. I wasnt sure if I had to keep typing different entries in the spread sheet to change the curves. Fantastic.

davehenrie likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

great, thanks. I'm at my older brother's house today. I'll take a look on monday.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

for whatever reason, LOTS of rpm dyno charts exclude the bottom end of the rpm range. When I was building all the engines for the SCC mod, I rarely found data that covered the entire rev range. I did manage to get a complete chart on a Porsche engine used in the Grand Am series for the Daytona Prototype, but that was a rare occurrence(btw, Porsche lied :> ).

9. philrob

philrob Registered

Redapg I had a go with the Physics Spreadsheet today, wow i was out of my depth,I will continue to try and work it out.
    Looks like your script auto fills in some of the spreadsheet and puts out the required files, great work.

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

That's unfortunately true.

For the most of my Scripts, i use all the @Michael Borda Calculations from his Spreadsheet, because that's the only Source, with that you can get proper rFactor 2 Physics Files.
    My Intention to make the Tools, was to make some Things easier for Converting Mods from rF1 to rF2, without to have to enter a lot of Data into the Spreadsheet. :)
    But if you have the Patience and Energy to do that, i always would recommend to use the Spreadsheet.

11. philrob

philrob Registered

redapg,
    you certainly made it easier for us to rework the physics files.Without your tools , i think far fewer mods would have made it
    onto the track.
    Many thanks

12. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I know the ones that I worked on would not have made it over. Thanks again Chris!

redapg, atomed and philrob like this.
  13. philrob

philrob Registered

DaveHenrie,
    i placed my engine in the Chiefs Mclaren today. Standard gearing is wrong and i think there may be too much back torque, but it runs and i will tweek it.
    Top speed is now 151mph with gearing changes.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  14. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

when you have good Physic, Sounds or something else you can send it to me, I will use it then you think it is good stuff

philrob and Emery like this.
  15. philrob

philrob Registered

Chief,
    i thought DaveHenrie had sent you this Chevy engine that ime talking about.Just been changing the gearing a little, much more stable now, 156 mph , not sure what they achieved in life.Been a long time since i worked on the Canam mod for GTR2 so memories
    are fleeting. Just used your Chevy.sfx sounds way better. Doing this in Devmode. I will PM you the RF2 ini now.

16. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

ok thx, will check it later

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@philrob I AM, lol, I gave it a go to try and figure out how to insert...I'm a dutz these days. If you have it in the mod already, I'll leave it at that.
    @ChiefWiggum His engine file is probably the highest revving Chevy engine that was used by Mclaren in 1969. Your early 70's Shadow and Mclaren cars used the larger 8.1 litre engine which has more low & midrange power but does not rev as high. I asked specifically for that older engine because it was the favorite engine of Denny Hulme & I was curious to try it out. I am compiling a list of engines used in Can-Am, I have most of the Chevy's but need to dig more into the Ford & Oldsmobile. There was quite a difference in weight in the early days as some competitors used heavy iron blocks while others used lighter but less reliable aluminum blocks. By the 70's almost all the engines were aluminum blocks.

philrob likes this.
  18. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

@davehenrie yeah, but don't forget the Mod is not historical, but we can use what we want, so if we get such an engine we can add it to the Mod

davehenrie likes this.
  19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@davehenrie
    Sorry mate, haven't read the whole topic to the letter, but what's this all about?
    Just making an engine file with exactly those lines? Adjusting fuel to what you specified?

That can't be a big problem now, can it?
    I've made several exe sheets "back in the day" where I could make every curve I wanted; if you want it shaped like a christmas tree, it can be.
    Is it already done or do you want some more shots to it?
    If you have a bit better picture, I can work more precise, but this is also doable.

You want me to have a shot at it?

davehenrie and ChiefWiggum like this.
  20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry, read a bit better; there is help already.
    Didn't want to interfere mate!