A couple of new problems with graphics

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Georgi Nedev, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Georgi Nedev

Georgi Nedev Registered

Hello guys,
    for the past 5-6 months I have experienced a drop in my game performance - both freezes and other problems.

I am running i7 8700, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM and Oculus Rift CV1.

So gonna list all, very grateful for your responses:
    1. Game freezes and stutters, some of them terminal as of VR picture freezes but game and sound continue. Happened at Le Mans and cost us 3 laps. Happened already 4-5 times in the past months during different sessions. Also other small 1 sec freezes almost every race.
    2. Game can't exit properly - everytime I press quit game - either it crashes with a Windows not responding message OR loads the latest car/track combo in single player. Sometimes the crash happens when exiting a ession and entering the main menu.
    3. I can't switch OFF VR. I am not able to see the configuration menu via Steam. On top of that running the "rF Config" file in Bin64 gives an error message "Failed to load advancedeffects file". After clicking OK I can enter the config. But it doesn't save or change anything, every click for a change gives the same error message.
    Launching game from Steam never asks me which option I would to run (VR, VR + monitor, monitor) like Raceroom for ex.

I am just starting to handle the problems so haven't done a reinstall yet. I think I have tracelogs if needed.
    Georgi

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

From my experience, when the picture freezes but sound and gameplay continue, that is usually a video card lockup. Often caused by overheating. The 1080 has plenty of Vram so swapping with the page file should not be an issue. One other possibility might be power-supply. A-lot of video cards list 500 or 650watts as a minimum value, but for me, 850W makes more sense.(the new Radeon cards for example) I want a power supply that is cruising, not straining for that last bit of wattage. Last question, are you overclocking anything?
    Don't bother for now with re-installing rF2. Unless you manually delete everything from Windows AFTER un-installing, many folders will still be left behind. Rather try saving/renaming or deleting your player.json and let the game rebuild that with a new one on your next launch.
    launching from Steam should give you 3 options. the 2nd option should give you the graphics tool to make changes. (1st option is Play, 2nd is launch the graphics config tool, 3rd is launch in DEVmode)

Georgi Nedev likes this.
  3. Georgi Nedev

Georgi Nedev Registered

But yeah, I have historically had CPU overheating issues and my GPU has been running 75-85 C at max sometimes.

Couldn't understand your answer about steam launch - I mean, I know it has to give me those options but for some it doesnt.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

try renaming the config_dx11.ini inside your rfactor2/user data folder. config_dx11.iXXXni will force a new one but keep it next to the original.

Georgi Nedev likes this.
  5. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

in game hit gtrl+c what you cpu usage. gpu usage must be 100% if not overclocking you cpu .
    if you use logitech steeringwheel after March it has a driver problem that prevents the game from shutting down

6. Georgi Nedev

Georgi Nedev Registered

Yeah, haven't checked the CPU/GPU usage as it seen on monitor and not VR, will test.
    Didn't know about the Logitech issue - I indeed have G29, any way to fix it?

7. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

logitech driver error applies to g-hub after March update. remove g-hub and download from https://support.logi.com/hc/fi/articles/360025298133 g-hub Software Version: 2021.21
    after installing this version of g-hub then disable automatic updates. this option can be found at the top right of the g-hub

8. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

• repair to recent g-hub Software Version: 2021.2.6021

Georgi Nedev likes this.
  9. Georgi Nedev

Georgi Nedev Registered

Will test all things above plus clean my GFX and change CPU paste, let us hope it solves things.