[REL] rF2 Driver 2020 Mod

Discussion in 'Other' started by FuNK!, Jul 7, 2021.

1. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

This is the rF2 Driver 2020 Mod bringing the rF2 Driver model (helmet, suit, and gloves) into the showroom and in the game (on track) just like a car mod.

Description
    It allows you to view the driver directly in the showroom, for instance if you are designing a suit, helmet or glove design for your personal team skin. To make it even more comfortable, you can select a large helmet and large gloves (lying and standing) from the upgrades menu. Use any showroom (not included) of your liking to view the design in any detail in an environment of your choice to take preview screens or just closely inspect your design in different situations:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As this mod is based on the Skip Barber from DevMode, you can even go out on track and view your design or zombie-drive around with it:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Download
    Download v0.3
    Download rF2 Driver 2020 Template package

Installation
    Installation is simple and the same as with every other mod: Put the rfcmp in the packages folder, start the game, in the UI go to "content", to "packages", and select the "rF2Driver2020" from the list and finally click on install.

Templates
    Templates are not included and there are still no official ones, but you are not completely lost:
    My Gloves Template (probably not including the latest design of the gloves as used in the M4 Class 1 for example)
    Driver Suit and Helmet Template (also not the latest design etc. but can still be used)

A template package is provided as a separate download (see above) for a little better convenience. That package includes templates to be used with GIMP and PSD (converted via GIMP, sorry if that does not work correct). All templates have been modified slightly and are a low-effort compromise until S397 publishes the official ones.

Instructions
    Naming of the skin files is as follows, here for ALT skin:
    - altDRIVER.dds
    - altHELMET.dds
    - altGLOVER.dds (right glove)
    - altGLOVEL.dds (left glove)

You can change the naming convention any time when using a VEH file (e.g. with skin packs). For instance by including the following below the "DefaultLivery=" entry:
    Code:
    Helmet="BUCKET"
    Driver="SUIT"
    Extra4="GLOVES"
    Extra5="GLOVES"
    Note that "GLOVES" is the default naming for most official cars and causes that both gloves use the same texture. But should that not work, try "EXTRA4" and "EXTRA5" as the suffix. In the mod I did use "GLOVER" and "GLOVEL" to allow two textures with asymmetric textures (e.g. prints or logos).

Credits
    Of course the base mod (Skip Barber) and the driver model (helmet, suit, gloves) were made by Studio397. I did just do some minor modifications to the meshes and the assembly of the individual parts to create this mod and consequently do not claim any ownership.

Final notes
    If anyone wants to bring this mod to the workshop, please feel free to do so. But make sure to include proper credit to the Studio397 content of it.

Changelog
    2021-07-29 v0.3 released
    - little correction so that custom skin files are finally working

2021-07-08 v0.2 released
    - now the VEH and skin files are in a separate MAS for a little more convenience
    - added a template package as separate download

Have fun! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    DA, Matt21, The Iron Wolf and 12 others like this.
  2. Adrian Blasco

Adrian Blasco Registered

great job and very useful

FuNK! likes this.
  3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Posted a little update (v0.2) and a small template package as well as a brief instruction on texture naming. Hope that helps those having problems getting their skins set up correctly! :cool:

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Oh, and here the code from the VEH file of this mod as a reference for those interested and as an addition to the instructions in first post:
    Code:
    DefaultLivery="rF2Driver2020.dds"
    Extra4="GLOVER" //right hand - if both are "GLOVES" the same texture is used
    Extra5="GLOVEL" //left hand - use a different name, e.g. "GLOVER" and "GLOVEL" to allow different textures for left and right hand (name the texture files accordingly!) 

HDVehicle=rF2Driver2020\rF2Driver2020.hdv
    Graphics=rF2Driver2020\rF2Driver2020.gen
    Spinner=rF2Driver2020\rF2Driver2020_spinner.gen
    GenString=                       // Used to generate GMT names in *.gen file
    Sounds=rF2Driver2020.sfx            // Sounds=default.sfx
    Cameras=rF2Driver2020.cam           // Defaults to default.cfg in UserData directory
    HeadPhysics=HeadPhysics.ini      // Affects driver eyepoint only
    Cockpit=rF2Driver2020_cockpitinfo.ini
    Upgrades=rF2Driver2020_upgrades.ini
    AIUpgradeClass= 

Number=01
    Team="rF2 Driver 2020"
    PitGroup="Group1"
    Driver="John Doe Jr."
    Description="John Doe Jr. #01"
    Engine="S397"
    Manufacturer="S397" 

Classes="rF2Driver2020" 

FullTeamName="rF2 Driver 2020"
    TeamFounded=
    TeamHeadquarters=""
    TeamStarts=
    TeamPoles=
    TeamWins=
    TeamWorldChampionships=
    Category="S397, rF2 Driver 2020"

Art_Pereira, Hazi and Corti like this.
  5. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Hi, thank you so much for this.
    I've just done a few liveries and wanted to do some matching glover/suit.
    However I just can't get it to work.

I get the folders created, just like for a car livery, however unlike the car liveries I've done Im not getting an alt.json or alt livery created.
    Still I drop my altHELMET, or altDRIVER etc into the folder and hit refresh then mas files will be created and my alt skins become selectable but when I refresh I'm still getting the original versions displayed.

I thought maybe that I might be saving the textures in the wrong format but they load up just fine in game.
    I am on the release candidate if that makes any difference.
    Am I supposed to be running this in DEV mode ?

If anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate it
    thanks

currently I'm using 3dsimed with your models

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  6. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

@Smeghead sorry for the late reply. I will have a look into that during the next days. Maybe I just missed to implement something!?

7. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

great thank you, will be a great resource

8. badun

badun Registered

Hi FUNK, I would find this massively useful, but its not working for me. All seems ok, but it wont change from the default helmet skin to my own...... I know the naming rules etc, it just will not change even though i can select them in the list.
    any ideas mate, thanks

9. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

@badun can confirm that I made a mistake there and working on a fix that I can release in the next days... hopefully :cool:

badun likes this.
  10. badun

badun Registered

aaaaaah cool, good man, thanks

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

@badun @Smeghead
    Uploaded v0.3 that hopefully now works as intended. But of course please let me know if there is still any issue!
    [​IMG]

badun likes this.
  12. badun

badun Registered

hi mate, not working here i'm afraid. I have uninstalled 0.2 but still no joy. the garage basically doesnt laod anything other than the default 'skin' even though the new ones are in the drop down list.

FuNK! likes this.
  13. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

That's not a mistake: You need to create a custom team from the menu, then place all your textures in the folder that was created for it under "SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/rFactor 2/UserData/player/Settings/rF2Driver2020". When reloading the game should automatically pack all textures into a MAS. Then you should see your skin when selecting the new driver from the menu. Can upload screenshots later, if required.

14. badun

badun Registered

aaaaah ok mate, i'll give that a try

FuNK! likes this.
  15. badun

badun Registered

FuNK! likes this.
  16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Awesome, glad it works now!
    Yeah, the whole system is a bit tricky and also little typos do already result in issues. But once you get used to it, you will not see many problems ;)

badun likes this.
  17. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

hmm, I'm still doing somethin wrong then

i select driver John Doe Jj
    then hit customise
    then create
    then create skin dir
    this creates "userdata/player/settings/rF2Driver2020/RF2DRIVER2020"
    I then save my altGLOVES, altHELMET, altDRIVER into this directory

hit refresh
    under the skin tab I can now select altHELMET etc
    then I hit refresh but I've still got the default skins.

I'm sorry for being slow but I'm missing something.
    From reading above I can see that your talking bout creating a custom team so the above method which I use for car skins is incorrect.

much appreciated if you can point me in the right direction

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  18. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You don't have to refresh all the time.
    This would be the workflow to create a new driver/team with your own skin, in the new UI, assuming the custom skin directory already exists:
    1. Select the driver "John Doe Jr. #01 0.3".
    2. Click on "customize".
    3. Switch to "create" tab.
    4. Select your skin from dropdown if other than "ALT" (filename "ALT.dds").
    5. Enter "Driver name", "Team name", "Car description", and "Car number". As an example I do enter the following:
      1. Driver name: "Jane Doe"
      2. Team name: "Amazing Team"
      3. Car description: "Jane Doe #321" (will be shown in the UI)
      4. Car number: "321"
    6. Click "create team car"
    7. Open your file browser in the path "/userdata/player/settings/rF2Driver2020/"
      • Put your "altDRIVER.dds", "altGLOVER.dds", "altGLOVEL.dds" and "altHELMET.dds" skin files into the newly created sub-directory. In my case it's named "Jane Doe".
      • Optional
      • I usually rename the newly created RCD file (maybe "0.rcd" or "1.rcd" or similar) to something more specific. In my case, I will name it "Jane Doe.rcd".
      • If you like, you can also rename rename your skin to a more specific name. I will rename the skin also to "Jane Doe", so I open the RCD "Jane Doe.rcd" and change
        Code:
        Skin = alt.mas
        to
        Code:
        Skin = Jane Doe.mas
        . And in the sub-directory "Jane Doe", I rename all the DDS and the MAS to "Jane Doe.dds", "Jane DoeDRIVER.dds", "Jane DoeGLOVER.dds", "Jane DoeGLOVEL.dds", "Jane DoeHELMET.dds", and "Jane Doe.mas".
    8. If rF2 is still running in background, I suggest to either switch to another driver and come back to your new skin to see the change. But if you changed the naming and stuff, I suggest to quit and relaunch the game because cache will be emptied and the skin will definitely be reloaded and repacked into the MAS.
    Hope I didn't miss a thing. But let me know if it still doesn't give the expected results ;)

19. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

ok, i finally get it thank you very much.
    I was trying to use it like a a car skin where I have photoshop and rfactor both running and can continually refresh as I paint the cars.

20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

That should still be possible but only after you have set up everything appropriately and don't change any namings or rcd contents.