Targa Florio WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by 6e66o, Oct 1, 2012.

1. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Driving this "Lada VFTS" on Targa Florio stage 1 ... oh my god, what a great fun driving here. Great track and good controllable car !

mantasisg and Corti like this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

@svictor If you want people to get modding perhaps you should make a thread where you show all the tricks how you make tracks with blender and 3dsimed3 as there is currently no thread for that and it would be fairly useful for people like me and others so they have easier time learning how to edit tracks. as you have showed me part of your tricks but i think we should have a unified thread for all of them.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I spend time on a lap or two as often as I can, sadly it is not possible to do it as much as I wish, and I like to attack whole lap every time.

I have tremendous joy of of lapping with 1967 cars which physics I work on, I keep on improving them, and they are sweeeeeet in Targa (my favorite are the ones that resembles Ferrari 330P4 and Porsche 911s), dangerously sweet. I'd love to make an onboard video, although it would probably be too much to ask people to watch such long laps, unless I'd have something to prove, I think it would be great idea to take fragments of whole lap that would be most interesting. Having much better slow speed physics provides great deal of fun in Targa, I wish we could update them... I hit close to real best laptimes, although not very clean ones.

As for track.... to me it is nearly perfect. There are just two places I have a problem with. One place has fps hit, but it is short segment. And then in other place road mesh is missing entirely and it is easy to accidently drive over it. Besides that it is just simply perfect, I don't know what more could be asked. Definitely increasing modelling complexity is always an option, but it just feels not necessary, and I like how fast this huge track loads in game.

It would be awesome if there somehow timed racing format would be possible, like in real Targa. But I guess it would be strange to wait many cars to start ahead of you. But it sure would be interesting. Just another thing to wish that probably will never happen in rF2.

It is also kind of a cheat to drive this track without full damage on, it is just not it then. But I guess for learning purposes it is alright. Anyway, I think I haven't done a single lap yet that I would have had undamaged car. But every lap I just keep on getting better, one of the last things that made a huge difference for me were learning better how to understand signs, and paying better attention to them, I just notice more of them.

svictor likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats great idea. I still secretly hope to get some good stuff going with Travellers scripts, but I can't get it going. Perhaps blender + 3dsimEd is a good way. I must admit work of svictor is one of the best out there.

svictor and GPNeville like this.
  5. EmperorOfFinland

Svictor could call it Svictors Rfactor 2 Modding tips with blender and 3dsimed3 :D

For example me doing 3dsmax way would be 200-350€ per month and as a hobbyist i cant justify that so i use blender/3dsimed3 combination as that is afforable compared to that but the documentation on how to do that is really sparse so i think the main issue is that 3dsmax is too expensive for majority of modders and no one really knows how to use the blender/3dsimed combination

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    svictor likes this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

Oh btw there is a hole on the track on the forest at the last 1/4th of the track

trou1.png trou3.png
    The last corner before.png
    Here is the last corner before the straight where the hole is
    @svictor

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Rogger, makan, svictor and 2 others like this.
  7. svictor

svictor Registered

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    ----------------------------
    v1.05 (2021-07-14)
    - Fixed a surface hole near Campofelice di Roccella
    - Added additional road subdivision & bumps near SS113 209 (probably is the section that easily to drive over)
    bump.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

This is my first post, I just signed up on this forum so I can say THANK YOU!
    I am relatively new to RF2, about 100 hours. I found this track on the workshop and instantly downloaded it.
    AMAZING! I read through this entire thread and I just have to say to everyone involved from the beginning of time,
    THANK YOU for making this track, thank you for continuing to make it better and you guys are what sim-racing is all
    about. Your dedication to excellence is a real treat and I am comleatly in awe of all of your amazing work.

Fantastic track, Thank You.

JD.

Bernat, Gasper Zupan, bishop and 5 others like this.
  9. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

It´s pretty crazy how much better the track is now!
    I´ve been poking at it the past couple of days, found a lot of hidden faces at the edges of the terrain; this may or may not cause trouble when making a new mask for the pbr shaders, so I started clenaing that up... also helps to smooth out the remaining blocky sections.

(Before: pre.PNG After: pre.PNG )

There´s almost 2000 textures total(!) which could probably be reduced to about 1/4 if they are atlased properly, already found duplicates in the trees and such.
    I could carry on if you´re okay with it @svictor

Attached Files:

• post.PNG
      post.PNG
      File size:
      189.4 KB
      Views:
    svictor, Gasper Zupan, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  10. svictor

svictor Registered

Hello, Mitch9

Thanks for your interest and effort, good work.

It is on purpose that I did not smooth the road edges for a reason (there are many decisions and compromises made due to various problems). And I would not advice to continue with road edge smooth, unless you plan to completely redo entire road surface and most importantly, the surrounding walls.

I'll explain below:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    1. for GPL tracks, they are not made with roads & walls as seperate objects. Instead, they are combined into a whole object. The edge of the walls are connected to the edge of the road, and the place that walls reside in has no road surface beneath them. That means you will find empty holes and gaps in the middle of road & grass if you remove the walls.

See pics below:
    Before hiding walls
    upload_2021-8-10_13-0-32.png
    After hiding walls
    upload_2021-8-10_13-0-3.png

-------------------------------------------------------

2. Now this brings a serious issue. In order to achieve gapless & seamless surface (which is important for both realroad and visual, without holes to break immersion), all walls have to be fully connected with road surface.

By subdividing road surface (and edges), the bottom edge side of wall is also subdivided. And if the road edge is smoothed, the connected bottom edge of wall is also smooth.

Now the problem is, if you check those walls, they are all low poly, if you only subdividing the bottom edge, the top edge ain't effected, this will result a low poly top edge + a high poly smooth bottom edge.

Before smoothing the outer edge:
    upload_2021-8-10_12-57-45.png

After smoothing road/wall edge & triangulated:
    upload_2021-8-10_13-10-13.png
    upload_2021-8-10_13-13-11.png

Now you can imagine what impact will bring to 3d lighting/shading when you look at a wall that has a flat top but curved bottom. And this will cause serious visual problem, especially for some very long and complex wall sections, which are very common seen across the whole tracks.

-----------------------------------------------

It is of course a few solution:
    1. Detach all walls from the road, then fill all the gaps that left from walls. This will be an insane amount work, not to mention that you have to carefully adjust the UV map to match the surrounding connected surface.

2. Subdivide all walls to high poly and smooth them. Not only this will cause addition performance issues, but also an insane amount work, and smoothing process may not always work as expected.

3. Forget smoothing those road edges that are connected to walls, only smooth road edges that without wall. However this also has some problem, such as the loop tool/relax function can fail to smooth the edge if there are some asymmetry. Of course you can individually select and smooth them, but expect it will take months.

However, also note that, by doing smoothing again (as your pictures shown), all road noises that I have generated will be gone, and you will have to redo them all again.

---------------------------------------

As for textures, I'd imagine it will be a crazy amount work.

Since I'm not track author, it is best that you contact original GPL track author for permission to carry on future update with Targa.

Thanks again for your help, and best luck.

Rogger, Bostrom, Eric Rowland and 8 others like this.
  11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Could the work be split up between a few people? Someone works on the trees.... someone works on the walls etc?

12. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

History of virtual Targa Florio.

Mitch9, FuNK!, Eric Rowland and 10 others like this.
  13. svictor

svictor Registered

Great video, really helped understanding many details behind scene! GPL version is a true milestone in simracing modding.

Xzanman, zxd1997, bears and 2 others like this.
  14. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Truly amazing.
    The impossible was achieved.
    Not just by the original team but by svictor as well.

bears, Xzanman, Eric Rowland and 3 others like this.
  15. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

RIP Nino Vaccarella .....:(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Mitch9, Raven80, Emery and 3 others like this.
  16. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Gracias, Eric. An historic find....

Eric Rowland likes this.
  17. svictor

svictor Registered

v1.06 (2021-10-20)
    - Fixed all VisGroups values which conflict with Coll=True value. All road signs & posts now visible at all time(no longer affected by Circuit Detail setting).

- Additional side road subdivision near SP24 Bridge to improve surface feedback.

- Adjusted Horizon box material to use "Alpha Blending Transparency" instead for better transition.

- Disable any chance to trigger FCY & spawn Safety Car. Now "Full w/o DQ" Flag Rule can be safely used without worrying about auto-spawning Safety Car.

- CBASH & RRSHD cached files are now packaged into MAS to reduce loading time, main track now takes around 30s to load.

Thanks to zxd1997 & Devin for the help and info regarding VisGroups.

upload_2021-10-20_23-16-48.png

Rogger, Bostrom, makan and 21 others like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

whoo hoo!

19. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I will really appreciate a PBR update, and today crowd, I can donate.

20. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I've been sorting and merging the textures over the past few months, however most textures will have to be replaced eventually. Especially the trees, it's best to re-render these, so I've started collecting some 3d models and making others.
    Idk if Victor has been working on something else, but on my side there won't be any pbr for this track untill next year

Rogger, svictor and AlexHeuskat like this.