[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

Yes, I did change the log folders in attempting a fix. I changed back to original log folders and got no error message. Could be fixed!

2. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Hi
    I observed that some values have a limited negative range only. Eg downforce, if < -1000 it has an underflow and jumps to 64xxx. All together the value range seems to be 65k which is 16Bit I suppose.
    Is it possible to define an extended negative range somehow, say signed 16bit, so range is +-32k ?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Indeed, there's a limited number of values (integer only) so I've tried to find a good compromise between range and precision.

Try the high range config (3) for that channel group. I don't have the specifics in front of me but hopefully I've allowed for bigger negative values there. Let me know if not (including any other channels that are wrapping) and I will adjust them.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just having a look at the code, if you switch it to high range you should be fine - the range is approx -500000 to +500000.

But I might need to adjust those default ranges a bit - 6400kg on each axle would be a LOT of downforce, while 100kg of lift isn't too crazy.

5. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

6. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

I am running latest Damp and Motec. however when looking at my data there is no Damper Histogram. this is for a friend's Ringland I am scratching my head as it works fine on my rig. any tjougjts

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Go to Properties for the Histogram and check the velocity calculation tab:

upload_2021-9-14_6-52-58.png

And, of course, you want to confirm that the channels there (auto or manual) are actually in the logged channel list, and have non-zero values...

8. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Thanks, from memory the entries in the velocity calcs are all blank.

Re "actually in the logged channel list" - where would I find that please

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Press V and the channel list will appear on the right.

10. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Thanks will have a look tomorrow morning

11. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

When using the Suspension Histogram what values should I use for Bin Values, Hi/Lo speed boundary

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Number of bins: enough, but not too many. (there's no right answer here) The range (Max) should be enough to cover the movement you're getting, and then you want enough bins to analyse them but without so many that you end up masking the overall shape of the curve. People generally find a number/look they like and stick with that. For most cars the default settings are probably fine.

Speed boundary: approximately the same as the car you're using, bearing in mind i2Pro doesn't allow different bump/rebound boundary speeds on a single histogram.

If you don't have access to the .hdv of the car you're using (where you can find the boundary for each corner with BumpStage2 and ReboundStage2, in m/s) you can estimate a reasonable value based on the car you're driving. 'Stiff' cars could start at something like 20-40mm/s, while tintops and older cars might go up to 100mm/s (not because there is more energy involved, but because they'll have more suspension movement [amplitude] generally). Very high performance can step higher - FISI2012 for example has 70-90. If you take a look at some mods of various types of cars you should get some sort of guide of normal values.

You can also get an idea by adjusting your setup fast and slow damping and observing the changes to the histogram results.

13. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

Hi, maybe anyone has an idea?
    Since I swapped my VR HMD from an oculus rift s to a reverb g2 the dam plugin seems to stop working randomly while driving.
    I can still activate it with my key, but after a short time, mostly like 2-3 laps in I get the message "Log building completed" and thats it.

Is there any error logfile where I can see what happened?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you on the latest DAMPlugin? That sounds a lot like a multithreading bug after a windows update, and a couple of versions ago on the plugin. I'm not aware of any current rogue log starts/stops.

15. Daniel Erstling

I was on 0.921, installed 0.924. Will test it now - thanks!

16. Daniel Erstling

0.924 fixed it! Must have been a bit of a coincidence with my HMD swap. So logs are working properly once again

17. Dave Plummer

Dave Plummer Registered

Hi guys, i dont seem to be able to view the damper outputs in the suspension histogram but my other teams mates do. Any advice as to what im doing wrong?

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Look above on this page, you should check your velocity calculation settings are using valid channels. I put a screenshot up there.

19. Dave Plummer

Dave Plummer Registered

Is this correct?
    i2_26RcEosnLj.png

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Dave Plummer my screenshot is here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/page-45#post-1078340

Note that mine is on Auto Select, and uses the Susp Pos channels. I don't recall setting these up myself.

Your ride height channels should still produce a histogram (if ride height is logged), but Susp Pos is correct. The fact that yours apparently isn't doing this automatically suggests you are using a project you've perhaps used for other games, and/or has some aliases or non-standard channels in the histogram and possibly elsewhere.