Loading controller profile sets "Exaggerate Yaw" to -80%

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by svictor, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ive noticed this, but have to be honest I have no idea what exaggerate yaw does...

2. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Lazza! Did I ever insulted you?
    So please don't insult me or even judge my posts. I have the same right as you do to write my piece.

We would need to investigate as what I posted is what I have and it does not work. 5-4-3-2-1- it goes to neutral.
    So me, with :
    "Alternate Neutral Activation" set to true... or to false... I tried both
    and
    "Stop Sequential if Neutral Configured" set to 1, 2 or 3... I tried all of them
    Does not stop downshifting into neutral. For You Lazza, it does Stop? It does not go into neutral unless you press both paddles?

I run a 4 year old G29. I can post my JSON if you want.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you have Neutral assigned?

And my tone is because of the way you present it. 'Here's something else they broke...' instead of perhaps asking anyone if it works for them?

Yes, both work as expected here. I've never tried 3 for the second one but that also works (keeps in R).

4. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Exaggerate Yaw

The comment for this line directly comes from rFactor 1 :
    // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")
    rF1's default was "0.52000".
    What the value actually means might be a percentage, a radiant... old rF1 coders only knows.

Hope you got some imagination because this is going to be though to explain...

Simply, it will rotate the point of view in the direction of travel, e.g. you go in a left turn, the car rotates into some oversteer and you counter steer to the right. The exaggerate yaw will turn the point of view to the right in the direction of the slide.

When we drive a sim, we work the wheel as per how the graphic shows us how much rotation we've got. Graphically, in our present over rotation to the left, our direction of travel... of our slide, is somewhere over the right fender of the car. But, on the screen, it's not the car that rotates left, it's the scenery that rotates right. If an algorithm start playing with that... rotating the point of view to the right... which means the whole car turn left in the screen so our direction of travel comes back toward the center of the screen... you don't know where you're going anymore. ISI tried something... tried to mimic what we do in a car when we slide, we turn our head in the direction of the slide. When we physically do that, our senses know it and it is normal. When the game does it for us...it's not good at all. It should have been removed but it never was.

It just does not work for me or anyone I know. It is a given that it has to be set to zero if you want to control the car through a slide.

The other day, I loaded a Controller profile and the -80% came back and but forgot about it. I got in the car and started driving. The car felt like molasses on a hot day. Going through Pouhon at Spa, on the bumps, the car was varying it slip angle... the view point was moving all over the hood... realizing the Yaw had come back, what came out of my mouth at that moment is not to be repeated but the words shietz and S397 came out at a high rate.

That is how a company loses it's install base and closes it's doors. Even if this was just a test value that slipped through their QA.

Hope this was enjoyable... :confused:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Andy Bonar likes this.
  5. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Ooooops!
    Do you mean :
    Code:
        "Control - Neutral":[
        ],
    Then nope...

Dude! I'm a french Quebeker... what do you want? :eek:

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep. Easier to just assign it in the game though. Be sure to save and load your profile for more exaggerated yaw goodness :p

If the Quebec thing means something I'm not aware of it.

7. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Will test later and if we get it to work, I'm ready to eat my socks as it's been a pain in my butt for a while now.
    Oh the quantity of posts I'll have to retract... :oops:

I'm French first, English second... My mind is in french then I translate into what I can.
    so yes, as any good frenchy, I can piss people off.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  8. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Feel Like a jerk... :oops:

Ya, when I assigned a key to Neutral, it started to work. Thank for the heads up Lazza.

But the tire model is still broken... :D

9. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Latest Release Candidate Oct 29, 2021
    Controller Profile Updates (General)
    - Set Exaggerate Yaw to 0

I'm a bit late here but credit due where credit is due.

Thank you S397 for fixing this.

10. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

I've confirmed with multiple sources that this has not been fixed in latest roll-up 1.1126.

Still resets after profile change. Using RC or opt out makes no difference. My driver is still drunk when I load in.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you confirm if this is a save, load, or both, issue?

My quick testing found that saving a profile creates this line down the bottom of the profile file:

"Exaggerate Yaw":-0.8,

But if you fix that line so it's 0.0, it loads fine. So I think the issue is in the saving. I believe someone said after the last build that some of the presets still have the -0.8 in there, which is a sort of separate issue.

davehenrie likes this.
  12. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

I've loaded previous profiles and saved but I haven't used the manual like Reddit approach since the newest standard roll out. I'll go through systematically and see what approach relieves the issue. Thanks.

13. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

OK, I did manage to get it to save. I had to go in and modify the json after setting it in the settings menu. Oddly enough one other person and myself had to do this. Others were able to just save the profile without issue. I haven't checked behavior on the new RC but standard build seems fine. Thanks, Lazza.

pkelly and Lazza like this.
  14. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

I take it back. The issue is still present on the RC. I'll have to go see if it is still happening on the stable build.
    Ugh....

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you list your steps to reproduce this?

16. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

Yes, I use RC. Then I load any profile (even one already selected). -80 Exaggerated Yaw.

17. pety100

pety100 Registered

Yeah its not fixed. What a surprise! :D

When I exit the game and load the profile again, it reverts to -80%. What a shame.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Have you loaded a profile, set it to ZERO and then re-saved that profile? Seems like that should be necessary for each profile you use.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I tested this again yesterday.

Saved new profile.
    Edited profile file so yaw is 0.0.
    Loaded profile: no problem.
    Exit rF2.
    Start rF2.
    Load profile: yaw -80%.

(And profile file is modified to say -0.8 as well - I didn't see exactly when that happened)

@Goanna yep, I must have accidentally clicked save somewhere in there. Bad test!

So I'm back to: edit the saved profile. Loading [fixed] profiles works fine. Saving profiles breaks them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  20. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I tested this also…firstly deleted the controller.json file in the Player folder, selected the preset for my Thrustmaster T-GT wheel and saved as abcd.json. Yaw set at -80 so changed to 0 and saved. Exit rF2 and restart, abcd.json and controller.json both have -80 for yaw, the only way I can get the value to stay at 0 is to edit both abcd and controller.json to 0 and then loading of profile/s is correct.
    To me the error starts when saving the the loaded preset, it is saving yaw at -80 in the newly created controller.json file, which seems to influence the saved json files.

Lazza and davehenrie like this.