VR Lock to Horizon 100% Option?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RS8070, Oct 25, 2021.

1. RS8070

RS8070 Registered

This sim has felt 'off' to me in VR no matter how long I have tried to drive in it to get used to it- nauseating and head-ache inducing. I found that it was due to the inability to fully lock your view to the horizon in VR (ie. the car moves/rolls and the horizon does not). The 'stabilize horizon' option has not been effective for this since it does not fully lock the view. Am I missing an option or config file somewhere or is this not implemented yet? I've been in iRacing for the past year in VR and never had any nausea issues, since they have a full lock to horizon option (up to a point, if your car rolls over then your view as well).

Lock to horizon feels very natural to me right away since IRL you can bounce around and your eyes 'stabilize' the view up to a certain point from what your inner ear feels - this is what lock to horizon addresses, albeit imperfectly, since you don't feel any g-forces in VR. I'm afraid this sim is completely unplayable to me if this is not implemented in VR.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nope, not an option, either as a complete lock or a stronger version of what's there now.

3. Kahel

Kahel Registered

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Mr. PAUL JEFFREY answered this question:
    Are you planning to give Virtual Reality a boost? If so, in what sense or details do you foresee?

Nothing is planned there right now. VR just gets any generic graphics improvements.

:(:(:(:(:(

5. elbo

elbo Registered

Have you disabled the other head physics parameters, look ahead, yaw and set head physics to 0 because for me even with VR lock to horizon the head physics messes me up. When all off I find the VR experience quite comfortable.

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. RS8070

RS8070 Registered

Yes, currently I have no head physics enabled. I have tried all different combinations of settings, but this video I found shows the fundamental issue here:

rfactor 2 horizon stabilisation vs assetto corsa horizon lock - YouTube

3:55 = rfactor
    5:50 = assetto corsa
    Imagine you are in VR and are looking towards the corner- in rfactor its bouncing everywhere whereas in AC the car is bouncing but the view is steady. As far as I know, this cannot be currently done in rfactor? Is there no way to manipulate camera files, configs, etc to acheive this?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't horizon lock, no. If you repackage a mod (which means making a new custom version you can't use online and may interfere with updates depending how you package it) you could edit the .cam file to increase the camera inertia and effectively eliminate extra movement while still allowing banking and hills to work normally (the linked thread above has a discussion on that).

Even on screens I'd prefer a stronger stabilisation than we have.

8. RS8070

RS8070 Registered

This sounds like a good workaround, do you know if it is possible to repackage default vehicles? I did some searching around and wasn't able to find much.