[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Please attach some of those road pieces together as well. Suitable length of each road piece is around 250 - 300 meters. Avoid cutting/attaching these road pieces in the middle of the curbs or road intersections.

62 instances are way too much on so short track as Keimola. It will reduce unnecessary draw calls, a lot.

2. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

yeah i have done that and generally merged vertices together. so now the track is 16 slots. im working on unifying the outside of the track but i have to experiment with that. the track came in 62 pieces back in the day so i have had to work on myself to merge it together
    Merge 1.png
    So practically now the tracksurface is combined, i will also combine trees next to each other into a single set of objects too to cull the object count, i need to finish the merge, export the objects and after load the new objects and merge them. The only thing is that if the mesh area is too big the game will basically break the mesh so i need to be careful of that.
    Merge 2.png

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

There is 64k vertex count limit in single strip. It is good idea to keep eye on poly- and vertex count of each object. I cannot see on you pic how is the terrain is made. Terrain does not need as many polys as road surface, so you can reduce polycount rapidly after few meters away from road-terrain edge.

4. EmperorOfFinland

yeah the polycount should be fairly low on outside. as i did not rework the surface for that. and i have been merging polys on thouse parts too. the subdivision on the track itself is around 1-1.5m per tile i made error on the original that i subdivided the tracksurface a bit too hard.

So this should reduce the drawcalls by 2-4 times as there is 2-4 times less polys on the surface.

Jka likes this.
  5. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i have done the update myself, i also accidentally put a too high poly object in that i will be rectifying today with a patch.

0.961 will update the mesh considerably and make it run considerably better. i was able to get the drawcalls to max out at 1300 on its own, at heaviest its 2200 on rain with 30 cars., i can probably get the rest by optimising the LOD's more, i just put the lods in a way that there is no gaps on the track so its not fully optimised.

0.962 will update the kupla mesh with low poly mesh saving drawcalls considerably and it will release today.

GPU is the definite bottleneck on my side. and i have the habit of using probably too many shadows and reflections on the map itself so i should probably cut down on them to be honest i will optimise it later as it should be pretty straightforward thing to do.

I will also do some AI upscaling on some of the lower resolution textures for keimola to spice it up. the reason why i have not implemented IBL/PBR shaders is that i lack a way to make the dust and prebaked grip and puddlemap program so it did not work properly like on the long beach, so before i know how to do it i cant use the shaders. unless there is a way to disable the prebaked map and still use IBL/PBR shaders. without making the track too dusty

Keimola went from 1344 objects to 459 objects so i definately culled alot of objects in general and merged them, i also merged vertices on the objects so i probably lost alot of vertices on the track aswell

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Corti, philrob, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i did something to the track. i made the tires no longer static so instead of killing you instantly you will plow though them, they have 40kg of weight on them currently so they will still hurt but they wont outright kill you.

I will tune the weight of the tires after the simleague race the track is being used for is done.

0.963 changes the tires to be moveable, (Spa 1966 haybale flashbacks) so be careful with them now.

jimagn, Corti and Mauro like this.
  7. EmperorOfFinland

I did some VR performance testing, seems the track runs quite happily at 90fps on 30 porsche 911 RSR 1973 cars what are quite heavy. but it seems the wet weather has some improvements to be made for it. i need to get the fps greater there, if someone knows nice tips about performance optimising it would be great so i could generally optimise the track as in rain it dips to 45 fps on VR right now.

Drawcalls were 1500-3300 on the track but fps stayed at 90 all the time, i could probably optimise the mirrordistance for the track itself. and the loaddistance for all the objects in general. and put less stuff to reflecting so if someone knows good values for thease i can easily optimise the track

Problem is that i have a 5950x so i have more than enough cpu resources on me so i might not optimise the track that well on my own as i purely test the track in a way that can i run it, as its the new midrange level of performance from a new computer. and i really dont know what are the most drawcall heavy things on the track itself as i made it considerably lighter now.

8. TTM

TTM Registered

I done a quick check and found that every material contains _wet suffix. You only have to add _wet suffix to road and kerb materials.

9. EmperorOfFinland

hmm i remember reading that it was needed on old textures that are not PBR/IBL or they would shine too much in the rain. as thouse textures are not wet suffixed. i think i had this problem on the textures on other tracks aswell that they would not get wet at all

10. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i have been working on a textureupdate for the track. and it really seems we have come quite far from the start

2377944974_preview_Keimola Pictures 7.jpg

The updated Textures

Textures.png

11. Corti

Corti Registered

Nice job mate...that's my pending subject

12. EmperorOfFinland

I just need to figure out the real shading for the other textures and it should be pretty fine after that. i will keep experimenting with the textures next week probably i just have to do a readup on how to use them and it should be fine then.

svictor, philrob and Corti like this.
  13. svictor

svictor Registered

I have recently found this powerful opensource program called AwesomeBump that can generate most of the PBR required textures by just using a base image. It could help a lot for converting old textures properly to PBR.

EmperorOfFinland, philrob and Corti like this.
  14. EmperorOfFinland

Oh thanks Svictor i will be trying this out and see how it works so i can add the needed textures into the track. We should really make a thing for people to ease up conversiors.
    You got any idea on how to use the program in general in terms of settings? just feed the picture in?

15. svictor

svictor Registered

Not really have any advice atm, as I've just started exploring & experimenting different stuff, trial and error...

16. EmperorOfFinland

Atleast it seems i can convert the normal and spec maps

svictor likes this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

so my guess is if i stick to the values on the dev guide it should do them pretty fine?

18. EmperorOfFinland

1.0 Released as the only major trackchanging thing to do is to add some bumps to the surface of the track and that needs alot of experimentation and testing what i cant really personally do so here is the track how i have made it otherwise

jimagn, bears, philrob and 4 others like this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i decided to find the problem with the performance problems on the track so i think i will deploy a proper update to the track where i will make IBL textures for the trackside objects and also sort out the performance as there should be no way the track is running worse than nords in rain with VR. its probably related to shadows and reflections of the track.

New Kupla.png

I completely remade the kupla 3d object and culled the facecount from 5000 faces to around 560 faces. this would mean that the track would run noticeably better as for somereason the kupla object itself is fairly heavy to render.

The main issue stemms that the whole track is visible from the one end to the other so basically the game renders all the tracks objects at the same time. and there is no way really to change it as the track is quite flat and does not have stuff blocking the view that much

Hazi and Mauro like this.
  20. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I took a look out of curiosity.... holy mother

You have quadruplicated vertices on your surface (and most other) meshes....
    (before welding)
    k1.PNG
    (after welding)
    k1b.PNG

Too many materials on various objects (with physical properties)....
    k2.PNG

Some duplicated (or triplicated) materials...
    k5.PNG

As well as separate multi material objects that should probably be merged together...
    (85 total tyres, could easily be merged into 9)
    k4.PNG

A few PNG textures, that I´m guessing are used all over the road...
    k3.PNG

and no dedicated collision meshes.

GPL tracks have low res textures so in principle having 7 materials where there should only be one shouldn´t cause too much trouble. But maybe all this stuff is adding up to the cost. (I really don´t know how much though, would have to do a proper test)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022