FLAG ANIMATIONS in 3DSMax

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Luis Barata, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

This is basically a question about animations in this case flag animations.
    I can use the 3dsimed to place a flag done for any other track in my track with the graphic I want. The problem is that if I want to use several flags (no matter what texture I give in 3dsimed) in game they will show only one flag graphic - the first set in the scene (SCN). I mean if I will do 2 flags for instance a flag for France and another for Germany and do the entry in the scene file, if the France is the first entry in scene in game I will have 2 flags of France instead of a France and a Germany flag.
    I know there is a method to do it in 3dmax and export it and for sure it works but in the Developers Guide is missing and I've been searching everywhere, looking for tutorials without success.
    If anyone wants to share how to do it would be appreciated describing the entire process or even better have a video or a 3dmax file with everything assigned.
    Thanks in advanced.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

@Luis Barata That sounds a little bit as if you use the same Material (Material Name) for both Flags.
    If you want to use different Flags, you also have to use a different Material Name for each of them.

Luis Barata likes this.
  3. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

Hi not sure if I got your point. What I did and the flag worked with the animation was the same procedure I do for the marshalls, but the marshalls are all using the same sub-material and in the end they are the same only in different positions. In the case of the flags I use different materials for each one of them, for some reason they got the same material when on game doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10. So indeed I use different sub-materials for each flag the interesting thing is that all flags will show in game with the sub-material of the first I set in scene, if I change the first to another flag they automatically change to that sub-material, so all flags are similar in the end.
    I saw this method doesn't work to set different flags so I need the knowledge to do it directly in max or at a procedure that works.
    Thanks

4. redapg

redapg Registered

I'm currently still on Vacation, so i can not use 3DSMax.
    But i'm back at Home soon and can offer to take a Look at it.
    Would you mind to upload your 3DSMax File with the Flags and send me a Link by private Conversation, that i can directly check that?

5. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

Sure redapg I will prepare a file with it in 3DSMax2021. I'll get you in a private conversation.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, i will take a Look at it, when i'm back at Home from Vacation, what will be at the Beginning of the next Week, i guess.

7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You mention the material number, but is the name different? If not, then you'll only see one material.

8. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

I've tried with one texture to each flag since I could not change the UVW in 3dsime3d and it worked as I said above in the end results in only the repetition of the the flag I insert in first scn entry. I have tried now only one shader IBLSTANDARDBLEND that have a texture that cover all flags of course each flag is UVW to the correct flag. Set everything in max and in the end results in stand flags the animation doesn't work. I believe redapg is going to help me with that I am sending him the files so he could take a look.