Better performance with Windows 11

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BirnenRubber, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

Hello,

I thought I would share my anecdotal experience upgrading to Windows 11 since it had the unexpected benefit of improving rF2 performance especially in load times.

I signed up for the Windows insider program in Windows settings and found out I didn't meet the hardware requirements initially. I had to update my bios which hadn't been done in some time, but I also am not a fan of doing unless it's necessary for fear of breaking compatibility with something.

Anyways, after updating the bios and a smooth Windows update I fired up rF2 and there is a definite improvement in loading times. After the first map loaded I searched Windows 11 performance gains through google in case I was just imagining things, and apparently yes Windows 11 does improve loading times and memory management. Apparently more so if you have an nvme drive, which I do.

I'm not recommending everyone run out and sign up for the insider program and start messing around with your PC. There's always the chance that messing around in the bios or updating Windows could break something else. But if you're comfortable enough performing such updates, give it a try if you're looking for a modest boost to load times. Be sure google the Pc health check app from Microsoft first to be sure your pc meets the hardware requirements. It could even by that my bios update had more of affect than anything else, who knows.

I have no benchmarks, completely off the top of my head it feels about a third faster. Thought I'd share.

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Does windows 11 work in the 7,8 or 9 series? .... It was already a w10 garbage, how to install the 11 ...., the 10 fails more than a beach water shotgun ....... .to know the 11:confused::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused:

3. Filip

Filip Registered

I have Win 10 for years on 2 laptops, not a single problem.

trichens likes this.
  4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I'm happy for you, I am not here to discuss the Windows 10 garbage ... it is a tangible reality ... just check in google and you will get bored of seeing problems errors and it is irrefutable, as I say I do not try to convince anyone, .. ..The truth is out there

5. Filip

Filip Registered

I'm not saying that I don't believe you. I'm just surprised if Win 10 really has that bad reputation.
    Because to me they are probably the most stable Windows of all. (I've been using Windows privately and professionally since Windows 95.)
    Ok I don't fiddle much anymore, just installing and using multiple apps, games... but even that was sometimes too much for some previous Win versions.

trichens likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The only problems I have had with Win10 is that a few times(not always though) the updates broke rF2's input recognition. I have a stock standby set of usb/motherboard drivers that seem to fix things. I do have a videocard that has had warranty work done on it for locking up. Worked fine for a time after that, but now is starting to suffer the same issues again. Can't say that is Win10 related though.

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Without going any further today I start the pc and windows does not detect my steering wheel, steam closed, because I have to be removing usb waiting for ten seconds and reconnect to recognize it, another day I start windows same drivers and widows starts to install a drivers, another day everything correct and that only with the thrustmasther, I no longer say other programs

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Completely off topic. And what is Windows 9?

BirnenRubber likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I was talking about the 7,8 and 9 series of processors, not windows, because I understand that those series, of motherboards and processors, do not support windows 11, I am still wrong, ... or I misunderstood ...

Lazza likes this.
  10. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

I'm running an 8700k and it works fine so far. Also passed the pc health check.

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

has changed the requirements I think

12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I am interested in getting more feedback.

If there are, let us know and if possible include your full PC specs.

Thank you.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. guenther

guenther Registered

Are you running your Windows using TPM and Secure Boot enabled?

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I am sorry I do not know English, sometimes the translator does not interpret what I say well and it is not understood well, I am sorry ...... if they changed the requirements because if not, they will eat Windows 11, many people have processors and boards bases that did not allow, it is an error to have a windows capped, they have opened their hand

16. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

Yes, that was actually the reason I had to update the bios on my mobo. I didn't pass the hardware requirements until TPM was enabled, and it wasn't a feature I had with my firmware version before updating.

guenther likes this.
  17. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

Asus Maximus X Hero
    i7-8700k
    DDR4-3200MHz CL16-16-16-36 1.35v 8GB (2x4GB)
    Samsung 950 pro (for os)
    Samsung 860 evo (for games, in case I have to format I don't want to setup all my sims again)
    EVGA 1080ti

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

At a minimum, I'd look at doubling your system ram.

19. vava74

vava74 Registered

so.. who else wants to be a guinea pig? preferably someone using VR, to see if for any reason the prioritization of the game processes will reduce the stutters that occasionally spring up...

juanchioooo likes this.
  20. BirnenRubber

BirnenRubber Registered

My apologies I copied info from the wrong ram kit, they are 2 x 8gb sticks.