Latest Roadmap Update - September 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 30, 2021.

1. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

I just tested the RC: The Reverb G2+nvidia 3000 series still gives major framedrops with every possible configuration. No difference to previous releases, it's still unplayable in VR with WMR.

2. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

It's the same for me with the physics engine. What's the point in updating the cars before physics engine overhaul? Updating the cars means no further development of the physics engine planned. They plan to do engine development first, and then update the cars. I guess.

3. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

That's strange, I also have the Reverb G2 and a Geforce 2070, of course I tweaked the settings a bit, but that runs very well also in a very good graphic quality, except for AMS2 there is nothing out there that runs better in VR....

4. Magus

Magus Registered

@Christian Wolter the issue with rF2 & VR seems to be isolated with the RTX30XX/WMR/SteamVR combination & can also confirm, still evident in this build.

TurboHenk likes this.
  5. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Ah ok, I did not know that, that is of course bad

6. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

You guys kill me.
    First Graphics developers do not work on Physics so they are going to continue developing graphics and that does not take away from physics. They are hiring some physics programmers so this tells me the physics development is about to ramp up.
    So I would say we should start seeing some bigger changes starting to hit us around the first of the year. just my 2 cents!

7. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes the fact they are (finally) hiring physics guy is definitely the best news I heard from S397 since long time (I’m serious). I hope the person will be competent enough to finally do some serious work on the physics engine. AFAIK Michael Borda was and is almost entirely focused on tires and tire model.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

to be fair to S397, RRE did upgrade lot of cars tyre model over the years before coming to the conclusion that it was the generic physics engine that needed a full overhaul

And that's what they finally did few weeks ago, that's what I hope S397 is aiming for with this Development update announcement

9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@novile721 when RRE did physics overhaul ?
    even the ffb update isnt good for all users
    still the ffb feels mediocre and the handling is really outdated compared to the rest of the sims

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

perhaps a discussion of RRE might be better suited to it's own thread and NOT in the roadmap for rF2.

Emery and memoNo1 like this.
  11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

From the outside looking in it's easy to criticize. Reading through the thread it looks like S397 is very well positioned and already moving forward with improvements to all facets. No doubt about it, the pace has picked up.

Tire physics are extremely complex particularly the thermodynamic effects. To give a scale of impression; heat generation and transfer have a thousand variables interrelated to a thousand other variables. All those variables need to be sampled with a value to run 120 times a second. Never mind everything else the CPU needs to attend to at the time.

No better way to improve the algorithm than to invite some Subject Matter Experts to review evaluate and advise.
    That's the first step. So far no one has handed a Magic Wand to S397 to pop a fully alpha tested and refined version into beta's yet.

Anyone have a Magic Wand to donate?

pkelly, TJones and memoNo1 like this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I spent about 5 years modding GTR2/rF1. I knew a-lot about how to get the final result, not the math and physics required to achieve those results. A-lot of trial and error. One of our challenges with the SCC mod(endurance prototypes) is that the tires never really heated up at Le Mans. The long straights allowed too much of the temps to bleed away. So I built LM specific tires that got most of their heat from rolling, not sliding. Of course these would immediately over-heat on a shorter normal sized track. So keeping them separate meant an entire 2nd set of vehicles JUST for Le Mans. I took one look at the rF2 procedures and figured 5 years was enough. The math and layers of detail required was way above my 'aww shucks' skills. That is probably why I've never whined much...(well, not tooo much) about the pace of tire/physics updates cuz they are just very complex.

TJones, StuartAM and John R Denman like this.
  13. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

this release candidate mention improved game loading times, i did a benchmark and loading times are indentical with latest stable release , i did the benchmark twice
    i have 172 gb in my instal folder , it takes 4.5 minutes to load after system restart and 1.5 minutes after game restart

David Crespo and juanchioooo like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@cristianuk Well thats quite disapointing. As far as I am concerned that little bit of niceness this road map contained, as usual for example like one month it is godrays, then it is better sky, then it is SSR. There frequently is some sweet thing to feel and be happy about.

What others could say ? I have seen one positive comment in facebook about loading times. But it wouldn't be the first time facebook displaying messages from people who obviously lives in parallel universe and has nothing to do with our reality.

The road map made it sound like the loading is noticeably improved.

mesfigas likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Where on earth did you pull those figures from? And what's the point of doing so?

TheMenace likes this.
  16. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I've definitely seen an improvement in loading times. I do use a SSD drive, so it may be more noticeable with a SSD drive.

17. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

i did not test with ssd, but i did a test recently on nordschleife load times with ssd and times were indentical , i have the latest gen ssd but i use sata 6 for rf2 , i see no activity on hard disk when the game loads

18. Highlandwalker

I am only stating what I have observed. The whole of my Steam folder is installed on a SSD, also Windows and drivers are installed on a separate SSD.

19. Highlandwalker

I've just carried out a test loading Nords with a grid of 36 GTE cars, all S397 GTEs.
    Time with cleared cbash folder: 2min 58sec.
    Time of second load with same cars: 1min 25sec.
    When loading tracks and cars up to about the first 80% is the track loading the remaining 20% is the cars loading. Sometimes the cars take longer to load than the track.

20. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

im moving the game folder to my ssd to do another test including the series switch