No Load after update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Scottty, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Hi Guys, since the last update, (10/08/2021) my game wont load. I press Play in steam, the RF2 logo comes up then goes away and in steam, running goes back to play. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing.. Any advice?? Thanks

2. Binny

Binny Guest

try validating files rf2 steam

3. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Done That, Still the same.

4. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

Had the same issue and I think it was more related to an win10 update, which erased some C++ runtimes. Try to reinstlall them, they are all under "...\common\rFactor 2\Support\Runtimes". Install all 4 and try again to start :)

5. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Nope still the same..

6. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Hi,
    I don't have any of Formula Pro, Silverstone and Indianapolis or anything with that name in the files. (That I know of)
    Its a clean install, Just had a mate look at it,
    The game is not even Starting.
    Thanks
    Scottty

7. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Was done Via TeamViewer.
    What you mean incomplete..
    Please where would i look to find the files for Formula Pro, Silverstone and Indianapolis.
    I have not raced any of these or on them.
    I looked in the WorkShop folder and there was only the download for the cars I race in..

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He was only guessing what might be the issue since the 'last update', since that's all that's been updated recently.

It's just as likely a coincidence. You're best off doing the usual rename the UserData folder, validate files (you need to do that after renaming the UserData folder, so it doesn't matter that you already did it) and then try starting the game again. That will give you fresh files and clear out most old files that might cause issues.

JimmyT likes this.
  9. Scottty

Scottty Registered

We are all only guessing buddy,
    I got no idea, I'm very great full for the feedback/ Thoughts thus far.

I will give that a go, same as everything that has been mentioned,
    I will look at the logs and see if there is anything that stands out.

Thank you all and keep the thoughts coming.

10. Scottty

Scottty Registered

Just an Update & FYI.
    Found the problem in the 'UserData' Folder.
    But I made a backup copy and deleted the folder.
    The game started.

Not sure what file was the problem,
    I did put one file back in at at time and seem to stop loading the game when 'Multiplayer.json' & Player.json' files where put back.

This is just a FYI.

Thanks for all the help before hand.
    Scottty

JimmyT and atomed like this.
  11. yobrevar

yobrevar Registered

Hi.
    So i bought this game 11 hours ago and still cant get it to load. The only way to get the Menu to even load is to run in an old-ui mode, but the Game still wont even load from here.
    I've tried all the suggestions above, to no avail.
    I've managed to get a trace file to finally run, which is attached.

As you can see it ends with a FatalError, can anyone tell from the log what the problem could be??

Attached Files:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nothing obvious.

If you haven't managed to run the game yet, what's with all the extra downloaded/subscribed content?

You should walk before you try to run. Delete your UserData folder, and your Bin64 folder, verify files in steam, run all 4 files in Support\Runtimes (install/repair each one), opt out of Betas, and try again.

System specs?

13. yobrevar

yobrevar Registered

Hi
    Thanks for the reply .
    Unfortunately while waiting for reply I considered it may have to do with excess subscriptions. So prior to yet another install, I unsubscribed from all content and tried again with no subscriptions.
    As you can suspect it didn't work.
    Once again the only way to even get the menu to open is to run an old UI, but game still won't load.
    I've got significant settings for other games such as iRacing and RaceRoom on this machine, so am not willing to reinstall windows.

Specs are:
    R9 3900x
    RTX2080
    32gig DDR3600
    WD SN750 500Gb nvme system drive
    1Tb SSD Steam drive.
    Fanatec DD1 & Pedals
    Single 32" Curved 1440p 144hz display.

14. yobrevar

yobrevar Registered

So finally got it to work.
    Appears this stoopid games requires your steam library to be installed in the Root of your drive. Ie. F:\Steam\

Once I migrated the library across and reset up steam and my wheel drivers, it appears to be working.

Why are there no notes about this anywhere in the install requirements. I've wasted nearly a day trying to sort this crap.

15. yobrevar

yobrevar Registered

I did a reinstall in my original Steam folder location , with no subscriptions at all, and the game still wouldn't load at all or work.
    Once I migrated to a root folder on my drive and reinstalled again, it suddenly started working again.
    Your program doesn't like long folder\file names. Installing to root shortens the pathnames enabling the program to work.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The only addon plugin is the shared memory map. I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit.

@yobrevar have you tried what I suggested?

17. yobrevar

yobrevar Registered

I've just noticed my 2nd post is awaiting moderators approval for some reason. So you guys haven't seen.
    I've got it working.
    I had to migrate my Steam folder to the root of the drive so the folder\file path lengths weren't so long.
    Once I did this, the game started working.

18. FS7

FS7 Registered

I'm having this problem, rF2 was working fine a couple of weeks ago but now it won't start. I didn't change anything in my PC, or Steam settings, didn't subscribe to anything new. Already verify files and still the same problem. I'll be really pissed if I have to uninstall and redownload everything again and reconfigure every single thing all over again.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Good news is, it's extremely unlikely you need to redownload everything.

Bad news, you may need to configure everything.

First thing, run all 4 files in the rF2\Support\Runtimes folder, and Install/Repair each one. See if that fixes it. (yes, all 4, including the 32-bit ones)

Then, try renaming your rF2\UserData folder (to something like "UserData_old", but doesn't really matter). Verify rF2 files in steam.

Then start the game, exit immediately, and change "First Run" to False in your player.JSON. Then start the game again.

That gives you a basically fresh start. If that works you could try looking at your (moved) JSON files to see if they're ok to copy back in to the new UserData\player folder, but if they're broken you'll need to find some backups or reconfigure.

20. FS7

FS7 Registered

Thanks for the help!
    Renaming the userdata folder made the game work again but it redownloaded a bunch of workshop content I had already unsubscribed several times. Then after that it took me over 1hr to reconfigure everything and get the game to work.