Rain with AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThomasJohansen, Aug 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Wanted to try out the SSR at Le mans so did a 60 min race with AI.

SSR looks great :)

AI were at 100% and first half of race was dry. I could keep up in a oreca (and more) with the AI oreca's (3:38-3:40) but the ligier was a few seconds faster (3:37) fair enough.
    Every LMP2 pitted half way to fuel up and 1 lap after it started to rain.
    I pitted next for wet tires, though track wetness was only 15%. It was a good choice because it was already getting slippery, and soon after it was 45% track wetness.
    But AI waited 2-3 laps more, driving 3:45s on hard tires, before they pitted for rain tires (the rain just stopped). They kept doing 3:45-3:50 times.
    My times on wets was more like 4:02s, and even the GTE's were doing same lap times as me on wets.

So to my questions:

Do I really suck that much on wet tires?
    and/or are the AI's unrealisticly fast in rain on both hards and wets?

(I think the AI's at 100%, could be faster, since I only gave them half a qual session to practice.)

atomed likes this.
  2. PhilT

PhilT Registered

I found this as well. I did a 12 lap race at Sebring last night and 2 or 3 laps from the end the rain came down. Light at first, I thought I'd be able to make it but grip dropped off a cliff as it came down hard. Admittedly, this was the first time in the rain in rF2 but the AI was just flying and didn't even pit. I'll check the footage later to confirm lap times but that can't be right.

I'll echo that SSR does look great :)

It chucked it down with rain then transitioned into a night race. It was crazy!

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I find the A.I. in RF2 are generally too fast in the rain, in AMS2 they are generally too slow, and in ACC they seem to be about right, this has given me a little idea I think, thanks!

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Speaking of AI pace in wet. They definitely are off a lot of the times, mostly too fast, or much too fast. I have no idea why it is so. I guess it really could be that developers of cars don't put effort in configuring AI to match players pace. While it could also be true that some of us, really suck badly in the rain, in many cases we can't be that bad to be that much slower than AI. More so, rF2 does not simulate some of the stuff that could help to cut lots of laptime in the wet, as it is IRL, so there is no hidden way to extract anything more for player. IRL being fast in wet helps to unlock even more speed, thats why we can sometimes witness some drivers blowing away all the rest, it happens because they can go faster, and because they can go faster, they can go even faster. Optimum tire pressures in the wet are higher, also heat in the tires is very rewarding - can't be maintained if going slowly. But AI in the wet in rF2 is much too fast usually because they simply have too much wet/damp friction dialed in for AI, and my most simple guess is that physics makers or/and testers are simply not enthusiastic about getting best of what is possible in rF2 wet road simulation.

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

The AI in the rain do not work properly. It has been this way for years and there have been countless threads made about these issues, but nothing ever gets done. The devs simply don’t have the talent to fix these issues, or they either don’t care as they have their priorities like introducing a fairly average UI and over priced tracks that don’t work properly for the AI.

JimmyT likes this.
  6. PhilT

PhilT Registered

I'd say they just haven't gotten around to it. However, given the new SSR work that was done recently and the new rain drop effects they've been working on I'd be surprised if they don't address the actual gameplay as well.

7. PhilT

PhilT Registered

From yesterdays blog post:
    And there we have it. Can't wait to see what comes out of this.