Formula Vee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all

don’t miss out on the formula Vee very cheap on the Rfactor2 store , great little car close racing & big fun

noticed iracing had just added it then I realised it was available for Rfactor2 & I’d already purchased it ages ago
    +no doubt way better in Rfactor2 too !

2. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I'll have to try that one.
    Raced FV from 1978-1980.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Only just started using it after the iracing coverage
    Great sim car

turtleCZ likes this.
  4. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The Vintage Formula Vee in the Steam workshop is also very fun. Pretty slow, but good on a tight track for perfecting lines and being smooth.

Adrianstealth and atomed like this.
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Bet that was great John
    You must try it & report back to us if it brought back your memories of RL racing !

turtleCZ likes this.
  6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I think it’s the most difficult car to drive in rF2. Perhaps they made it even too hard to drive. In AMS 1 it’s a bit easier.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It’s easy to drive , one just has to take a bit more care when attempting to turn (-; thus resulting in more fun

8. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Can someone tell me how to drive this car? I keep spinning (oversteer) when braking/entering a turn. Is this my fault or the default setup? Can I make it a bit more understeery?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Don't brake and turn. Don't even lift and turn.

GertjanD likes this.
  10. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Thanks for the quick resonse. The first part I get. What do you mean with the second part, you should apply throttle when turning or do you mean that if you apply throttle, do not let it go? Or do you mean that you should only coast through turns? Thanks in advance!

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Generally you should be applying some throttle when cornering, at least at first. And yeah, don't lift off the throttle mid corner.

GertjanD likes this.
  12. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

So when you finish braking in a straight line (before a slow corner), you should reapply some throttle when steering into the apex? Is that what you mean?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, a little throttle to settle the back down. Do that for now - whatever you need to do in order to NOT spin.

When you're lapping consistently you can play with braking longer or even trail braking, and applying throttle later into the corner. But you need to approach this from the 'safe' side - you can't learn anything by spinning.

14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I too picked up this car after watching Empty Box in iRacing having fun with it.
    But I confess that I gave up on it after failing to fix the oversteer.
    I maxed everything available to change the balance and still couldn't stop it from spinning.
    Sounds like I need to try again but change my driving.

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

One of my favorite cars in rF2, which I don't drive enough. In general IMO the Reiza pack is 10/10.

Here is the thread that was quite popular, it also includes some Fvee discussions in some pages. For example in this page I share some of my impressions, tips on setup and driving style: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/the-reiza-dlc.61402/page-27

The car is a teacher, it isn't made to be an ultimate on rails noob friendly fast laptimes knocker. It is a car in which you are supposed to go from noob to advanced in terms of car control. But also as you can see in my posts there, I didn't find the default setup the best, at least not for me, and I achieved quite a bit more confidence in a car by adjusting setup, but learning to drive the car and getting used to it, also played a big role.

You also have to understand swing axle, rear engine, rear wheel drive, low inertia.

One interesting thing from the thread I remember is that there were this Australian guy who raced in FVee, and later there was also response by Renato of Reiza. Apparently FVee is different in various places of the world. Brazilian car is tougher to drive.

pkelly, atomed and turtleCZ like this.
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Close tense racing using a car that requires practice & skill is racing at its best

be good if this sim car was apart if the online competition system

mantasisg likes this.
  17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Regarding the difficulty of the car I'll add a couple thoughts to this discussion as I've had two polar opposite experiences with this car. The first one was wtf this is too hard to drive, far too easy to spin and too difficult to be fun, the second one was omg best car ever and fairly straight forward to drive.

Lets just say you've jumped into this car for the very first time after buying the Reiza pack, this would be my tips (appart from the usual dial in FFB, FOV etc).

1. Pick a track that you are extremely familiar with and have lots of recent practise on. Not just a general knowledge of the track, say the basic layout and basic racing line, but a literal almost physical and intimate understanding of the track, the exact radius of a line through a corner, the camber of each corner, the nature of each braking zones, etc.

2. Be in a good mood and in a patient and meticulous frame of mind. When you are in a bad mood, you can't relax your mind enough to fully place yourself in the virtual 3D space. You can turn the wheel and operate the pedals and react to what you see on the screen, but you can't properly interpret depth and general track geometry, where the inertia wants to take the car, which parts of the car are loaded and unloaded, and the slip angle of the tires and yaw of the car. If you're in a bad mood or feeling lazy and just want some instant gratification and a quick dopamine hit, give it a pass. You need to be in the right headspace to be fully engauged in the moment, trying to feel what the physics are doing and driving proactively more than reactively. Enjoy and be rewared by the sensation of controlling the car, with lap times and adrenaline hits being secondary.

3. Realize that the car is actually very stable when travelling at a steady speed (under partial throttle or steady coasting), has the ability to be placed accurately and the line adjusted very quickly by the steering and managing load (can be good and bad), and is very catchable when slightly over the limit. Drive the car "metre by metre", meaning assess and reassess the situation constantly, take nothing for granted and always be fully aware of the slip angle of the tires, if your moving even slightly off line, and if you are managing the load transfer and the forward momentum of the car smoothly. The things you would likely be doing intuitively if you were driving the car IRL and giving it your undivided attention.

One does not simply drive the Formula Vee, so much as be immersed in a meditative process :laughing emoji:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    pkelly, Adrianstealth and atomed like this.
  18. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Counter-point: drive the FVee with jerky and exaggerated steering. :)

Enjoyable car, but not a pleasant weapon to engage in tight battles vs opponents that do sudden line changes (like late-blocking AIs and maybe IRL humans). Applying a sudden light brake or lift to avoid a collision while on a corner, or tightening or opening steering lock to avoid an errant opponent is likely to lead into a terminal spin. Catching the instability is fun also, but infuriating most times when caused by a reaction to a late-block.

atomed likes this.
  19. green serpent

green serpent Registered

That actually looks like some pretty decent and smooth driving to me! The only jerky motion is when you quickly scrub the front tires mid corner, but at that moment everything is so well balanced and the front tires are at their peak grip so it doesn't really upset the car.

Out of interest why do you drive in that way? Is it to just ever so slightly adjust the speed of the car mid corner without having to come off throttle and thus become unstable? Or is it kind of a quick check to make sure you're at the limit of the front end before applying the gas? Or just for shits and giggles?

20. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

It is actually so the car suddenly rotates mid-corner when the front bites, so induced entry understeer that becomes (controlled) snap oversteer. The controlled part meaning I can generally dictate when it starts, and by how much. This gives me a stable car on exit since I usually over-rotate vs the cars I am chasing, which means I can go to full throttle earlier or at least have less scrub for the same throttle. I usually get left behind while rotating, but I gain back that time on exit.

I am also doing this for shits and giggles and practice on some corners. For example, I don't really need a lot of rotation on the right-turn Turn 3, and lose time to the AIs on the ensuing 'straight' because of my waiting for a bigger rotation, but that's another 2-3 tenths I can shave if I needed it.