[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

That is great Diggerhawk. That Lola looked so amazing and I cant wait for you to do the Reynards and Swifts.

The Penske is actually the one that needs the most work for the handling. I am entering all the spread sheet data and trying to figure out why the front end has no bite, I have played with KPI Caster in Ptool and it helps some but I think the weight inertia is off on that one.

The best cars that year were the Reynard and Swift anyway as the Penske and Lola were not competitive. Penske was better in ovals.

USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  2. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

As a biased Al Unser, Jr. and Team Penske fan, here is a Racecar Engineering article that has some good data that the Penske PC27 may have been a pretty good chassis saddled with bad tires and a mediocre engine. If you would like to make the chassis more competitive than it is in CART Factor and CART Extreme, be my guest. :D Note also that the 2000 and 2001 "Reynske" chassis incorporated many elements from the 1998 PC27 and 1999 PC27B.

https://twitter.com/lijianrong64/status/1326161196731432960

davehenrie likes this.
  3. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Oh yes, I have watched and re-watch many of those 98 races when working on tracks. I also recall at least 5 gear box blowups for JR and Ribiero. Worse was Tracy in a competitive KOOL car couldn't keep it it together having one of his worst years ever lol. Will get the Penske more drivable for sure.

It is next to impossible to track any meaningful spec on these cars so unfortunately it will be by basic geometry aero power and feel.
    The Reynard had no king pin inclination and the front COG didn't ever register a number. So, a few basic geometry improvements plus the flex chassis and other tweaks is where it is at.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  4. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

Sounds like you've done your homework! :)

1998 Al Jr. results - Top Goodyear finisher 5x, Top Mercedes-Benz/Ilmor finisher 5x
    upload_2021-9-7_18-2-49.png

PatientRF2fan likes this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Like @USCTrojan4JC , I too was a huge Al Jr fan. But NOT so much his time with Penske. (although he did win both an Indy 500 AND a series championship with Team Red/White.)

Indeed, going back to 1995, the year Jacques Villenueve won the series championship, Unser Jr was in position to win the Championship DESPITE having horrendous Goodyear tires. One of Penske's business models has always been to buy into suppliers and become a partner. This provided him with direct access to parts and information. Unfortunately, it also tied him to suppliers(Illmor/Goodyear) when the other brand(Honda/Ford/Firestone/Bridgestone) was clearly superior. At that season's final race, Goodyear supplied their teams with what was essentially a modified qualifying tire. For about 10 laps it could match the pace of the Firestone cars and then it would fall off a cliff. It was pathetic. By the time 1998 came around, Little Al, wasn't so little, or motivated.

USCTrojan4JC likes this.
  6. USCTrojan4JC

USCTrojan4JC Registered

I completely forgot that Al had to use a 1997 PC26 for the Nazareth race. At least the chassis got figured out for the Milwaukee race. :p

Eric Rowland likes this.
  7. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

As promised here is the finished graphics update to the Penske PC-27. A bit of early morning running on a wet Portland track.

8. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Love it!!!!

9. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Really nice and great environment to showcase the improvements.

10. Corti

Corti Registered

11. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I like F1 very much, especially the historic era's. The nostalgia and the politics is always super interesting.

It is the variety of the tracks in indy ppg cart champ that has always been super interesting for me.
    Permanent road
    Short track
    Street circuit
    Speedway
    Airport
    Super Speedway

400,000 spectators at Indy has some apparent draw too........

Corti, David Short and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  12. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

That looks stunning! Hopefully it doesn't take long to transfer the settings to the other cars! Really looking forward to it.

Now only if there was more period correct tracks for those...

David Short and USCTrojan4JC like this.
  13. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

It is happening Chris, many re-meshes and some convert to 98 layouts on the go.......

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

I loved the Houston '98 track in rF1. Such a simple layout but so challenging. Is that one in the works?

15. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

houston and brazil are the only tracks i dont have a copy of. Maybe last as i have yet to do a conversion and material/mapping can be laborious

16. jepeto

jepeto Registered

fantastic cars with a motor i like very well
    V8 is an american melody
    thanks to the authors

17. sg333

sg333 Registered

Corti and PatientRF2fan like this.
  18. Corti

Corti Registered

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  19. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Corti, I believe for CART he was referring to the Jacarepagua (sorry for spelling) oval that was used in the late 90s?

20. Corti

Corti Registered

sry, post edited. ;)

djvicious likes this.