[WIP] Queensland Raceways Track Pack

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mike Cantwell, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Started working on QR.

No new buildings to make. Yay! I will do AO files where I can. Tower is done already.

So here is the thing.......part of me wants to do the Willowbank Raceway drag strip, but does RF2 allow for point to point??

I go there each month and have thought about it. There is also a Karting track there. I think doing the whole motorsport complex would be interesting. I would have to get permission to do stuff as well as I did with LSP and QR.

Anyway, hopefully by the end of this week there should be some updates to share and I will also get the other circuits working again.

Attached Files:

2. svictor

svictor Registered

point to point:

p2p.png

There should be at least 1meter gap between each alt sector/finish mesh. AIW could be tricky to set up.

For car starting location, a few ideas:
    1. Have server admin order drivers to stop at the "blue car" position, and calls start from there. Downside is that it requires manual organization.

2. Same with first method, but also add some kind confined entry route or road ramp to limit player from having a further back starting location and gain advantage. Though unlikely it will be effective.

3. Place every garage spots at one of the blue car position, every cars will spawn & respawn at same spot. Then add walls around starting location so no car can drive further back and gain some advantage. For example, targa florio rally stage uses this method.
    (Current game will not enable collision for cars that overlap on each other initially when the car have not yet on track once, such as just joined server or at the beginning of a session. However, when this car has driven and returned to pit by ESC, there is a chance it will collide with other cars in garage. A simple solution is to just click DRIVE & ESC once or twice. It can be a bit annoying at times, but most of time works well and fast, and ensures fairness.)

And all those are workaround, as game itself doesn't really support point to point, so there could be strange things happen at times.

3. atomed

atomed Member

@svictor is one of those guys we´re very lucky to have.

4. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Mike, Mike, Mike....I WAS going to commend you for your fine efforts...but there is a Hotdog wrapper in the parking lot you somehow omitted. Shame.....such a worthy project...... <wink, wink>

Paulfield and PatientRF2fan like this.
  6. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

This love for details is unbelievable. You overtopped yourself :):):)

Corti likes this.
  7. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

That's just stunning, Mike. Thank you for all your hard work!

8. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hi @Mike Cantwell

Quick question about Lakeside.
    Does the whole route consist of Lidar data or just the outside area? .

Mike Cantwell likes this.
  9. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

The outside area. The main part of the track is done with a surveyors topographic map and accurate to with 1 meter. The only downside is that it was done originally using Bob's Track Builder which has mesh like a Red Back spider nest.

I would love to do a laser scan version of the track but simply do not have the funds nor the team to do it.

Queensland Raceway is done with cad drawings and the outer is also LIDAR now.

Bathurst is based on a laser scan track surface and the outer is from NSW LIDAR data. Bathurst will be the most accurate.

10. jepeto

jepeto Registered

i like cart serie, i must find the subtilities of american tracks
    in europe we are under domination of the f1 and strange boys
    ecxept monza spa and silerstone and imola what is good ?
    paul ricard is not nice track , barcelona too , and what to say about nuerburgring and hockenheim !!

11. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello Mike,

Just noticed some issues with the new Lakeside Park. All three main ReflectionMapper (REFLECTEDENV, STATIC01, REFMAP0) are missing from SCN file, this has caused any new car PBR reflection (such as chrome effect) as well as other reflection effects not shown on track, please add those codes to SCN file. (IRRADIANCE_PROBE is also missing, and adding it would help a lot with track overall lighting and color)

Thanks!

12. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Thanks for that. I just added the SCN codes in the Dev Mode and the reflections on track look way better. I will update soon.

I know some will not like this, but I am not updating to the PBL shaders as basically I am a bit weary and also I have zero idea how to do it :p

If some one wants to update to the new shaders I am more than happy, I am even happy to reimburse you if you take it on. :D

QR is coming along well and when done all 3 variations will be back again. Trees are a pain and it is taking a little time to get them how I want.
    Once they are done, I will add AO files where I can to the buildings and then fine tune the textures, then release. Should not be anywhere near as long as the Lakeside update was.

wip173.jpg

buzz hornet, GeraArg, jimagn and 8 others like this.
  13. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Working around the QR circuit placing trees.

Very hard to get the tree placements perfect but trying to get them reasonably close. Once I am happy with them I will add a few more details around the track and adjust the colours as they are over saturated in places.

Should be ready for release in 2 to 3 weeks all going well. All layouts will be represented.

wip175.jpg wip176.jpg wip177.jpg wip178.jpg wip179.jpg wip180.jpg wip181.jpg wip182.jpg

14. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

15. pascom

pascom Registered

Looking great :)

16. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Working on the main entrance. Pretty happy with it and the outer perimeter road as well.
    Now to get back to planting trees :p

wip191.jpg wip192.jpg wip194.jpg

Bostrom, pascom, Emery and 10 others like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

18. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Sorting out the AO files. First one done are the dunnies. Came up well.

The Cafe, pit garages, Tower, outer garages will be done next.

I am going to start testing the other layouts to make sure they work with the re-release.

Not far to go now and then back to Bathurst....

wip195.jpg

bears, pascom, Bostrom and 13 others like this.
  19. pkelly

pkelly Registered

A true labor of love, Mike! Much appreciated and really fine that you share your process with us nonmodders.

20. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Basically finished the buildings and garages with new mapping and AO textures.
    That will do and the next thing will be adding a few trees in the distance and then the alternate layouts and make sure they work as they should.

The real track has a new owner and he is doing huge additions and renovations in the next year. I may ask his permission if I can update this as well to reflect the real thing.

This is as far as I am going with QR at the moment. It is pretty well finished, just may go though some texture setting and adjust.

Will release this update ASAP.

wip196.jpg wip197.jpg wip198.jpg wip199.jpg