Latest Roadmap Update - September 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 30, 2021.

1. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

can you time the nordschleife with a car only, on my sistem it takes 46 seconds on second load on both sata 6 and NVMe PCIe 4.0

2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Nords with only one GTE Aston Martin with max settings on all graphics. Graphic settings will make a difference with loading times.
    53 seconds.
    Do a test with 35 AI S397 GTEs and max settings on all graphics options.

3. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

i did a retest with NVMe PCIe 4.0, you guys were right , my loading is 1m.35s compared to 4m.50s with sata 6 , with a massive ammount of cars & tracks and skins
    disks used: WD Black 500GB SN850 SSD M.2 2280, WD 4TB Black HDD 7200RPM 256MB Cache

(edit) i did again the test with the NVMe but this time with the latest stable release and the difference is 13 seconds compared to the release candidate , i performed the test twice and with system restart

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  4. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

i did a test , it takes 1m 4sec with 35 porche gte all graphics on ultra , i started the count when the track logo appear not when i pressed the race button

5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

All my timings were started when I pressed the race button and with all makes of the S397 GTEs. Your last test was with just one make of car which is just one car folder it needs to access. My last test was the same as yours except I used the Aston, the time was 1min 8seconds. So I think we have proved loading times are faster with the latest update but it probably will vary with peoples different systems and how they are set up. There's probably a lot of badly setup systems around with loads crap running in the background. Been nice to compare this with you.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Did a bunch of quick tests (not ultra precise as I didn't have time to repeat test everything)

Loading from launch to game menu opening up: opt-out: 40 seconds rc: 35 seconds
    First track load Nordschleife 0 AI: opt-out: 4 min 10 seconds rc: 2 min 40 seconds
    First track load Nordschleife 0 AI, new test: opt-out: 4 min 10 seconds rc: 1 min 10 seconds
    Subsequent loading Nordschleife 0 AI: opt-out: 1 min 20 seconds rc: 1 min 5 seconds
    Switching series from all cars and tracks: opt-out 10 seconds rc: 10 seconds
    Switching series to all cars and tracks: opt-out 21 seconds rc: 17 seconds

The first loading delay seems to have been completely solved, which is great news. Still not sure what was going on in the first attempt with rc as it took a bit longer to load that time (2 min 40 seconds), but even that was 90 seconds quicker than first loading on opt-out. I think track loading times are now competitive and pretty much sorted because I bet the first loading is what most random users were irritated about.

Switching between series has improved, but I'd still argue 17 seconds is a too long wait on Ryzen 5 3600 and SSD. Anything over 10 seconds seems like an eternity in this instant app response age we are living in.

Kahel and mesfigas like this.
  7. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

in august roadmap was said loadings will be a real world improvement, but in fact nothing was actually improved

8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I think you're all impatient and needy. I mean listen to yourself. It's a few minutes for gods sake, go open your curtains or something. Do you moan at your other half because dinner is taking too long?

guenther likes this.
  9. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

my nords loading is 46 seconds

10. stonec

stonec Registered

No, but these are things that matter for the user experience. There is now so much choice in the sim world that it comes down to small margins to get a user drawn to a certain sim. If a new user gets greeted with rF2 Nordschleife loading for over five minutes and the first time he loads another sim it loads in less than a minute, that may be the deciding factor for someone who drives casually and doesn't know much about physics or that sort of stuff. Thankfully it's now heading in the right direction.

It sounds like you are only testing game load time. Have a look at the numbers I posted above. The improvement is huge and especially in those critical scenarios I mentioned.

mesfigas likes this.
  11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

RC the first time without shaders on the Nordschleife with the Nürburgring Grand Prix, 30 AI 4.20
    second time, 30 AI 1.50
    and the third time 0 AI 1.15

12. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

i did a test with the Ai as well , if you scroll up you can see the results,

13. Djamil Dris

Djamil Dris Registered

Hi s397 group please guys can you update the sky and cloud textures pleaaaaaaaase it is the only annoying thing to see while driving
    pleaaaaaaaaase

14. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Are y guys going to implement any "clutch engaged" option? As it is now there is no clutch option for the h pattern shifter cars, which means that y can change gear without pressing the clutch (i know there is a tweak bout that but i was talking about a native solution here)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    avenger82 and Remco Majoor like this.
  15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I can reply to this: it's on a TODO list:) But seriously I hope that since S397 is hiring a physics guy he would work on rF2's physics engine issues and it'll be high priority on TODO list

Haris1977 likes this.
  16. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Why not outsource physics development to ISI?

williang83 and Bill Worrel like this.
  17. Filip

Filip Registered

That reminds me of a developer who got sick and tired working on a certain project for years, he quit and moved to another company. Little did he know that after a few days on a new job the new company outsourced him to work on that very project he run away from. Explanation was that he was the best man for the job as he new that stuff. :D

avenger82 likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Wonder why I never got outsourced?????

19. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I start wonder if we ever see (again as I think it was at some point) a track map and a FFB meter?

I mean I am using fantastic Simhub with overlays and dashboards to compensate this lack of features but how difficult is that to implement really?
    I am no software developer but manage a team in a fast pace industry and we always push ourselves with new goals and defined deadlines so....:confused::confused::confused:

and a FFB increase/decrease key binding option in the lot would be nice:D

avenger82 and dryheat94 like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@nolive721 an actual track map, and FFB meter, have never been part of the game.