Competition System Blog | Week 22

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

lagg, Sim_Player, davehenrie and 5 others like this.
  2. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

This is welcomed news that a format to address questions regarding topics outside of the CS. To all, including myself, that have been critical as of late of S397 in the level of communication this should provide an excellent source to all parties so that no one is feeling as though their concerns do not have a forum.
    Obviously I cannot speak to the particulars as to this change, but I will say it shows a commitment to the kind of improvement I would hope for. Thank you Team S397.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'll go first with the track specific questions: What is with those clouds? ;)

4. Diego Barjollo

Diego Barjollo Registered

Do you have plans to implement the graphic improvements of PBR in all the circuits listed on the web https://www.studio-397.com/cars-tracks/#tracks or just some of them? Reiza Track Pack is planned as well? Why don't those originally listed by ISI, such as Montreal and Bathurst, appear on the web?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  5. Julien Lemoine

Julien Lemoine Member

First, Hello to everyone.
    Now that the questions are about the tracks, I'm going back to the topics :wink:

1/ It's possible for rF2 to simulate the fact that it's raining on one side and not on the other, as it often happens at Nurb or Le Mans ?

2/ One of my friends wanted to modify the track limits in dev mode, which works perfectly, but at the time of the switch to "prod" if I may say so, the track limits were 100x more severe than in dev mode. From 1, do you have the answer why? And finally, wouldn't it be a good idea to provide a guide for this?

3/ As Alex had confirmed, there is a real problem with the rain, 20% of rain rate corresponds to a borderline storm, are there any plans to adjust this? To allow our dear Jimmi to offer us more races in the rain

4/ It was a bug with the overlay with the Nurburgring, it displays the whole map and if it's the GP, the track map is very small, has this been fixed?

5/ Finally, speaking of the Nurb, is there an update planned for the 24-hour version that allows you to cut the last corner and start the timer in qualifying? As in reality.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond (maybe) and long live the Pain au chocolat. (cc Christopher)

Adam Helyes and Diego Barjollo like this.
  6. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

As regards tracks, there's only one question worth asking. We all know there is an extremely limited (i.e. woeful) selection of laser scanned tracks available for rF2, let alone tracks with full PBR treatment etc. of the non-LS variety. But, Motorsports Games is busy licensing tracks through their new games: NASCAR. IndyCar in particular for my level of interest (sure many want to see other WEC tracks too). For the Ignition game, I'll assume they have created COTA (seen some screenshots) and maybe Mid Ohio as raced in Xfinity, and maybe also Road America and Watkins Glen. Is there any way with how the licensing and track creation is done, to have those tracks appear in rF2? We know the texturing is done for UE4 so that'll presumably be different, but the 3D model and AI may well be transferable. If you aren't going to get tracks via this method, what is the plan for more tracks for rF2?

As regards the Competition System - so you state its not intended to be iRacing. What is it intended to be? Have to tell you the competitions you have so far are severely, badly lacking. You've been asked in every CS Blog for daily, highly frequent series using Taatus F3/F4 and other more basic cars and you refuse to create them. You need to tell us why. If its because we don't have the rating systems, and we can't expect to see any of that until 2022, it's pretty much pointless continuing to use the sim as an online racer until then, so I'll pack it up and wait and revisit in 6 months. Progress is glacial; which does a disservice to several ice ages.

7. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Are flags for offline racing part of the track? If so, when can we expect it to function where full course yellows don't dominate a race?

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

First of all thank you very much for the CS blogs. Eventhough I haven't been using the CS or my PC all that much for sim racing the last couple of months it has allways been quite informative. Now to the stuff that really interests me, especialy as a LD for FPS games:

1. Have you considered adding more geotopographic information for tracks, like the altitude of tracks wich would add some nice options for ambient effects like air preassure to influence the power and reliability of cars (like at Mexico for example) and wich could also be linked to other ambient effects that haven't been unlocked yet like wind, humidity and the ambient and track temperatures? How far away are features like fog that are available in devmode but not in the real game. Any chance of getting the proper alignments of stars and the moon based on the TOD and TOY?
    2. As there seems to be a big influx of free roam tracks that are very popular in games like AC have you considered to use procedural terrains to create such free roam tracks like desert highways, alpine passes or tropical islands with coastal routes?
    3. Speaking of community created tracks: have you considered porting some of the historic tracks from Fat Alfie that are very popular and that would most likely be pretty cheap to lisence? Other tracks were ported from other products allready so why not expand in that area?
    4. Any chance we see updates to the historic tracks within rF2 in the foreseable future with the same treatment like Silverstone, Lime Rock Park and the likes?
    5. Have you thought offering track packs like Reiza with each track and their layouts throughout the years, like we have the Imola trackpack from Reiza? Tracks like Spa, Monza, Monaco, Nurburgring, Silverstone or Le Mans, that have a rich history would offer great opportunities for something like that.
    6. Have you thought about something like a forgotten tracks DLC with tracks like old Brno, Sachsenring or Rouen?
    7. What do you think about something like a track editor similar to Garry's mod for Half Life or Zeus in ArmA 3, where people would have a few selected objects that they can place in an open world (tyre stacks on a parkinglot for example) to build stuff like Kart tracks on the fly, where people could interact in real time? You could start with "small" worlds and expand the concept if it is popular.

Adam Helyes and Corgan like this.
  9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Good news on physics improvements plans guys! It took some time but it's finally addressed and I am grateful.

I saw that the new Nascar game is bringing wind and dynamic track temperature to the mix, so are those also coming to RF2 official content at the very least in the near future?

Now this is what I am excited to see, my favourite SIM getting the propper love it deserves outside of the great work you've done on the visuals. I really love them PBR tracks guys!

10. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Thanks for keeping the community updated on a regular basis. Here are some questions I'd like to see answered:

How high in the priority list is the implementation of a proper damage model to the engine and transmission? Can you give us a rough timeframe?

Are you planning on implementing a more refined damage model? Non only body panels, but suspension components too.

Remco Majoor and The Iron Wolf like this.
  11. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Personally I am disappointed with the answer concerning physics, and I am therefore not very optimistic.

But you seem to have understood the answer differently, and you see it positively about it.

Maybe I did not understand the answer well because of the language barrier.

Hope you are right .....

mesfigas and Nieubermesch like this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Well, if you are disappointed with physics, imagine me with virtual reality, they have definitely abandoned it ...:confused::confused::confused:

mesfigas and Nieubermesch like this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I saw dates of 2022, so it's coming on the mid term, not just this year I guess... Some improvements and tire updates will probably be made sooner then those other physics and AI improvements. I also hope they bring the missing features that are in the UI but actually do nothing, like Wind and track temps, since Nascar game is going to have that based on what I've seen from the UI in some videos.

All in all and since they said they have other physics plans planned to 2022 I actually am quite happy, even more if you think that they are hiring another physics expert and I am sure some guys at MG also have some expertize to improve things also. So I'm hopeful, because I love RF2 so much and I've not been around as much time as you playing and expecting things from S397... I think they've improved the slowness they showed before in the last year. They've been busy with that NASCAR game, so maybe that's the reason some of the Release Candidate features and such are absent recently and they can resume their work with the new guys on the Team I am hoping they hire and announce soon!

Cheers!

14. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Hopefully they improve the graphics engine enough by optimizing it, which will result in improving it for everyone (including VR owners).

Until about 1 year ago, I had a VR Rift S headset and the performance was totally insufficient to play at 80 FPS (unthinkable to play at 40 FPS rear projection) with GTX 1080 and 169% supersampling (less than 169 % of supersampling was destroying my eyes).

Apart from details texture, circuit details, texture filtering and cockpit details, EVERYTHING was deactivated, 6 AI visible, no mirrors, 01:30 PM (hour when the sun is highest on Nurbugring), no rain, no day night cycle, no acceleration of time.

The performances were however very unstable and very unstable means unplayable in VR for me.

Plus, it's unthinkable to turn all of this off in a simulation.

But I think this is normal for a GTX 1080 with a Rift S and 169% supersampling :

VR requires an excessive amount of resources and makes VR inaccessible financially for the majority (those who want perfect performance without reprojection, acceptable graphics, "acceptable" sharpness, day night and rain cycle, mirrors,....).

I am not sure that we should blame specifically rF2 but rather VR, hence the reasonable desire to improve the graphics engine in general (for everyone).

When I stopped VR, S397 had installed the essential options for VR (notably world VR something with shortcut keys, VR refocusing with shortcut keys, .....).

So yes my hope in general is that they will improve the performance and optimization of their physics engine, and this will benefit all users, including VR users.

mesfigas and juanchioooo like this.
  15. lagg

lagg Registered

Hi all.
    This is related to the next blog (tracks), but connected with UI, too
    Are you going to implement in UI a way to override the parameters of the GDB of the track, in order to setup the races?
    Such as:
    • Add practice sessions and configure the duration and start of every session.
    • The tags related with the unticut code.
    • The pitlane speed limit.
    • How is going to work the DRS.
      Code:
      RearFlapZoneSessions=31
      RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5

• And other, that surely, I forget
    Thank you very much.

16. Yoann Kerjean

Yoann Kerjean Registered

Hello, some questions for the next blog:
    -It was probably answered at the time the track came out, but what was the reason for not scanning the Bugatti track alongside the 24H one?

-I personnaly think that Loch Drummond is a really believable track (even if it's one of the hardest to master). Do you plan on making some other fictionnal tracks? If yes, can we send some designs?

-Urban tracks are nice because you can scan them without licence (I think???). My city has a track called "Circuit des remparts", on which Fangio and Trintignant drove in 1950. The track is still in use, every year in september. Are you interested in tracks like this? (which would go well with the older cars we have in game)

17. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Hello,

Regarding the general track quality, I am absolutely thrilled with all official tracks. The only thing that doesn't match the general quality here is the AI (not always but often) as well as the general "rain quality" (especially regarding rain spray etc.). The AI is still one of the best out there in general from my point of view, but a few minor bugs make the AI feel worse than it actually is, this mainly includes from my point of view:

AI always runs hard tires in qualifying
    AI drives on some tracks (also original ones) wrong or strange lines
    AI behaves strange at different flags (blue and yellow for example)

I think here would be the chance to achieve great effect by relatively small adjustments, this is from my point of view the foundation for the offline championships.

So my question on the track topic would be what is the plan regarding the necessary adjustments to the AI?

Thanks a lot

18. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Do you plan to have track specific game options? We can say that tracks are kind of un-optimized. (You can always make the better tracks worse to have them equalized. :) )

19. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hello!

Could I ask you to please re phrase your question, as I'm not quite sure what it is you are asking from your original post?

Many thanks!

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

If you are going to build new tracks, will it be Macao, Jerez or Long Beach?