Notchy FFB Since Latest RF2 Update

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by V12_Ben, Aug 17, 2021.

1. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

Hi All,

Launched RF2 last night after a 2-week break from it and installed the 900+mb update.

Since the update, force feedback is now feeling notchy - even down the straights at Silverstone there is a slight tremble through the wheel which vibrates through my whole cockpit. When turning the wheel through corners, the ffb feels grainy (best word I can think of at moment).

So far I've tried the Radical SR3 and the USF2000 at several (original content) tracks and FFB is feeling notchy for both cars.

I haven't changed any RF2 or wheel driver settings since installing the update.

Before the update, FFB felt butter smooth in both of these cars, now it feels notchy (not big jolts, feels more like thousands of tiny jolts).

Is anyone else feeling a different in FFB since the latest update? If there has been some changes to the way that FFB/Wheels work, does anyone know whether the changes are intentional?

Below are my wheel and in-game settings for USF 2000. Latest wheel driver and firmware are installed:

T300 Input Settings:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZGgxoLrZJwCvZIGfvCg9llZIrHcXPMA/view?usp=sharing

T300 Gain Settings:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YUxoijjEzJej-78MuZ8fyYLMUyJXeF8N/view?usp=sharing

RF2 Wheel Settings:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AOENVaHSZZoZgy3a57rR_1P0KVhgpOQ/view?usp=sharing

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

check to see if steering help was accidentally enabled.

V12_Ben likes this.
  3. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

Thanks, checked that one but it's set to off. Made that mistake a few times over the years.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@V12_Ben I would probably back up my JSON files (in UserData\Player), and remove them all to give my config a fresh start. See if that makes any difference.

Uninstalling and reinstalling wheel drivers would be worth a shot as well.

Really? Any evidence of that? And if true, why would it only manifest since ~2 weeks ago? (ie be relevant to this thread)

Certainly I would agree a number of cars since perhaps around that time have produced some notchy FFB at least in certain situations - I suspect there is some instability in the tyre modelling that isn't bad enough to break the build process. I'm not aware of any mass migration to higher FFB smoothing settings, in fact I know many who continue to use 0 smoothing - including me on a T500.

V12_Ben likes this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Radical SR3 is the absolute worst for this

Filip likes this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

interesting topic

7. Filip

Filip Registered

Radical notchiness is normal, it's fbb was always like that. Can't remember USF2000 but I don't think it was notchy.
    Maybe somehow your smoothing or minimum torque settings got changed.

V12_Ben likes this.
  8. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

strange, I came to post a different issue, but might be the same issue... in the last few days, if i hit escape to restart a race weekend or something, its SUPER notchy on the next run. I mean as in extreme, its like pushing a gokart with square wheels. I have to to exit, and restart the game to fix it.

fanatec dd1.

I thought i might be because i did a clean install and tried to reuse my old player.json etc so did a completely new install and setup all from scratch, same deal.

9. Filip

Filip Registered

I have prahistoric Logitech.
    Smoothing on 15?!?
    I'll test it when I can but I suspect that what you're talking is nonsense.

Btw with smoothing you're always loosing nuances (for better or for worse) so yes, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

10. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

I've just taken the Porsche 911 GT3 (S397) for a lap around Silverstone and noticed the same notching. Same wheel and FFB settings as mentioned in the first post. I'd say around the same level of notching as the USF 2000. Again no changes have been made to the 911, same car setup and wheel settings for that car as before the latest RF2 update.

Also, for the three cars I've tested, running over rumble strips (all corners) now seems to give a much higher frequency vibration than before the update. This is making me wonder whether I had an issue pre-update and what I'm now feeling is actually correct.

Before the update I do remember the setting "Max wheel angle mode" stating "Automatic (Failed)" within the game UI and this setting now reads (Automatic 900) rather than stating "Failed". So this setting now suggests to me that it is now reading what it is meant to read correctly.

I've just tested a few cars in Iracing and the FFB feels smooth i.e. no change in Iracing.

If nobody else with a T300 is noticing a difference post update then it's likely that something is wrong at my end.

Thanks Lazza. Is there a way run through this process without having to reinstall any content? I'm hoping to get the FFB to feel like it did pre-update and will reinstall content if I need to but would rather avoid making any changes to installations if possible.

I did actually reinstall the wheel driver/firmware yesterday but forgot to mention it in the initial post. Sorry about that.

I was taking a break from RF2 around this time (think it was the S397 acquisition period, can't remember) so didn't read anything about this. I can only state that the USF2000 now feels different to me only after the latest RF2 update. Before the update, the USF2000 felt incredibly smooth using all the same driver and in game settings.

Think I've encountered this before (but before the recent update) when running my server but I never investigated it and can't remember it happening after every restart. Also don't think I've experienced this when running in single player.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you tried just rolling back to a previous build to check if it's build related?

V12_Ben likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Removing the .JSON files won't do anything to your content - and uninstalling/reinstalling content isn't going to do anything anyway. Unfortunately people go uninstalling/reinstalling rF2 when nearly all the files you're deleting and downloading/installing don't change and don't fix anything. (moving out the entire UserData folder is a heavier step, for FFB I doubt that would achieve anything more than the JSONs)

The .JSON files store all your configs, so if you remove all of them (after backing them up, or just move them out to somewhere else instead of deleting) you'll need to reconfigure everything, but it means you have a fresh start with no broken settings.

As an aside, the wheel rotation option you talked about won't affect the FFB itself - only the wheel rotation. (if the rotation is badly wrong it may affect how the FFB feels to some extent, but then you could emulate the 'wrong' setting by manually setting the rotation to whatever you were using before - I would say it's probably not the cause of what you're feeling - and yes, it's also possible you had some settings somewhere that were damping the FFB and what you're feeling now is correct)

V12_Ben and davehenrie like this.
  13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I may be wrong but wasn't the latest download an update of the USF2000?

V12_Ben and Filip like this.
  14. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

Thanks Lazza. I was aware that moving/changing the JSON files shouldn't affect installations however after removing the JSON files then relaunching RF, the configuration wizard ask me what content I wish to install (all, premium or anthology) without any option to skip so I aren't really sure how to proceed from there without reinstalling content.

Not yet but will add that to the list of things to try thanks.

I think the changes to the USF2000 were aesthetic only.

juanchioooo likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I forgot about that. I haven't had to clear out those files since that startup wizard was brought in so I never think of it.

Just gave it a go, when it pops up hit 'Exit game'. It will have created new JSON files already. Go into your player.JSON and edit this:

"First Run":true,

So it says this:

"First Run":false,

And then run rF2 again. Note this does give you fresh files, so apart from the CS (which links to your steam, so will have your name) you'll need to reconfigure everything including your name. But you can reference your backed up (/moved) files, or even just copy them back in if swapping them out hasn't fixed the issue.

Bit of faffing about, I know.

V12_Ben likes this.
  16. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Sometimes RF2 fails to take command of the ffb when beginning a drive. Always have the 'reset ffb' button mapped so that you can use it when you most need it. Has anyone had this happen with recent builds or has this bug been squashed?

Also i've had instances where rf2 failed to take full command over a ffb device, so that the desktop spring effect was still fully applied and overlayed with the games ffb, to terrible effect. However I think this was more of a Fanatec driver issue as a Fanatec firmware update stopped this happening. This would be unnoticed by the casual user, other than they wouldn't be impressed by rf2 ffb.

V12_Ben likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Pretty sure I had that recently, couldn't say if it was in devmode though (not that devmode should be much different). Does seem a different issue here, mind you.

18. Filip

Filip Registered

Never had that issue.
    Logitech here.

19. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

Thanks Lazza. I tried just removing the Controller.JSON file only as a workaround to my last query but the same FFB behaviour occurred after running through a fresh controller config.

I'll try what you've suggested when I get the chance. Thanks.

I did notice that my T300 firmware was two versions behind too so updated that (I thought that the firmware was updated when running the driver installer too but doesn't seem like that was the case). Obviously multiple reboots were carried out in these updates and tests. FFB behaviour was stil the same. After the update/reboot.

I also did some runs in the Lotus Cortina mod and the FFB felt smooth, maybe ever so slightly more spiky than before this behaviour started to occur but still very smooth compared to the USF2000 and Radical SR3.

Thanks for this. I haven't tried an FFB reset yet so will give that a try. Quick and simple.

20. doddynco

doddynco Registered

CPU failing to render the physics in time will cause this to happen i think. If the physics can't render it's 2.5ms cycle it will start rendering the next cycle. So what you feel through the ffb is a periodically downsampled signal. It just kinda goes all sandy and grainy.

However the tyres are rendered at 0.5ms per cycle so maybe that is what you're feeling 'fall apart'.

What processor do you have?

Exe's, programs, plugins, basically anything that isn't fresh rf2 close it. Then lower your graphical settings. Do you still have the issue?

Do you still feel it on the usf2000? (ignore the Radical as from my own testing that thing is 100% bugged out with grainy ffb)

Other cars feel worse than others because they are harder to render, and/or have handling characteristics that emphasise the downsampled phyics.

V12_Ben likes this.