[WIP] F1 1982 League Edition - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by EmperorOfFinland, Oct 16, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

F1 1982 LE by Varjanta SimRacing, Converted by EmperorOfFinland

So i was thinking what carmod i would try to convert since i have been doing tracks exclusively from now on and noticed that the RF1 version of the F1 1982 League Edition seemed to have most of the cars around for the season and because finland got the first drivers championship by keke rosberg i decided to convert the mod to RF2.

So the plan is to convert the mod to RF2 and add the new IBL/PBR shaders for the cars and keep the physics similar to original with only tweaks being on the turboengine to make it actually have a turbo on itself and tweak the original physics if needed for the NA and Turbo car.

I will also keep the existing upgrades for each car so you will have a choice of different car models that the mod contains so you have most of the seasons cars and configurations.

I will also upgrade some of the existing sounds for the cars.

F1 1982 Mod Cars 1.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 2.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 3.png

F1 1982 Mod Cars 4.png

I will spend more time tweaking the shaders when i figure them out completely so i will do the rest of the car as only the main bodyparts are with IBL/PBR shaders.

Bernat, datasting, LOurs_Gigi and 6 others like this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

Original Credits:

F1 1982 LE V.0.95
    by Varjanta SimRacing

TEAM
    3D models, car: Pedro (Ripping Corpse), JP Jarier
    3D models, cockpits: Luka K.
    Physics: Luka K. - JC Case
    Tire wear, 1.5L car: Leonardo de Souza
    Tire wear, 3.0L car: Taux
    Car Updates: Luka K. JC Case
    Skins: Pedro, Luka K, JP Jarier
    Ferrari textures: ChiefWiggum
    Helmet textures: JC Case, Pedro, JP Jarier
    Car sounds: Luka K. Juan Feri, JC Case
    Driver suit template: Eddie Matapayos
    Driver suits and face textures: ChiefWiggum, JC Case
    Engine models: Maurizio Gilles, Reuteman, JP Jarier
    Research: Luka K. JC Case, Flying Dutchman
    Problem solver extraordinar: *BlackMagic*
    All kinds of other stuff: JC Case

SPECIAL THANKS
    Pedro - Magnificent original GP4 mod -.Permission to use the Lamborghini Pace car
    ChiefWiggum - Awesome textures
    Montesky - Sounds from the 1988 mod
    Valiante - Permission to use graphics & objects from the 1985 Mod
    Hugh Jarse - For His Alternative Showroom 1.0
    Varjanta.com - the support from our members

And last but not least, Big Thanks to our awesome test team!
    Apex, Argl, *BlackMagic*, Don, Flying Dutchman, Kabo, Kiro, Leonardo de Souza, Louis and Taux.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    datasting, vava74, pascom and 5 others like this.
  3. jymp

jymp Registered

I do remember this mod from years ago, had potential, the wheels were all dull grey, and the tires sidewalls were very sharp tapered, fix that and hope you can make the cars with chrome wheels chrome, and the black wheels black

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  4. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Nice!! Started this myself years ago but never finished

5. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah i will try to figure out most of the stuff that is broken on it. my 3d skills are quite limited and its the reason why i have been sticking to conversions myself. i need to figure out the IBL/PBR tires and stuff like that. Im pretty certain i can make the wheels chrome pretty easily if needed with the shaders.

So i will probably be asking for help about them if i cant find info about it online. I probably need help on the turboengine as i plan to redo the turboengine ini file to have actual turbo on it with same stats as it currently has but that it has a qualiboost mode what allows for higher boost.

Here is the work from the teams i have been working today.

Alfa Romeo F1 1982 Mod Cars 5.png

Arrows F1 1982 Mod Cars 6.png

ATS F1 1982 Mod Cars 7.png

Brabham
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 8.png

Fittipaldi F1 1982 Mod Cars 9.png

Ligier
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 10.png

Lotus F1 1982 Mod Cars 11.png

March F1 1982 Mod Cars 12.png

I expect to finish the rest of the cars tomorrow 18/10/2021 for the carbody shader atleast, then i have to spend time reading about how to do the tires and rest of the cars to modern standards and finetune the current shaders. but now that i have done it i can simply just edit it on a per car basis so its much easier when the IBL/PBR shaders have been setup for the car in the first place.

pascom, GPNeville, bigbad and 4 others like this.
  6. jymp

jymp Registered

Sounds all good, hope your successful with the physics, tire size, chrome wheels, and sounds, this mod has potential, just never taken to the next level.

7. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i managed to put shaders to the rest of the cars, so basically i need to figure out the turboengine (someone can help me if they know how to convert a RF1 ''turbo'' engine to RF2 with same stats as on there but with actual turbo, and some support with revelant shaders and HDV file so the ai picks the right tires and so on. And figure out the tireshaders as i know how to add chrome and rimshaders myself

Here are the rest of the cars.

Mclaren
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 13.png

Osella
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 14.png

Renault
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 15.png

Theodore
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 16.png

Toleman
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 17.png

Tyrell
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 18.png

Williams
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 19.png

And a bonus picture of the cars accelerating from the line on keimola motor stadium
    F1 1982 Mod Cars 20.png

Now i will start the testing of the physics as i can test them atleast since the turboengine should not change much on itself the main thing is so its balanced with the naturally aspirated engine so 3.0L na and 1.5l turbo cars are about balanced for the championship. And add rest of the shaders but that should be fairly quick for each car now that the materials are setup for all the cars.

GPNeville, Mauro, oldman and 2 others like this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i packaged the mod in for normal RF2 to start the physics testing as i can just update the physics for the game before i do rest of the shaders in as i think physics are the most important thing for the mod to get right. With the mod running on main branch instead of devmode i can test different tracks easily.

Here is the folderstructure for the mod F1 1982 Mod UI 1.png
    Cars are under F1 1982 League Edition and are split to F1 1982 LE 1.5L Turbo and F1 1982 LE 3.0L NA and are seperated on their own teams like this so it will be easy to manage the teams and find what you need from there. I will add the pictures for the cars once i finish up the mod as this is just the first testversion for me.

Also here is alfa romeo on the customize screen as you see you have selection for many things. i might cut out the ones i dont get working on RF2 but you can adjust the Model, Cockpit Legs, FFB, Gearbox for sequential and H shifter and H shifter with clutch, Brakeheating is adjustable but i might cut it out after testing, And enginesound is adjustable and tiresounds, if it works on RF2, i have to find out does it work or not. F1 1982 Mod UI 2.png

So now i will start tweaking the physics with testers to get feedback on how i need to adjust it and how it feels as i cant put too much time on it myself due to injury but the cars seem to be driving under steering aid quite nicely and they feel that they might be challenging to drive.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    pascom likes this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Take away the main heading for each and just keep LE on the 1.5L and 3.0L. There are many subtrees already :)

10. EmperorOfFinland

Mod packages more nicely this way on my opinion ie that it does not take place and also both of the 1.5L and 3.0L will be under F1 1982 League Edition so it wont eat too much space on the list if you have more mods.

And i think the naming is just okay, it makes you click one extra time so i dont consider it too much personally as now everything packages neatly under F1 1982 League edition So it only eats 1 place on the list instead of 2, also they wont get seperated if you have similarly named mods.

Mauro and pascom like this.
  11. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

So glad you are doing this! Hit me on Discord if you need some small help with anything.

Corti and Mauro like this.
  12. EmperorOfFinland

Thanks for the offer postipate,

So i basically spent time speaking with postipate and i fixed a physics export error on the physics and the cars seem to go like on rails, with absurd downforce but the laptimes when i tested the cars on the ostereichring produced a qualification laptime that was around 1 second faster than the real pole. Now i know that im about 0.5-1.5 seconds off the alien pace myself. And i think i could take 1-2 seconds from the time if i practiced the track and setup the car like i usually do as the stock setup seems rather decent.

I clocked around 319kph on the backstraight of ostereichring. and produced a laptime of 1.26.333 with quali tires and qualiturbo engine when reallife pole was 1.27.612, now i could probably take out 1-3 seconds off the laptime with tweaking the setup even more.

But i do enjoy how the car drives personally but i think more tweaking is needed for optimising the feel of groundeffect and have a proper groundeffect feeling on it.

pkelly likes this.
  13. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, so nice project mate.
    Thanks for doing this for us ;)
    Good luck with it
    Cheers

14. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i got the FFB adjusted without altering the physics so the cars feel pretty good now and should not cause problems with too high FFB for people, it feels good on normal settings for my t300rs and i tested a friends logitech G29 with it.

i noted that changing
    [CONTROLS]
    NominalMaxSteeringTorque=10
    To
    [CONTROLS]
    NominalMaxSteeringTorque=25

Fixed the FFB issue where the wheel would have absurdly strong selfcentering, now the ffb works as intended, I took some laps around the loch drummond as its really bumpy and the bumps were absolutely horrible to drive through with the shaking and bouncing up and down when the car has no suspension, exactly how the drivers complained about back in the day. So it seems its lining up correctly, as the car has no packers and 650-900nm of springstiffness so that means you get thrown around in the car.

And the selfcentering is not like driving a 18 wheeler around the track

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    GPNeville and Mauro like this.
  15. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i have spent the day testing and the car has the same grip at 150mph or 240kph what it should approximately have but the car goes like on rails ie it does not drift at all when the downforce picks up.but it does so at lower speeds. i think this might be related to tires and the slip angle itself.

so peak downforce at max speed is around 17000n so at 315kph and 240kph it has 11000n or 2500 lb of downforce.

[FRONTWING]
    FWForceDistrib=(1:Front_Subbody)
    FWRange=(0, 1, 6) // front wing range
    FWSetting=0 // front wing setting
    FWMaxHeight=(0.33) // maximum height to take account of for downforce
    FWDragParams=(0.023, 0.0068, 0.00002) // base drag and 1st and 2nd order with setting
    FWLiftParams=(-0.0792, -0.0088, 1E-05) // base lift and 1st and 2nd order with setting
    FWDraftLiftMult=1.4 // Half,1st,2nd order effects on lift with front wing height
    FWLiftHeightPlus=(0.0,,0.0) // Half,1st,2nd order effects on lift with front wing height
    FWLiftSideways=(0.047) // dropoff in downforce with yaw (0.0 = none, 1.0 = max)
    FWLiftPeakYaw=(0, 1) // Angle of peak, multiplier at peak
    FWLeft=(-0.02, 0, 0) // aero forces from moving left
    FWRight=(0.02, 0, 0) // aero forces from moving right
    FWUp=(0, -0.06, 0.006) // aero forces from moving up
    FWDown=(0, 0.06, -0.003) // aero forces from moving down
    FWAft=(0, 0.04, -0.04) // aero forces from moving rearwards
    FWFore=(0, 0, 0) // aero forces from moving forwards (recomputed from settings)
    FWRot=(0.1, 0.05, 0.15) // aero torque from rotating
    FWCenter=(0, -0.18, -0.70) // center of front wing forces (offset from center of front axle in ref plane)

[REARWING]
    RWForceDistrib=(1:Rear_Subbody)
    RWRange=(11.0, 1.0, 10) // rear wing range
    RWSetting=1 // rear wing setting
    RWDragParams=(0.0585, 0.00688, 0.00002) // base drag and 1st and 2nd order with setting
    RWLiftParams=(-0.1531, -0.01201, -0.000002) // base lift and 1st and 2nd order with setting
    RWDraftLiftMult=0.2 // Effect of draft on rear wing's lift response
    RWLiftSideways=(0.094) // Dropoff in downforce with yaw (0.0 = none, 1.0 = max)
    RWLiftPeakYaw=(0.0, 1.0) // Angle of peak, multiplier at peak
    RWLeft=(-0.05, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving left
    RWRight=(0.05, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving right
    RWUp=(0.0, -0.09, 0.03) // aero forces from moving up
    RWDown=(0.0, 0.09 -0.02) // aero forces from moving down
    RWAft=(0.0, 0.08, -0.08) // aero forces from moving rearwards
    RWFore=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving forwards (recomputed from settings)
    RWRot=(0.10, 0.05, 0.15) // aero torque from rotating
    RWCenter=(0, 0.50, 0.64) // center of rear wing forces (offset from center of rear axle at ref plane)

[BODYAERO]
    BodyForceDistrib=(1:Front_Subbody)
    BodyDragBase=(0.142) // base drag
    BodyDragHeightAvg=(0.350) // drag increase with average ride height
    BodyDragHeightDiff=(0.900) // drag increase with front/rear ride height difference
    BodyMaxHeight=(0.40) // maximum ride height that affects drag/lift
    DraftBalanceMult=2.00 // Effect of draft on aerodynamic downforce balance of car (bigger numbers exaggerate the effect)
    BodyDraftLiftMult=0.2 // Effect of draft on body's lift response
    RadiatorDraftFract=1.5 // effect of draft on the radiator cooling, 0.0 (no effect) to 1.0 (full effect)
    BodyNegRakeDrag=(0,0,5) // if rake is negative, use absolute value of rake angle: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyPosRakeDrag=(0,0,5) // if rake is positive: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyNegRakeLift=(0,0,5) // if rake is negative, use absolute value of rake angle: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyPosRakeLift=(0,0,5) // if rake is positive: (coeff*degrees, coeff*degrees^2, maxDegrees)
    BodyLeft=(-0.7, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving left
    BodyRight=(0.7, 0.0, 0.0) // aero forces from moving right
    BodyUp=(0.0, -1.7, 0.0) // aero forces from moving up
    BodyDown=(0.0, 1.7, 0.0) // aero forces from moving down
    BodyAft=(0.0, 0.10, -1.00) // aero forces from moving rearwards
    BodyFore=(0.0, -0.2200, 0.370) // aero forces from moving forwards (lift value important, but drag overwritten)
    BodyRot=(4.0, 3.0, 2.0) // aero torque from rotating
    BodyCenter=(0.0, 0.290, -1.330) // center of body aero forces (offset from center of rear axle at ref plane)
    RadiatorRange=(0.0, 1.0, 4) // radiator range (front grille tape)
    RadiatorSetting=3 // radiator setting
    RadiatorDrag=(0.0090) // effect of radiator setting on drag
    RadiatorLift=(0.0100) // effect of radiator setting on lift
    BrakeDuctRange=(0.0, 1.0, 5) // brake duct range
    BrakeDuctSetting=2 // brake duct setting
    BrakeDuctDrag=(0.014) // effect of brake duct setting on drag
    BrakeDuctLift=(0.0110) // effect of brake duct setting on lift
    BaseDropoffLeadFollow=(0.09,0.18) //BaseDropoffLeadFollow=(<lead>,<follow>)
    LeadingExponent=5.70 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on leader (default=2.0)
    FollowingExponent=1.75 // RFM Drafting override: Higher number -> lower effect on followers (default=2.0)
    VehicleWidth=2.00 // RFM Drafting override: Helps determine base width of wake (default=1.9)
    SideEffect=0.35 // RFM Drafting override: Negative effects of side-by-side drafting (default=0.35)

[DIFFUSER]
    DiffuserForceDistrib=(1:Front_Subbody)
    DiffuserBasePlus=(-2.335,0, 2, 75) // (Base lift,<SquareRoot (New)>,<Linear (2nd)>,<Squared (3rd))
    DiffuserFrontHeightPlus=(0,0.8,0,0.1) //(<SquareRoot (New)>,<Linear (Old)>,<Squared>,<Max Front Height>.)
    DiffuserRake=(-0.02, -5, 150) // Optimum rake (rear - front ride height), 1st order with current difference from opt, 2nd order
    DiffuserLimits=(0.03, 0.1, 0.075) // Min ride height before stalling begins (0.0=disabled), max rear ride height for computations, max rake difference for computations
    DiffuserStall=(0.1, 1.0) // Function to compute stall ride height (0.0=minimum, 1.0=average), downforce lost when bottoming out (0.0=none, 1.0=complete stall)
    DiffuserDraftLiftMult=1.0 // Effect of draft on diffuser's lift response
    DiffuserSideways=(0.094) // Dropoff with yaw (0.0 = none, 1.0 = max)
    DiffuserPeakYaw=(0, 1) // Angle of peak, multiplier at peak
    DiffuserCenter=(0, -0.142, -1.166) // Center of diffuser forces (offset from center of rear axle at ref plane)

So im wondering how i could keep the existing grip but allow the cars to slip slightly so you could 4 wheel drift them at speed. instead of them going straight on rails when the downforce picks up at speed with the diffuser. the car gains massive downforce once it goes around 100-150kph and exceeds that and at full speed it practically goes on rails due the downforce it has and the completely stiff suspension it has as suspension has 650-950nm as stiffness, around 800-860nm at stock.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Corti likes this.
  16. SharD

SharD Registered

Hi, I have converted this mod as well. You can have it for reference if you want to, as I don't plan to release it. GRAB_175.JPG GRAB_176.JPG GRAB_177.JPG GRAB_178.JPG GRAB_179.JPG

Endor, Corti and Mauro like this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

I could use some of the models to combine into the existing mod to be honest so if you have the mod dev version i could take a look and develop stuff from it, i would credit you for the work you have done on the mod if i find something i can use on the mod. as i want the best possible version that is possible with the already existing stuff that we have. so i could take the missing models from there and maybe some of the skins too.

to create the ultimate leagueedition by combining the mods and models together. so hit me up on private message and i will start integrating the stuff in if there is something useful :D

Endor likes this.
  18. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i i will go test the cars on a track, i cut down about 20% of the diffuser downforce to line up the current downforcenumbers to approximately what they should be for going 240kph, now i will go check the laptimes around osterreichring to see can i get the car similar to the poletimes of the qualifying with qualitires.

19. Endor

Endor Registered

Hello, very nice idea for rf2 !
    some months ago we created a complete mod for rfactor1 with all models, as Brabham BT49D, toleman TG181B, Fittipaldi F8D,etc using also some elements made by chiefwiggum (helmets, engines...) and updated liveries . Feel free to use it if you need something :

https://rfactor1endorteam.wordpress.com/2020/10/19/mod-1982/

Corti, Mauro and SharD like this.
  20. EmperorOfFinland

Ah excellent so i can use the assets too for that and combine them :D so i can create the ultimate F1 1982 Mod, i will ofcourse put the content im using into the release notes so people who did the models and such get credit what they really deserve for doing that

Endor likes this.