The rFactor 2 Blog | Tracks

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Not quite sure what you are asking here, about half cooked statements.

On our wish list - every track.
    Planned - can't say due to licencing agreements.

:)

trichens, memoNo1 and Remco Majoor like this.
  2. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think he's saying if the modders knew which tracks S397 are working on the modders could work on other tracks and not end up working on a track that gets released as official and they've 'wasted' their work ;)

3. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

Car question #1: How much of work is it to refresh or re-export the textures on older content, like GT2 and GT1, and Corvette street cars? There are some purple/greenish compression artefacts all over the interior and headlight halos, and tail light halo textures are flickering on some cars.

Although I suppose you would want to re-model the meshes as well, which then means different textures and UVs anyway.

Car question #2: Have you considered licenzing historic cars? Although there is MAK Corp 1991 endurance car mod already, I would by official Mazda 787B DLC in a heart beat.

Nick9320 likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

Have you planned to make easier the creation of the icons of the cars/skins?
    At this moment is not possible to create an icon with transparent background as before.
    This makes the task much more difficult if you want to get a good result.
    Thanks

bears, Emery and atomed like this.
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This? https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?applicationform/support-question.6/form

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep.

And I think Paul is rightly responding that they can't 'announce' any upcoming tracks until they're allowed. So that's something of an impasse.

Annoying for track makers, but not S397's fault either.

The tyres have parameters defining basic grip vs temperature. It should be possible to make 'cold' tyres very slippery.

That aside, have you tested (measured) grip levels vs temperature? Do you have references of similar real life tyres to compare to? Have you done this?

(I realise people will take the 'user shouldn't need to do this' view. I would say how can someone ask for an improvement without identifying proof of a fault?)

memoNo1 and Nieubermesch like this.
  7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Is it planned to properly fix this slipstream issue on GT3 cars?

I had assumed that this "dirty air bugfix" in February was just a temporary workaround. Currently there is no slipstream effect at all with GT3 cars.

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

1. Why are the mirrors such a mess on most official cars? Many modders release cars with mirrors pointing the right direction.

2. What is the reasoning behind the fact that you have to adjust the mirrors and the ffb level for every skin/livery instead of just for the car? Thats extremely annoying.

3. Are you going to make the cars VR ready? So you Can see the rear wheels, the mirrors work according to head position etc?

4. Any plans to enhance the sound engine?

Akela_DE, Emery, TJones and 4 others like this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

The LeMans virtual championship is going on right now. In the live stream, we can see lots of drivers crashing out hard in Eau Rouge and pouhon for example. Really high speed crashes, yet not race ending. Even with sideways impact tyres stay on the car, suspension only gets bent. The only thing that breaks off is the rear wing. I doubt they are not running with 100% damage, and I notice it in other definitely running 100% damage series as well. Why is it so hard to make cars get realistic damage (at least a realistic result) from high speed impacts? rF2 has the ability to have proper damage, why isn't it utilized?

r00b Driver, datasting and memoNo1 like this.
  10. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

I would like to see better Body damage. Yes you can make parts fall off or get bent but what about a crinkled fender, hood or rear deck lid when you smack into something? rFactor1 did this with vert damage and with todays tech you should be able to accomplish this at some point. Another damage I would like to see implemented in the tire model is too low of tire pressure damaging the tire as in real life and the possibility of tire punctures or cuts due to contact to a sharp object. Do you think this will be implemented in the near future as well?

11. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Is it planned to update more cars (especially DLC cars) to PBR in the near future? For example the "new" Bentley GT3 looks amazing meanwhile the Porsche is a nightmare compared to it.

AlexHeuskat, bears and VirusGR42 like this.
  12. benborp

benborp Registered

I'll just point out that two assertions in the blog aren't true.

1. Stars aren't accurately displayed in game. The entire southern hemisphere doesn't exist.

2. Circuit elevation has zero effect on performance. Air density does get incorporated into engine performance calculations but regardless of circuit elevation a standard atmosphere of 101.32 kPa is always used.

13. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Dear Devs,
    do you plan dynamic dust and dirt accumulation on cars/windshields in the near future?
    (You might call it "real car" ;) )

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

QUESTION:

Always looking at how things can be made graphically consistent across DLC and mods, leaving less up to interpretation by mod makers. In terms of PBR tyres, would it be possible to have the damage to be a common map? Maybe the user adjusted settings for the shader could be just the tyre texture and an added region map to show the game where the tyre tread is and perhaps a JSON tweak to allow scale/depth of damage and possibly direction of travel if needed?

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Let no one be offended, but the truth is that if you go to the forum of the ams2, assetto competizione, iracing, project cars, and ask about those crap of dirt in the car, stars and density of the air, they send you to scald chives
    [​IMG]

16. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

This is why I don't go to those forums ;)

pkelly and juanchioooo like this.
  17. benborp

benborp Registered

I'm more concerned that devs have given a response to a question stating that two things are implemented and working in game when the most cursory examination reveals that just isn't true.

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I don't agree with many things that studio 397 does but ...

I do not attack you or the other partner, that does not go there, .... this is about the fact that sometimes the level of demand is exaggeratedly high and if I think there are things of greater importance that are dismissed,

That is why I put in that no one be offended, in any case I will tell you that there are so many things that have not yet been fulfilled, that are still in the trunk of memories, but sadly it is what there is ...:(

19. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Can anyone confirm the air density thing? Is it really not in the engine´s capabilities or is it just not used?
    If performance can actually be affected by air density, is the issue more like sparks, that are technically in the game but also off because they looked godawfull or is it more like the damage model, that is just not used very well if at all in most cars?
    It wouldn´t be the first time they lied about a feature being already implemented, tbh

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The altitude thing struck me also when reading, but I haven't tested so didn't want to post and maybe be wrong.

The engine file gives an atmospheric pressure as part of its definition, so the game does have that as info. I've never tried altering that value to see if the game actually applies the current (fixed?) pressure, or the figure is just ignored.

I'm not sure how to take the statement. Marcel no doubt has a lot on his plate, has probably seen hundreds or thousands of plans and code comments (some implemented, some todo items), and may have simply misremembered. I don't know how much modding he's done himself.

At the same time, I know the dozen or so things I've thought have relatively simple stopgap solutions over the years might have got lost in the noise, and the worry is this trend won't ever change.

Mitch9 likes this.