GTX 1070 8GB

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nieubermesch, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Anyone who has this GPU can tell me how it runs RF2 in 1080P? And the video settings. I'm looking to run it above 60 wether it's night or rain... Thanks.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Rain at night. Death to fps. Mix in the new SSM reflections???? Not just your vidcard will be stressed. The 8GB of vid memory is good though.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So are you saying 60fps on 1080p isn't possible?

@Nieubermesch how many AI you want? That'll certainly affect things. Or are you willing to take a hit with other cars, and just aim for 60 in all conditions when solo?

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that! I mean, between 15-20 should be enough for me, just for immersion. For me it's the sweet spot. Rain I don't care so much about because the physics are somewhat limited on that, but I do enjoy night racing and 40 fps isn't cutting it.

I have a 1650 with a mild OC, so I would hope to get those 20 frames with a 1070, or do I need to go higher? Those damn GPU prices aren't coming down any time soon..

Thanks.

5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I don't know why performance takes such a hit. I think it's mostly because of headlights being poorly optimized... I came to that conclusion by racing Formula cars at night on tracks with visability, and the fps didn't tank in those conditions.

6. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

To give an idea.

I7 9700K @5Ghz + 16 go 4000 Mhz + GTX 1080 a lot OC.

Race conditions which correspond to this (sometimes because weather scripted) = rain + clouds + low sun and night + 89 AI + very many multiclass.

Screen in 75 FPS and 1080p.

Everything about nvidia control panel in maximum quality and vsync enabled.

Nurburgring Combined.

Maximum all graphics (all including PP and AA)
    *EXCEPT AI VISIBLE 6, QUALIFICATION SESSION, RAIN DROPS LOW, SSR LOW, OPONNENTS LOW, FOV 30.

RESULT = almost always 75 fps, when rain and/or low sun etc, the fps drop in the worst case to 50 fps but it is very rare, and I assigned a key for the mirrors which I deactivate when it rains (very big gain of FPS).

I'm playing at 75 FPS, cleverly lowering the graphics settings just a bit, you should get constant 60 fps under almost all circumstances with a 1070 OC well in my opinion.

Just a notice.

Tom Tabone and Nieubermesch like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Nieubermesch 1070ti 8GB (i5 8600)

Settings:
    upload_2021-8-28_15-32-51.png
    upload_2021-8-28_15-33-37.png

Sebring, 1am race, raining, 20 AI (12 visible as per settings screenshot) - min 84fps. Running around 90fps in traffic.

Can adjust some settings if you have any you can't live without, or some I've used that you don't need.

*Note: I don't remember adjusting any system settings or anything. Should be pretty standard.

**Oops, car's important! BMW Class 1. There's some DLC I don't have so might be limited in things to try there.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Nieubermesch likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the truth is that sometimes I am surprised with the settings of the people ..., and the FPS they get .... I used until this year a 1070 on a 32 "4ms monitor and I always went above 100 fps with only 8 gigas of ram, 14 visible cars and 20 AI with a 8600k without OC

with high settings more shadows that I always leave low,
    the average post-processing and the anisotropic x16 antialiasing msaa 8x

This year I bought a 1080ti for VR and I'm doing great, maybe I have more screen freezing problems due to rfactor than no FPS drops

it's a bit incomprehensible

Nieubermesch likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@juanchioooo I'm usually running triples and hardly race, and never in the rain at night. So my settings are untested - I haven't tried to maximise performance at all. I would like to think performance would be fairly consistent across similar hardware, if all the same settings are used.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  10. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ok guys, thanks for all the help. I'm either going for a 1070 or a more recent one like the 1660S 8GB. I'll probably will have no big problem reaching good framerates at the settings I had on my GTX1650 in the worse conditions with either one of those.

Saying that, I really feel like there should be better optimization of said resource intensive conditions. Something that should be looked at by the devs if nothing more but for those playing in VR or triples... Must be some kind of hell to find the right settings and will look pretty lame I would guess.

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

@Lazza
    I did not say it was bad or good, I was just surprised, but since I use an I5 ... obviously many people use programs and it has repercussions but it was only that surprise, I do look for performance without losing much quality;)

12. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

The card did it for me, with some OC! Don't think RF2 should be so heavy, but no problems now.