Tracks : too many S397/MG/Traxion advertising signs

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by pilAUTO, Sep 19, 2021.

1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Paul Jeffrey

OFFICIAL S397 TRACKS :

You put too many, many, far too many advertising signs with the image of S397 or MG or Traxion.

Forgive me, but someone has to tell you, and this has to change :

It totally breaks the immersion, we find it hard to believe ourselves IRL, we see too much that we are in a game, not in a simulation.

Thank you.

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

100% agree. I know tracks like Monza had real Fanatec signs, but after seeing the Monza screenshots and videos i have not purchased the track, its such a massive immersion killer

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, but what's the solution? What would you prefer them to be?

4. Kahel

Kahel Registered

At least we have a few more like 'traxion' now... it was even worst when it was only s397 and rf2 everywhere...

... but, very much agreed... big immersion killer...

I'm almost tempted to say ads... but I feel like it's a tricky question.

Wonder what kind of magic games like F1 2021 and iRacing pull out to be able to have genuine ads...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's the idea :D

Licensing. Can't do real ads without permission.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

& usually you can't get permission without cutting a substantial check.

@pilAUTO, @Kahel, @sg333, would you all be willing to pay X% more for tracks for something that contributes absolutely Zero to the driving experience? I understand the immersion argument, but this is a driving/racing simulator, not a sightseeing simulator. I sure wish I had the driving skills to focus on the signs, the windows, the flower pots on the balconies....but, unfortunately, I'm not.

Now depending upon how the MG licensing is written up for the Nascar, Le Mans & Indy games, those might include provisions for the signage, but those 'most likely' would be tied to each title and not transferable to an official S397/rF2 release. Series sponsors, like Fanatec in the ACC titles would almost certainly be included, but other sponsors???? Who knows.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Okayyyyy... that's one possibility (and option), albeit with an assumption lumped in for good measure. And the final part is kind of the idea...

There's more than one way to skin a cat, or so I've heard.

davehenrie likes this.
  8. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Yep, just need someone to hold it tight :D

9. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Ive never looked into the official dlc tracks, but im assuming textures are also encrypted? Kind of a shame the hoops you have to go through to make a sking for any track but it is what it is

10. Kahel

Kahel Registered

...not as sure as you guys seem to be... that it would cost that much...

On a totally and none related note... believe it or not... I heard some rumors about companies that do things the other way around...and actually pay content creators to have the privilege to display their products and 'even' logos... I know weird... don't give much credit to those rumors myself... must be some far away world beyond the stargate... but tough it was worth mentioning...

Other than that... don't know about us... but I have noted one or two instances where S397 were not afraid of putting resources on thing that '"contributes absolutely Zero to the driving experience"'... and by "one or two" I mean 70% of their work... I know I am being overly harsh, but that's how it feels sometimes... it's probably more like 50/50, I'm doing it again... but hey, that the thing with 'feeling'... it exacerbate the reality... and what a 'sad' reality...

...shit, reminds me that I need to remember paying licensing fees... to a recent post which included the term 'sad'... to lazza and dave for abusive quoting... obviously, to S397, for mentioning their name, now twice.. not to mention for explicit language, syntax heresy, annoying punctuation...
    ...Which will left me broke but it was worth it... even tough it didn't 'contribute to the driving experience'... shit could not help myself... but what's one more now... need to file for bankruptcy anyway...

---------------
    PS: I'm sorry...

Akela_DE and davehenrie like this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Kahel 30c per '.' - you're racking up quite the debt :p

And just to address one thing you said, I don't know who "you guys" are - there's only one person saying that in this thread. Not that I've any intention of singling people out, but this is why I said there was assumption being made. Licensing - definitely. Costs? Hmm... depends.

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I can only agree about the advertisement banners. There are far too many of them and they simply don't look right or convincing. Tracks are created with an extreme dedication to make them as lifelike as possible and at the end there are slapped banners everywhere that make them feel like NFS-tracks. I also noticed it with the new helmet designs. In general they look good but the 397 logo slapped to the forehead makes them look very funky. There are a few very simple solutions to this: don't add banners/logos at all (my personal preference), make them skinnable like a car or use the big video walls to show adds that swap every few minutes. Sometimes less is more. I think Kunos have a few banners aswell but they left the tracks adds to be skinnable for their first title. The second titles uses the big videos walls for the most part iirc.

sg333 likes this.
  13. sg333

sg333 Registered

You seem to have a real hang up about a game having good graphics. Maybe you can't afford a computer to run things at high details, but that isnt everyone else's problem

14. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

The banners are where they are in real life. And usually in the same colours as real life, although there are some exceptions for other reasons.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I do, freely admit it that graphics are nice but not anywhere near the top of my list. I DO have an older system, but I can cajole about 100 fps from it with some limiting of the available eye candy. But even if I had a new bright shiney cpu/video system, I look at graphics about once when I first get a new track or car. And then it requires nearly all I have to focus on where I'm going & where the competition is, so I rarely...really RARELY look at the trees or the sky or the billboards, or if the grass is 2d or 3d. The SSR reflections do catch my eye since those are track related(for the most part). The cockpits of the cars? It's nice the Corvette & Ferrari are all spiffed up with the latest shaders, but once I get going....it's viewing out the windscreen, not admiring all the switches and equipment so nicely displayed.
    Let me put it this way... I don't dislike nice graphics. I just don't worry about what is on a billboard as long as the add is placed where it should be in relation to the track. I do get slightly irritated when 7 versions of the same track appear just because the adds in 1970 were different from the adds in 1972 and on and on. Not at the adds themselves, but having 7 versions of the exact same racing layout. And yes, I'm a grouchy old man who mows his own yard in a neighborhood that has a grass cutting service. I'm not envious of others who can turn the graphics up to 11(as Nigel Tufnel did in Spinal Tap) But look, S397 has spent nearly 5 years on 3 things, the UI, the comp system and updating graphics. (ok tires too). No new aero advances, no fixing the broken AI etc, but BY GOLLY my day is ruined cuz the bridge by the house by the tree by the restaurant is the wrong shade of blue or the sign THAT I DON'T LOOK AT has a generic bit of content.
    I would appreciate, for example, a new OLD track like Road America(Elkhart Lake). Not because the layout has changed that much, but because the guardrails back in the day were gone, the trees crowded the racing surface. You may say...ah HA! Eye candy...maybe. but I would expect the view of the racing line is reduced by all that vegetation that just isn't there any more. I read nearly every day about Mike Cantwell's track creation process and I'm amazed...truly amazed. I'll wander around his tracks for a-bit...and then...back to to the greyish/black ribbon that cuts thru all his marvelous detail.
    (sorry for the giant wall of text...but you DID ask...) :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    mixer61 and PatientRF2fan like this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Licensing. That is all.

The F1 games have all the Aramco, Pirelli and associated banners (not Heineken as that'll bump up the age rating to 18+ in most countries) and ACC will have similar as they are part of the sponsors associated with the series that is fully replicated and part of that license, if that makes any sense. So F1 will have all the F1 sponsors, and ACC will have all the GTWS sponsors.

As the rf2 tracks only license the track and don't license any series, then there's no real world sponsors beyond Fanatec/Traxion/MSG.

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Lisencing or not, the amount of 397 adds makes the tracks look goovy and takes away from their natural feeling. We aren't talking a few banners here, but tracks that are plastered with hundreds of banners and it has been mentioned a couple of times allready. As said, sometimes less is more. Make them a solid colour and it's fine, maybe a few videowalls here and there. Next to the fact that there are very nice solutions in competing products or tracks distributed by 3rd party artists, or even just older tracks by ISI. I never look at the Le Grand Circuit and say - oh my gosh - the adds have wierd fake names. They still capture the spirit of the 60s, same as Reiza tracks still capture the spirit of the 90s (hello Fasters). I get it, that they want to use the tracks for product placement, especialy when showing them during streams etc. But isn't there a solution that doesn't shove that stuff right into my face? Isn't paying for the track enough to know that S397, Motorsportgames, Heusinkveldt and Traxxion are involved? Sometimes I have the feeling that I am watching American television just by booting up a track. :p

mesfigas and sg333 like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

totally agree. And I guess blank signage might appease some. Video walls? Where applicable, but might impact fps if you get carried away.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I made a ton of fake logos for a league car that 397 can have XD

Manfredk2 likes this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What? You don't like that we copied the Office? or American Idol? or Til Death do us Part(All in the Family/Sanford & Son)?
    No I understand. Since ESPN bought back the USA rights to F1, they have been essentially streaming the British Sky Sports broadcast. MAN what a difference. Watching the entire race without a pottie break...well...on 2nd thought....