Tyre pressures and temps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ENGLISH_52, Apr 22, 2021.

1. ENGLISH_52

ENGLISH_52 Registered

Hi I'm quite new to rf2 and sim racing on a whole. I am still trying to learn the ropes with setups on rf2. I started off on acc back in September where tyres were the main focus to get right, after reading quite alot of info regarding rf2 tyres and temps there is alot of conflicting info. Basically what I've gathered is you run the psi at the lowest, is this true? And secondly what about tyre temps, do u still need to achieve optimal temperatures? I'm currently about to start a alpine cup series, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The thing about pressures is truth.

The temperatures thing is tricky and I don't know a lot about core temps. You can check core temperatures in garage, not sure how it is with new UI. In game real time tire app shows surface temperatures. The thermal behaviour of thesurface can vary a lot in different cars physics, but usually they are made to fluctuate a lot in rF2. They goes cool fast, and heats up fast. When I do a tire, I feel them to be more true when they don't go that much cooler that quickly. However, as I said, you'd find many rF2 cars which basically reaches optimum surface temperatures while being overstressed. Meaning you enter turns with less grippy tire, and when you push it harder it just meets the optimum during the turning/braking/acceleration...

Again... this depends on content. I have heard that supposedly the official GT cars are quickest while their tires are freshest and coolest, but I drive them little couldn't confirm, but people who said it should be trusted.

ENGLISH_52 likes this.
  3. ENGLISH_52

ENGLISH_52 Registered

Thanks for the help much appreciated

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I find several cars in rf2 drive better if you let cool them down between fast laps, maybe is more mental than tires, but so it seems.

ENGLISH_52 likes this.
  5. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

rFactor 2 has been broken since 2017.

You wont find much of anything except, like in real racing, people want to run as fast as possible so that includes using all the included flaws.

Pulled from the CMSRacing.com Discord Channel:
    1- Tires: Min pressures provide you the best grip overall regardless of IMO (Inside-Middle-Outside) temperature changes.
    2- Camber: is the most 'broken' suspension geometry element in rF2 physics at the moment, since the latest 2017 update. The camber, thermal grip and contact patch values and their relationship is such that setting up proper camber for the car to handle corners does not work the way it should. In other words; if you are trying to set your camber angles so that you have a perfect contact patch on outside (loaded) tires, you're on the wrong path!. Instead camber has a more than usual relationship with global grip amount. The more closer to 0 degrees the more grip you have everywhere, regardless of cornering problems. Basically you can actually go faster at a slow track with a lot of corners with low camber adjustment then high camber adjustment, because it provides that much grip, despite the fact your outside tire shoulders are heating up so much due to wrong camber angles.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  6. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh shoot, here we go again...:rolleyes:

Rf2 is one of the best offers out there. Not perfect and I hope they continue to refine the physics in the near future (now with the new owners). Saying that, I still can't really find a better experience when it comes to being connected to the road (tire model), even if it has faults. We've had extended discussions already on this forums and we aknowledge some of the issues and some others we never reached any agreement. Studio 397 actually mentioned in a BOP of Gt3 cars that they worked on some slidy slidy driving. I don't know, I think many cars should be a bit tighter with the slick tires they come with, but still, for me Rfactor2 is my go to sim. If I was an avid multiplayer participant and actually tried to be really good, I can see where the exploits are no fun at all if you wish to drive cars realistically (if indeed the problems are so bad).

vava74, memoNo1 and ENGLISH_52 like this.
  7. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Sorry to have offended you... it was the goal.
    But all I see in the monthly Roadmap Updates is candy candy candy.
    Is it too much to ask S397 to fix whats broken first?
    I'm sure yourself in your life you have priorities, S397 needs to identifying theirs... the funny stuff needs to take a back seat to the tougher, broken, parts.
    Thank You.
    ***Edited***
    I ended up listening to EH after writing this post. Listen to the end... I think you will see yourself:

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh, you took it wrong. I actually agree with your sentiment too, even if it sounds contradictory. It's just that I do really love it so much and can't really find anything I rather drive. Maybe it's down to FFB more than anything, it's really that good to me and aside some other physics shortcomings, when it gets it right and you dont try to be the fastest ever, you don't have to break things too much.

That said, I am wishing really hard that they revise it, I really am. Until then I am satisfied but I want more. My sigh was just because you can find a thread I participated with around 50 pages and it was winding and winding and winding arguments... :D:D:D

I watched that video in the morning. I am subbed to Ermin and I agree with some of the things he says. To each his own, but for my purpouses of offline racing I am definetly happy. If I had to go around and slide everywhere to be fast and win I wouldn't play Rf2, believe me.

I even made videos to see for myself about the behavior.

Cheers

memoNo1, MotherDawg and ENGLISH_52 like this.
  9. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Just watching your onboard there, and it always seems to me like the cars in rF2 don't "lean over" enough on turn in. Just visually speaking, there is little sense of weight transfer laterally - not much apparent roll and thus not much loading up of the outside tires. Assuming this "lack of roll" hypothisis is correct, it might explain why the cars are extremely responsive on turn in and why a tire with realistic amounts of camber dosn't get loaded up properly. It's like the car is always driving around on it's tippy toes, it's too upright, too much like it's on rails with ultra stiff/no suspension. This might be why I prefer softer cars, I find the weight transfer seems more realistic to me.

In saying all this, rF2 is the only sim where I have on many occasions had the inner front/inner rear lift off the deck during hard cornering. But the stiffer cars, they don't have that sense of mass imo. But I agree that rF2 still feels the best to drive even with any real or imagined issues it might have.

Pawel44, ENGLISH_52 and Nieubermesch like this.
  10. ENGLISH_52

ENGLISH_52 Registered

1. Cheers for the comments and info its really helpfully, I just watched eh's video and its kind of what I feel about rf2, I joined a really good community which will keep me racing rf2, I also feel the vr and car choices are good and the ffb feels great but acc as a overall sim package feels the best. Just my opinion thou, and I really hope s397 can take it to the next level as it has a good foundation. People moan about the ui, and granted it isn't as clean as acc but its much better than iracing, but the physics should be a main focus again, my opinion again

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I have some other onboards that showcase the sliding nature of the rear that can be easily controlled with some setup changes, but the caveat is that I needed to get the FFB to unrealistic values, so the wheels was never to responsive and heavy. So take that into consideration.
    Another thing to take into consideration is about the camera settings and FOV values. A higher FOV translates lateral movement much better, and I also had the camera movements totally off, wich isnt a good idea if one goes to compare it to an onboard video on racing.
    There are some siffer cars that behave much more realistic than others, but other ones (maybe down to some specificity about suspension geometry models that dont work quite as well).

I didn't know about the camber issues that MotherDawg mentioned and that's quite disappointing and explains why some exploits use those as low as possible.

I think that when one is feeling the car through the FFB one can feel the car roll quite well. Not sure how or how much that aspect can have limitations when paired with some suspension settings, or if it's actually about the tire itself creating the effect.

All in all I do find Rfactor2 to please me more, but saying that doesnt mean I don't want a revision to solve this issues that are discussed and the studio seems to be hinting at that but they surely have their focus on other areas right now.

green serpent likes this.
  12. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I believe part of the problem is that the guys behind the physics (ISI) had much more focus and probably expertise on physics than Studio 397. Think about Reiza. They have created a great sim from Rfactor1 but they weren't really the creators behind most of the code (I know they implement some things, but some bigger core issues it has to be done by someone that knows the motor quite well...). Studio 397 even has been saying that they are investing into looking at this part, as they need to do that work, even if they have a physics guy that knows more than previous owners... It's simply not their own code.

avenger82, MotherDawg and ENGLISH_52 like this.
  13. Gio Nuvoli

Gio Nuvoli Registered

14. philrob

philrob Registered

A great work and Thesis, if a bit heavy in places.I have never seen an explanation of the Tyres like this in any Sim.Congratulations
    on a thorough work.

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

has a bug for a long time.....using high pressures to cool the tire does not compensate for the loss of lap times, nor the degradation:(:mad::confused:

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I know that you have pulled this quote from somewhere and its not your words, but have you tested this?
    It does not match with my testing.
    On several occasions and in many different cars I have gone to low camber (usually when testing if its possible to get middle temp where it should be in relation to inside and outside temp. It has not been faster.
    Instead I end up going for the setting where I have most grip and ignoring temp spread. This in my experience is never really low camber.

18. David O'Reilly

Yes its a bit hit and miss. Also yes the 10 deg thing wont work, it can be much more.
    On spread: sometimes the inner edge hottest (normal) but the middle is very close to the inner edge and outer edge far cooler. Sometimes inner and middle are both hot. In essence there is nothing to be learned by the temp spread, they are too either hot or not at that end as a group.
    In my experience going for best grip (with camber settings) results in getting the lowest temps (less sliding) and that means less wear. So best grip = least wear. So IMO be guided by grip levels and overall temp.
    I do however believe and have found through testing that the longitudinal performance (braking and accel) are enhanced by less camber, so there is in-game that same IRL trade-off between that and cornering.

Sim_Player and Nieubermesch like this.
  19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I haven't read the whole paper yet, but people should keep in mind that it is a Master Thesis. That means there can be given wrong information and quite frankly, if I offered my professor such a work I would get a clap on my fingers for plagiarism. There is not a single source in the text and a Master thesis with such a "Bibliography" would get me into serious trouble. It's very thin and to some extent just wrong. I don't know how it is handeled in other countries, in this case Italy, but I have to read a lot of international scientific papers for my own studies where this subject is taken care of in common scientific standards aswell. The piece that was offered here, is not a scientific work and wouldn't pass the valuation process. Just my two cents.

20. David O'Reilly

Force-India-Di-Resta-thermal-01.jpg
    I think we can safely say that isn't realistic. IRL teams do use the temp spread to assess camber because it shows how much each part of the tyre is working.
    This picture is worth 1000 words.
    The 10 degree rule of thumb comes from the fact that most teams don't get to see the temp spread in real time mid corner but have to measure it on a car that has entered the pit lane by which time the outside has cooled and the inside still heated by contact even in a straight line. Mid corner, a tyre that is working optimally will be heated evenly across its face like in the pic at the top.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Pawel44, Lars and Rui Santos like this.