Graphics Card Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Cole, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

What type of frames do you guys get?
    I'm looking to get a card. probably a gtx770 970 or 980 until 2023 when the prices are normal again.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I have a 970, alone on track it's not too bad, I get ~90fps on three monitors, but with other cars, like during VEC races, I'm down around 30 or less.
    Edit: I actually have a 1070.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Wow that's a big hit, Alex!
    I'm usually able to keep it above 90 with triple 1440p.
    I try to keep it at 141 with Gsync but usually can't sustain that.
    I have a 2080 Super which I was lucky to get before the shortages.

4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I have a gtx970, its an old one. On an ultrawide screen I'm at 50-60fps but with 20-30 cars or a heavy pit area it can drop to mid 30's.
    Go for something faster if you can, unless its really cheap.

5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I would have a look for a good 1080TI card, I run at max graphic settings with 30+ cars on a 32" 4k monitor and it rarely drops below 70-fps while driving, average is about 120-fps, it sometimes drops to 60-fps on replay with trackside cameras. This performance is without any overclocking of any kind. There's lots on ebay at reasonable prices. The only cards that are faster are 2080ti but only slightly, the 3080 and 3080ti are significantly faster about 30-35%. The only card I would consider upgrading to would be a 3080TI, the 3080 has less memory than the 1080. Some of the newer tracks uses the whole of the 11gb of memory which the 1080 has so I wouldn't buy any card with less than 11gb of mem. Maybe this will give you food for thought.
    P.S. I can run ACC at about 90-fps with near max graphic settings.

6. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

i forgot to add it will be on a single screen. also no gtx770, it's to weak. I'll probably get a 980ti because it's just in my price range.

7. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yeah... 980ti or 1070 are plenty enough for 1080p... and have enough Vram.
    Buy which ever you can find the cheaper.

A normal price was around 150euro for the gtx1070.

8. jepeto

jepeto Registered

hello my freind,
    i play on 1920-1080 pixels, i have a gtx 1070 and get 383 FPS on silverstone the good named with f1 1989 mod found in isr rf2 website
    it s the only way to have a real sim

Joe Cole likes this.
  9. PhilT

PhilT Registered

I can sell you my 1080ti when I can find somewhere to buy a 3080 without needing a mortgage. The 1080ti works well but I run VR and would just like a few more cars on the track and it does struggle to get 90fps which you absolutely need in VR. Currently run about 20 cars and it just about copes. On a single screen the 1080ti will be smooth as a babies bum. Play around with draw distance of mirrors for some nice performance boost without losing too much. Shout if you need more details I've just learnt this trick myself.

10. Highlandwalker

You can buy from EVGA direct at the proper retail price, no inflated prices from scalpers. There system of buying is fair, your name gets added to the list and when your name reaches the top of the list you receive an e-mail with the option to buy within a certain time, if you don't buy at that moment your name goes to bottom of the list but your still on the list so your name would go to the top of the list again at some point. Can definitely recommend EVGA cards, I have been using a 1080TI for two yrs without any problems.
    https://eu.evga.com/products/produc...ily=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3080

Eric Rowland, juanchioooo and Reiche like this.
  11. PhilT

PhilT Registered

Thanks @Highlandwalker! Can't believe I've not bumped into that before. Signed up. Let's hope with the miner sell-off that stock will be a bit more readily available. Hope I can get it in time for my CSL DD to arrive. Driving with an XBox controller is such a drag!

@Joe Cole Let me know if you're interested in taking my 1080ti if you wanna wait a bit. No worries if not. I'm based in the UK.

Highlandwalker likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

(finds out that there is a family-friendly meaning of FTW I didn't know about :rolleyes:)

Eric Rowland likes this.
  13. Highlandwalker

Glad to be of help, I've no idea what the waiting time is for the cards. I would be interested in what sort of performance the card gives you when you have it set up, especially on a single screen because I only have enough space to use a single 32" screen. I consider scalpers are just parasites and total assholes, I've seen lots of gear at ridiculous prices and people who buy at these prices are idiots and have more money than sense, it just spoils it for the average person, if there were no idiots there would be no scalpers. Sorry for the rant. Good luck with getting your card.

14. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

Hi everybody,

new to rF2 here, I'm trying the rF2 demo on my laptop, and even though it seems to meet the recommended settings (except for the GPU that meets the minimum ones), I'm getting around 20 FPS in single player with no AI, despite having all graphics settings on minimum.

I have an Intel core i5-8265U 4-core CPU @ 1.60GHz, 8 gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce MX110 with 2 GB internal memory, win 10 (on high performance settings from OS power management and the nvidia control panel).

In game settings are: 1920x1080 single screen and no antialiasing, everything else on low / off (track and car details, etc.), and no other app in the background (including steam).

In single player with no AI cars, at Zandvoort with the Radical sr3, I get around 23 fps, barely playable in single player, and definitely not online.

Is this expected with the specs above? Any suggestions on how to increase the fps?

15. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This is very much expected with those specs. Don't think you can do much more other than buying a gaming pc/laptop, with preference to a PC due to thermals

16. coasting&cruising

Ok but which is/are the bottleneck on those specs? They seem to meet even the recomended requirements.

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With all the graphical updates rF2 has undergone, I'm surprised your system even loads any of the newer S397 tracks.

justposted and Filip like this.
  18. coasting&cruising

These are the current minimum and recommended system requirements:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/rFactor_2/

MINIMUM:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GTS 450 or AMD Radeon 5750
    (NB: the nVidia GTS 450 has 1 GB onboard memory)
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 30 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

RECOMMENDED:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
    (NB: the nVidia GTX 760 has 2 GB onboard memory)
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 60 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

So it seems my specs are above the minimum requirements, and even meet the recommended ones, except for the cpu. So the official system requirements are not updated?

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Minimum specs are extremely outdated. Those will allow the program to load and barely run, but your system is nowhere near stout enough to run the newer DLC cars at the laser scanned tracks. Many of the tracks without any AI require 4-6GB of video ram at the barest settings. You can probably get some to run, but to appreciate the program, you need more. Just like ACC for me, I can run it, but it's herky jerky.

20. Filip

Filip Registered

In Nvidia Control Panel set every option for rf2 app for max performance at the expense of quality.
    Lower the resolution from 1920 to 1440 or even lower!
    Check if you have correct gpu selected in rf2 gfx properties.
    Check if you have some vsync option selected.
    Try running in borderless/windowed.
    Turn off all mirrors.
    No clouds, weather should be 100% sunny.
    Turn off rain drops (yes, even though it's sunny).
    There are some JSON tweaks I can't remember.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021