It's getting worse and worse

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by PatB, Jul 5, 2021.

1. PatB

PatB Registered

Hello,
    I'm not doing it and it's getting worse and worse.
    By dint of shutting down my PC using the On / Off button, I encountered a disk error which has now been repaired. I completely uninstalled Steam and games including RFactor2.
    So on a disk without any Steam and its games folders, I reinstalled them.

The problem is exactly the same and even worse. The pity in all of this is that you never know what Steam is installing, controlling, how long it will check and when it will stop.

In addition, installation is never done the same way. Once the installation is done, RFactor2 offers me to play but after its own verification, I realize that there is no vehicle and circuit installed ...

If I don't do a local files check on every boot, the game won't start (and again it's not safe at all).
    It is painful to see that when the game has started it works perfectly ???

I have no idea how to do it any more, as it is also absolutely impossible to get support from the game publisher.
    Who could help me?
    Thank you.

2. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Sorry you have to experience that. Have u looked at disabling the steam game cloud option? What rf2 version? Have u tried another disk?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

From my experience, once a disk starts producing errors, it never is fully repaired. I used to spend hours waiting for the
    chksk or other microsoft apps to try and fix a disk. There would always be damaged sectors that could not be removed and those, even when supposedly fenced off, would spawn more errors. I think the problem is more in line with Steam & Windows & your hardware, rF2 is just the program which displays for you the injury.
    Simplest solution would be to get a mid-sized SSD (.5 or 1.0 Terrabyte) and bypass your hard drive. There is an option, somewhere in the Steam preferences that disables automatic downloading. I do not know if that also applies to updates to Steam itself.

4. PatB

PatB Registered

Thanks to reply. The cloud use 4.44 kb to backup the game... This is the latest version of RFactor 2 with the new interface.
    The internal SSD drive has no errors after being repaired (CHKDSK / F / R)

5. PatB

PatB Registered

Thanks for reply ;-)
    I'll watch this. But the drive has no error and has been new for a few weeks (1TB Samsung SSD 870 EVO and 500GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO system drive)

davehenrie likes this.
  6. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Have you tried Previous Release or Old UI?

7. PatB

PatB Registered

Thank you for your reply. However, I really don't see how to switch to an old release and use the old UI which would be counterproductive ...

In addition, it seems to me that the problem is not in the game itself but in its start within Steam.

8. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

PatB likes this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

@PatB Have you ever tried it with running Steam and/or rFactor 2 as an Adiministrator?

PatB likes this.
  10. PatB

PatB Registered

11. PatB

PatB Registered

Yes I also tried. The problem is the same. Thank you

12. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I get that, but if you've had disk errors there may be something outside of Steam which might be causing an issue with Steam.

As I said, it doesn't take long and doesn't do any damage so can't hurt to try. I do it as a matter of course a few times a year and it always picks something up, even when nothing appears wrong.

It could also be an issue with your Windows User Profile, you could try creating a new one and seeing if you have the same issues there.

PatB likes this.
  13. PatB

PatB Registered

I did well to listen to you. Indeed, there were corrupted files and SFC fixed them ;-)
    Now I'll take care of RFactor and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you

Dave^ likes this.