Released Released | BMW M4 Class 1 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 24, 2021.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that there hasn't been any update of the tyre model.
    They have taken more data from Goodyear and have created new tyres.

EDITED: I found it.
    https://www.studio-397.com/2021/07/released-formula-pro/

mesfigas likes this.
  2. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Things go wrong when you set up a bumpstop travel which forces the car sitting in the bumpstop allready in the box. This is not the only car. The stockcar recently comes into my mind.
    Then there are cars where the bumpstop travel is incorrectly influenced by rideheight, see prototypes.
    Then there is the good old cv7. With bumpstop 0, you still run into bumpstop at rideheight < ~35-40mm . Yet you can set front to 45mm rh, lowest of all gt3. Clearly an error since years . Maybe you get similar effect for bumpstop 30mm and lowest rh for the cv7?

Sim_Player likes this.
  3. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

As said cv7 has
    Hi sim_player
    I think I misunderstood you. You talk about the suspension damping setting, not about packer (bump) stop, right?
    What you describe is maybe a phenomen i encountered in the past for the radical and also lmp - when joining track, or after stopping, the suspension travel was hanging at a different value than expected. But whenever you start moving the car, by 1mph, the telemetry output went back to "normal". I just tried to reproduce for radical and lmp2 but it seems to be fixed meanwhile.

What I was talking about is this for the cv7, all I did is from default setup (white comparison) to dial in 25mm front packer (coloured) - as you can see the front is lifted by ~20mm (from 45 to 66) standing still in the box. Logically, with 25mm packer, the difference is 20mm in rideheight, so 5mm has no effect, so 45-5 = 40 => bumpstop indeed happens at < ~40mm front rideheight even if you have 0 packer configured. But this is a completly different effect.

Attached Files:

4. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

The tyres are the big problem of this car. The feeling is the tyres are from wood. No grip on slow corner, very easy to blocking the tyres on braking with very low breaking pressure and 50/50% brake balance.
    This is a big mistake on the tyres.
    Pls repair it, or pls show public the tyre's physics and i can repair it for my league.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Interesting, as this comment is 180 degrees counter to pretty much every other comment here about the tires. Can you maybe share what exactly is the problem. No grip in slow corners can mean overly aggressive driving as well, which makes sense as previously you could just abuse slip angle and sliding a lot.

6. vava74

vava74 Registered

Personally I believe these tyres are an immense step forward and a welcomed deviation from the tyres with never ending grip that GT3 and GTE cars fare.
    Is the car tricky to drive? Yes, but the discipline it takes is consistent with how demanding these cars seem to be in comparison with the "gentlemen race cars" which GTs are.

7. TJones

TJones Registered

I also think that the tyres here, are a lot better than those for GT3/GTE/LMP cars. Yes the construction seem to be stiffer than the old one's. While those felt more like bias-ply tyres rather than radials IMO. Even an LMP2 for example, with some good practice of course, I could drive them very hard/roughly, throwing the car into a corner almost like a kart.
    @Imre Bende Do you use a load-cell sensor for braking?
    I think those DTM cars weren't very easy to brake, especially if you come from formula cars, because you cant see the wheels. I remember that Mika Hakkinen back then had also problems at first with blocking tyres. AFAIK the real car has slip indicator led's, which should also help.

Jimmy Broadbend had once the chance, to test the professional racing simulator from BMW. (Also rFactor, but Pro not 2) :D

8. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

Yes, tricky to drive, because the tyre's mechanical grip is too low. No grip in slow corners. Too easy to blocking the front tyres via slow mechanical grip. We use 50/50% brake balance - what's crazy - but the front tyres blocking. The brake pressure is very low too, but not help.

In real life, the rear tyre's degradation is biggest if the car rwd. Now, the front tyres 5-6% / lap, rear tyres 1-2% / lap.

But this problem is very old in rFactor 2 and the S397 not repair it. If we get non-encrypted physics files, we can repait it for own league.

9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Can you maybe share video, or motec of this?

It also depends on the track what tires wear quicker. It's also dependent on aero balance, and suspension setup

10. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

yes, i will made video

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

What wheel are you using?

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

this car uses the new tyre data that s397 is still developing.
    so they will update the tires in this car if i understand correctly about their new tire route for the all the cars not only the BMW

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The simple possible laptimes and especially possible cornering speeds are enough to back up that this car in fact has lots of grip, very unlikely it lacks it comparing to reality. Just as we discussed about exactly same thing earlier in this thread. The composition of friction alone can result in very significant differences in how the peak friction has to be obtained, what driving style is the best, how much concentration is required, how much narrow is the optimum performance window and so on...

I also have had same though/idea, that this car still has not that well sorted out tires, exactly for same reason for struggling with friction at low speeds when it is mostly up to mechanical functioning of tires (without much involvement of aerodynamics). However, it must be considered that this car might be just too much of a beast to be driven up to its peak paces that easily. It is possible to drive this car smoothly and achieve superb performance at all speeds, but it takes great skill of maintaining tires at their happy working windows. And it is possible to do, just not easy.

I think it is fair to debate about details, specific elements of how stuff works. But I am against entirely shifting paradigm of how things should work towards less realistic, but more blue pilled lower skill gratifying way.

One thing which I am legit still shaking my head is tire wear. Would it really be this bad ? I mean I agree it is possible, but it is just hard not to doubt that it really is so easy to chew up them. I guess the monster this car is, it could be realistic just like that. It would be fair to pay better attention to RL DTM races how much they changes tires.

Also @Imre Bende I think it is wrong to claim that IRL RWD will always wear rear tires more. It just depends on a lot of factors, including driving style/skills. I have not noticed that in rF2 fronts would wear off first. Moreover, I can change that by either changes of my driving or/and car setup. Ideally tires should wear as evenly in all corners as possible, but it is also not always possible depending on tracks layout. Naturally fronts will suffer more with tracks that has more demanding braking sections, as well as tires on one side will wear more on tracks that has much more turns to one side than to another side...

mesfigas likes this.
  14. vava74

vava74 Registered

I believe that these now defunct DTMs burned tyres like there was no tomorrow. From memory, there are plenty of references to this.
    And you are - I believe - right in saying that the crucial element with this car is not managing a certain lap time, but to do it in such a way that it was sustainable over the course of the race. Not just on 1 or 2 laps.

mantasisg likes this.
  15. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

3-4 laps and the front tyres are gone.

16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

As I expected, you are overdriving a lot. You are understeering, trying to go into tight hairpins with 90/100 kph, which makes your tires overheat and thermal deg a lot. As I said before, you can't drive it like other cars in rf2

doddynco, Nieubermesch and atomed like this.
  17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

this car is not easy to master
    need very carefull inputs not to melt the tires
    very easy to overdrive while fighting the corner since there is no traction control

18. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

We're racing in real life, and never seen that front tyres overheating before the rear tyres (after 2-3 laps). Never. When blocking the front tyres, we have big vibrations, but not overheating. This is stupid thing.
    With Lotus, BMW, etc.

Nevermind. I would like edit to the tyres physics files, but these encrypted.

We started a Class1 online championship with 24-25 drivers, and now the drivers logout from championship because the car tyres isn't usable. If it the good way for S397, the rF2 will be dead soon. But maybe dead now already and the ACC is the future. It's sad.

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

God bless simracing.

I am not surprised if for every red pilled sirmacer there are 10 blue pilled simracers. It takes balls for devs to do something realistically, because blue pilled majority prefers self gratification, imitation of their fantasies, rather than simulating real conditions, realistic challenges and then learning to work with them.

Anyway, it is just one car of many. I wonder why did you guys pick the car for championship which you have no interest in ? There are older cars from S397 that works in a little bit different way, and would please your paradigm of how the cars work. For example, similar beast - Mclaren Senna, you can be more silly with it, drive it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Nieubermesch and atomed like this.
  20. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered