rFactor question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Nagy, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

I realize this is an RF2 forum, and I'm very grateful for the tremendous amount of help I've received here over the last year or so, but I was hoping there are some people here knowledgeable about rFactor (1?) who could answer a question for me. I live in Austin, Texas, and there's a track just outside of Austin called Harris Hill Raceway, which I've recently started doing events at with my Porsche 968 track car. My sim coach managed to find a copy of Harris Hill Raceway on rFactor, and he put together a Porsche 944 whose specs match those of my real car very closely (I have no clue how he did any of this). This has helped me learn HHR very well, and has helped me with my driving in my real car, which was my goal.

There's just one problem; when I have any amount of force feedback selected in my Fanatec tuning menu (I have a DD1), the sim, and I'm not making this up, literally drives itself. Here's a short video I took of the car idling in the pits, without me touching the wheel or pedals:

As you can see, the wheel is turning on its own, and it continues to do this while driving the car, essentially fighting me while I try to drive the car. After trying many things, the only thing that worked was completely turning off the Overall FFB Strength in the tuning menu. Here are my current Fanatec tuning menu settings:

upload_2021-10-17_16-47-17.png

Even having the FFB strength set to 5% creates the bizarre self-driving effect. So I'm very pleased to be able to practice driving on my local track on my sim, but I would really like to be able to experience the tactile feedback that FFB provides, and it's frustrating not to be able to use the main feature of my expensive direct drive wheel. I don't have this problem in rFactor2.

Does anybody have any suggestions of things I could try to run FFB in rFactor without the game taking over my steering? I looked for an rFactor-focused forum, and was surprised that I couldn't find one, so if anyone knows of a good resource for help with issues in rFactor, please pass them along to me. Thanks.

2. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

Might be a silly question but have you turned off all the steering / braking assists etc as that sounds like it could be more your cause rather than wheel ffb etc.

3. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Not a silly question at all, and that's what my coach initially suspected, so I confirmed that I have all my driving assists turned off. I was skeptical that the problem was associated with the FFB, but that's the only thing we've found that modulates the self-driving problem. Also, setting the max steering angle and the value of Steering Wheel Range in the controller.ini file both to 360 degrees eliminated the mismatch between the number of degrees the physical wheel and the sim wheel turn, as seen in the video. Unfortunately, this had no impact on the self-driving problem.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you know if you're running any of the FFB plugins?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And just to be certain. Is the negative fab box checked? If so, I check it.

6. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

@Lazza: lol - seeing as I haven't the foggiest idea what an FFB plugin is, I doubt I have any

@davehenrie: That doesn't ring a bell, either; Could you tell me what screen the negative fab box is on (and similar to the my ignorance of FFB plugins, what does the negative fab box do?). Is it a Fanatec setting of some kind, or something within rFactor? I took a quick look through the screens, and couldn't find it in either place.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He means FFB. Where you set the strength you can make it negative or positive. Try both.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I would agree with dirtnz. I think you have steering assist or auto correct spin enabled and it's trying to get you pointed the right direction.

9. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

@Lazza: Thanks; Yes, I'm aware that FFB strength in rFactor can be both positive and negative. I've tried a wide range of values, both positive and negative, and it doesn't make any difference. I thought a plug-in is a packet of software added by a third party to add some sort of specialized capability to the native software. At least that's my highly uneducated layman's understanding...

@88mphTim: I agree that my symptoms sound like some sort of assist gone bonkers, but I've definitely turned them all off. The only thing that turns off the poltergeist trying to take control of my sim is turning the overall FFB strength to zero. I have it set to 55% when I play RF2, and it provides the perfect amount of feedback in the Radical SR1 I drive in RF2.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If turning the FFB down makes a difference then I think it could be an issue with the tires. Things like this usually were more noticeable when standing still as cars would walk/slide sideways. If no other car does this then he needs to look at his mod.