Config Error

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by stmrecon, Oct 12, 2021.

1. stmrecon

stmrecon Registered

First it wouldn’t connect to my DD1 and now I can’t even start the game I am somewhat new at this so be easy with me

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Some added detail would be helpful. Launching from Steam? Running the video config tool? Then loading the sim. Where does it hang up and what is the error message?

3. stmrecon

stmrecon Registered

Launching from steam it says (json) failed to perform operation, unsupported type. Before this happen I was trying to adjust wheel settings and lost connection to my DD1 and couldn’t get that to work and now I can’t even get to the game. I went to ACC and everything worked fine there

4. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

I had to sort this out for one of our community members the other night, for some reason rf2 completely whipped clean all of his .json files in the player folder like totally blank, the files themselves are still there but contain no txt within them what so ever.

go to your userdata/player folder and delete all .json files altogether, re launch the game and it will generate all new ones however you will need to reconfigure all your settings and controls again etc.

5. stmrecon

stmrecon Registered

That worked I really appreciate the help I have not owned a computer in over 20 years and I decided to get into sim racing not knowing that I needed to be a computer genius to figure this stuff out but I can’t quit now it’s too much fun thanks again.

6. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

To be honest mate you shouldn't need to be a genius either this sim has just been made well and truly over complicated in recent years, however this must be a relatively new and potentially unreported bug as up until recently Id never seen it before in all the years using rf2 but you are now the second person within a week so it's not just a one off issue it would seem.

Glad you got up and running again none the less.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unfortunately corrupt (empty) JSON files have been around (in rF2) for about 3 years now. The game still can't detect them and offer workarounds, and isn't doing automatic backups after successful starts.

They're usually related to a game crash (perhaps a silent one on exit).