Now THIS is a great summary of OUR user experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Jul 6, 2021.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

That makes him even more valuable. I'm wandering if there was any chancees he could have signed for S397. @88mphTim ?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't think the chance of things is worth debating. A person deserves to be able to make their own decisions about their employment. People act like he was property of ISI.

3. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/2021/10/roadmap-update-october-2021/

So S397 actively confirmed its not worth working on a new ingame HUD, although it's trash, but completely remade the driver labels, which the majority of users have disabled? I will never understand why those decisions are so out of this world...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    FS7, Adrian Blasco and Nieubermesch like this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

I've never used the labels. I don't like those things flying on the cars. But it's fair to say that many people, a lot of times have asked for the labels.

Remco Majoor and Rui Santos like this.
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I'm curious to know, how do you do to know the driver count, to know that most of them deactivate the labels? ... How do you know that most users disable it?

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

They've re-enabled driver labels? Hell yeah! They weren't gone in devmode, which is where I spent most of my time, but I'm really happy they're back in normal version.

avenger82 and juanchioooo like this.
  7. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Well, I don't know the number I just don't know anyone who have it enabled within the communities I'm in. I guess people in Sim racing communities just don't use it. And as rF2 is not quite the game for non sim enthusiast, this was just an educated guess. But here is a big BUT, S397 wouldn't know either so it was more to intensify the fact that soo many users are shaking their heads about this.
    And I'm not talking about that it's bad reenabling and refreshing it, which is cool for the people interested in it. I'm mainly talking about their decision NOT to touch the HUD, but the labels, which might fall under the same category and now quality within parts of the Sim differ even more. Which would be fine if they said they would redo the HUD but they said its not planned.

Adrian Blasco and Nieubermesch like this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Very well, if believing that something is true because you don't know people who do use it, it doesn't mean that most don't use it, I know quite a few people who use it and they are also on sim forums, ... regardless of that. , I should not accuse that something is not used anymore without knowing it for sure ,, TO REQUEST them to fix a new more interesting and better made HUD, ... in that I agree with you ,,, they should fix it, I do not claim it because I use the HUD of the car in VR and with the edited AND personalized HUDs that I use it works well for me, I do not need more, but I do not claim that since I do not need more,..... the HUD CAN AND SHOULD be improved on the existing one ... greetings

Kevin Karas likes this.
  9. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Yes agree, I should have marked it as a assumption!
    Well that fact THAT you are using additional HUD elements just prooves the fact that you actually NEED information not provided by stock games one, right? I mean, I myself just did a whole new Simhub Overlay just to get the information that other sims are providing for a very long time now. And I can say working with the rF2 data is a pain, because most important data isnt even provided, must be calculated very complitcated or even provided by external plugins. I mean look at the relative :D Those gap times are a joke. 100% useless. And until now nobody managed to get them show the real numbers...

I myself came to the conclusion that it may be time to speak up a little louder. The rF2 community always was one of the most patient and and friendly one when it came down to bugs and UX. And the player numbers are telling the story. There will be a point where S397 MUST change direction...

I really like the different kind of views people have in this thread. With just under 20k views im pretty sure S397 is silently reading along seeing all the frustration and also the things people like, appreciate or just nod away. So while this, of course, is some sort of a rant, we are keeping it down to earth but with alot of feelings. There is no way a game developing studio can just ignore it, like a lot are feeling what is happening in the last years

nolive721 and juanchioooo like this.
  10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I use a HUD edited in Dev Mode for me, because I use Virtual Reality, and the size and distances of some HUDs to others are different, with percentage of water, fuel consumption, wheels and damage ... I do not install applications of third because they all eat a lot of resources, they all give performance problems ... as simhub or Crew Chief for example, for my studio 397 it has done great to add labels, and I repeat that I agree with you that they should improve the official HUD in question to have more data, BUT STUDIO 397 MUST BE CONGRATULATED FOR ADDING THE LABELS
    I am very critical of studio 397, but I also congratulate them for the things that I think they do very well

Kevin Karas likes this.
  11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Aaaaand it's getting better and better. The most popular Sim racing content creator just recommended not to buy MSG latest NASCAR 21. Priorities well spent :D

pilAUTO likes this.
  12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

But no, going in circles on an "all round" track is fascinating in terms of driving... :Do_O:eek:

13. RDG

RDG Registered

Add to that the publicly streamed disaster that was the Le Mans Virtual at the ring yesterday where the server kept crashing and they ended up calling it quits after 4 out of the 8 hours. That was embarrassing to watch.

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  14. guenther

guenther Registered

As you don't have any informations about these servers, it's hard to judge _what_ was actually the issue. Stacks are large. Issues can be whatever complex. But I won't discuss that there is some flakyness in the server, not gonna lie.

15. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

You mean like it already was 2 years ago at le mans 24h virtual? Looks like they couldn't fix the issue in the meantime

16. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

You are mixing up two events.
    Le mans 24h virtual was held in 2020, it had a few restarts.
    Road to Le Mans / 24 hours of Le Mans was held in 2019, and was red flagged.

guenther likes this.
  17. IcyIce

IcyIce Registered

I saw the same issues they had on LeMans yesterday in different other Series based on rf2. It seems to be a major problem. They all had totally different Mods and not as many Drivers as in LeMans.

18. RDG

RDG Registered

First incident
    Second incident
    Third incident

When this stuff happened last year with the Le Mans Virtual everybody expected the issues and figured that S397 would analyse the issues and come with a fix on the back of rF2 being announced as the official platform for future WEC events. One and a half year later, we can't seem to hold an 8 hour race without issues to the point where they had to call it quits after only 4 hours.

This isn't a criticism to the hardworking developers doing their utmost to improve things (I know what it's like), this is a call to management to have a hard look at your development priorities as yesterday was the worst possible advertisement you could've received. I can only assume the sponsors aren't too happy either.

mantasisg and Mark Lloyd like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The only stuff where rF2 management seems to have gone smoothly - deals where the money runs. Utilizing rF2, which they did not create, to back up other games (Grand Tour Game, Motorsport Games (NASCAR Ignition)), running esports with huge money prizes, getting us to watch how some rich famous drivers and aliens play, running OFFICIAL virtual Lemans sponsored by millionaires, getting good licensing deals to roll out not shy priced DLCs.

[​IMG]

williang83 likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Is anyone watching those events though? Granted the Virtual Le Mans stream might have quite a few clicks, but I think S397 needs to get to the drawing board and make the product interesting for the average Joe and not some aliens and VIPS who drive anything where enough money is at stake, and not doing that well in that area either. They don't care if it is on rF2, iRacing or GT.

From an average user POV rF2 hasn't progressed all that much in the last couple of month and most of the stuff that was improved was more or less catching up instead of really pushing the product forward. Where are the promised big updates to the CS and the UI? It has been ages. At this pace and especialy considering the priorities I don't see them getting their stuff together until AC2 hit's the shelf. And given the road record of Kunos, that one will be a killer product. And this isn't just about the core product but also the content. Even on the content side it's a bit silent. Track updates have slowed down, eventhough the new releases by the track team have been great. But in terms of car content. I mean, what do you think where the CART lovers are going to spend their time after Reiza drops their bomb? Meanwhile we get another new GT3 car, a few BOP updates here and there and a few little sound and pyhsics improvments for cars that are great allready. The only stuff that really sucked me back in a bit were releases by modders. 'nough said. :rolleyes: