Recent Performance in VR

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Craig Waddell, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

Is anyone else here having recent VR performance issues with RF2?

I've used the sim for some time with my Oculus Rift S, RTX3080 and latest generation Ryzen processor. VR performance has been good although I did take a while to achieve that. More recently it's changed from being good to a jittering slide show. Still on the same settings.

Something has changed, just trying to work out if it's changes to RF2, Oculus software or Nvidia drivers

Agahnim likes this.
  2. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

Yeah, me too.

I've created a post saying performance metrics (ctrl+F in-game) were reporting only 75fps.

I'm using AMD RX5700XT and Pimax Artisan.

It seems it's the same when using screen only.

It was okay for few days but then l have the issue again. Same GPU/headset driver, same windows update.

Do you also have this behaviour ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  3. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

Did you ever figure out this issue? I have a beefy system and Rf2 struggles with basic VR settings.

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I ran rF2 for the first time in a while. It used to be OK on my 1080 but now it’s very poor. I have now turned all graphics options to minimum, the change that had the biggest effect was MSAA but overall I still struggle to get 90 FPS on my Rift whereas before I could get 90 with a reasonable amount of eye candy.

Not a "scientific" response, I can’t be arsed to spend hours fiddling trying with a game I no longer play very much.

5. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I've a RiftS and used to use Open Composite with super sampling set in the Oculus tray tool. Doing so previously gave me much better performance than when using SteamVR.

I'm now using SteamVR with super sampling set within SteamVR. The results are better although not sure they are quite as get as they used to be in the past.

Hope this helps.

6. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

I use HTC vive with R9 5950x and RTX 2070 Super, i use okayish settings on the game but i still cant run any supersampling from time to time to keep it at 90fps at all times with 20-30 cars. when i had 3800x in the past i only ran around half of the FPS with 30 cars.

But it does feel that the performance has suffered abit, i think there was a buggy nvidia driver that completely killed the performance on Rfactor 2 like a month ago or so.

I cant use the VR masking option as that causes holes to appear on the picture that is being shown on the monitor and the recordings i make out of the races will have black areas on the picture as a result.
    But if you try thease settings out, if you have 2070 super/1080ti class card with vive resolution, then without supersampling you should prettymuch always get 90 fps on average or really close to it.

I use the MSAAX2 to filter out most of the edges but i have to try between disabling that and using supersampling, or no supersampling and using it.
    Graphics at rfactor 2 2.png

Graphics at rfactor 2.png

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021