Performance Rain/Night

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nieubermesch, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Man, this performance in the rain and at night is just nonsensical! How the hell does this game performs so much worse in this conditions? It makes no sense how much Rain and Night (headlights...) brake the performance of this game... Not even turning off the mirror rendering is enough to make it work smoothly. Is there really nothing you can do about this performace guys? For gods sake, even ACC performs better then this!!

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Buy a better PC.

dazzer likes this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

No I don't need a better PC... I need a better GPU, but do you know how expensive they are right now? It makes very little sense to lose so much performance in such conditions, doesn't matter if I have a beast of a PC or not...

4. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

what you pc specs?i have a oc i5 4.4ghz cpu 24 gt ram and 1080 ti gpu and i can drive lemans track night+rain weather with
    30 opponents 65-120 fps only start race i have below 60 fps about 56 fps and lemans is very detailed
    ACC i have max 65 fps usually below 60 fps same conditions than lemans and i have only 20 opponents cars

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

Maybe it has bigger impact on low end GPUs?
    I have one and rain/night is unplayable.
    Cant recall exactly but I think it was 30% FPS.
    I guess one needs 200 FPS in dry/day as a prerequisite?

It's not a big deal because neither rain nor night don't look good to me in rf2.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  6. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Rain actually is looking pretty good recently. Nice SSR implementation and puddle formation. Those performance drops when rain starts dropping are just too big in my opinion... I think it's the game with worse performance on rain conditions I've ever seen. It's also coming from headlights that at night also get turned on. Those things use GPU like crazy for some reason, as if they are aleays in ultra quality volumetric lighting... Give us some option to reduce the quality of those or something.

Night also doesn't look that bad on new tracks, apart from the weirdly non reflective cars...

I think it's a bit exagerated how much performance is lost on those conditions. Isn't there really anything you can do to help optimize this S397?

7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

What is the comparison between dry and no headlights in terms of FPS against Rain and night conditions though? Depends on settings, but RF2 settings can't really get rid of the demanding features of rain and headlights or whatever. One can't really personalize the performance enoigh

8. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yes, I don't understand why those headlights on cars are so demanding. It reminds me of the first iteration of headlights on AC with Custom Shaders Patch, but that was made on an engine with limitations when it came to implement such thing and it still was quite well optimized over it's iterations. Maybe Devs could give us some setting to adjust the quality of those things. Night racing can be exicting for me. I am less of a competitive driver then a driver that enjoys the experience, so a change of setting is nice to see and Rain actually is looking quite good to me.

9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Didnt work last time I tried that, unfortunately.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Nieubermesch it's all relative. If they slowed daytime performance so it's only 10% better than night, would that make you feel better about the night performance? :D

Nieubermesch likes this.
  11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahahah, well, thats funny enough, but since the drop from say ACC lighter on performance conditions is smaller then RF2, then RF2 can also make that gap smaller by optimizing it and/or maybe give better customization on Graphics side to achieve better results. It's not an easy thing, but I do feel some things are probably possible to be broken down and give us the possibility to customize the resources GPU uses to achieve better performance.

12. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

No problem man. I will eventually get a better GPU, but it is not solving the heavy performance cost that can't even seem to be costumizable enough to yield better results.

Sim_Player likes this.
  13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Nieubermesch likes this.
  14. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I had forgotten that PP effects are so taxing... Can have minus 30% GPU usage with them from high to low... They affect the glare intensity of light sources and thats probably whats happening and now its much better, but at a price I can accept.

15. Binny

Binny Guest

Last time i raced night and rain in VR it was crap had to turn down everything & yes tried all the tricks still crap. Could be old content not updated could also be that VR needs optimization. Honestly i think VR needs a major update and then modders need to go back and update their content if needed. Anyone try it on S397 content to see how good it is now ? maybe someone can give their opinion.

16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I use Pimax 8k plus and it suits me perfectly with the 1080ti

formula pro and official circuit fluid and great
    I still can't change cars on the track to see all the drivers when there are even number of vehicles

Binny likes this.