A beginner's questions on rfactor 2, mods and more

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Underbird, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Underbird

Underbird Registered

Dear rf2 community,

after over a decade of sim racing on various titles (of which I consider GTR2 the all-time great), I finally bought rf2 - and love it. However, I have a few questions, most of them concerning mods:
    - in multiclass races, is there a way to sort the grid in rough class order (prototypes in front of GTs) without running qualifying (GTR2 did this by default)?
    - can weather be set to random (I am not sure whether setting it to scripted leads to random weather)?
    - is it possible to run ISI's C6.R GT2 in the GTE field of the Enduracers mod?
    - most cars in the workshop, no matter their rating, and even paid mods (!) exhibit physics which seem very strange to me: they either have ridiculous grip (WTCC 2017), are tremendously slidy (Flat 6, V8 Supercars), or simply undrivable due to lack of inertia (WTCR 2018). In contrast, ISI's and Studio 397's cars feel as natural as any sim racing car ever felt to me. Is there any reason for this, other than rf2's often cited complex physics engine, which seems hard to master by mod teams?
    - is a conversion of the following cars available? GTR2's default cars (FIA GT 2003 and 2004), Race 07's default cars (WTCC 2006 and 2007), CTDP's F1 2006 or Enduracers' original rf1 mod (with the glory that was the Porsche RS Sypder)
    - which high quality mods of full grids (all drivers, teams, cars, classes) of high profile racing series (F1, Indycar, international Endurance, GT and touring car series) are available (both current and historic)?
    Thank you very much for your help.

Best,
    Underbird

2. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

- can weather be set to random (I am not sure whether setting it to scripted leads to random weather)?
    Depending on how it´s set up, the default weather could have a chance of rain so it´s kind of random. You could also try this: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/randomweather-plugin-0-1.49466/
    or this https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/weatherplugin.58614/

- is it possible to run ISI's C6.R GT2 in the GTE field of the Enduracers mod?
    ...sure? why wouldn´t it be possible?

- most cars in the workshop, no matter their rating, and even paid mods (!) exhibit physics which seem very strange to me [...] Is there any reason for this, other than rf2's often cited complex physics engine, which seems hard to master by mod teams?
    Ratings are meaningless (especially steam ratings, no idea how they´re calculated), so is paid vs free content, in terms of quality. Most mods, in any game, will be low quality, some will be decent and only a few will actually be really good.
    The main reason why there aren´t very many great mods in rf2 is because the community is small so knowledge isnt easily accumulated (also there´s only official support for 3ds Max and the graphics engine has had several changes recently). Specifically for cars the engine seems to be overly complicated, from what I´ve heard (race sim studios seems to have given up making a car for rf2, for example).
    I dont think there´s a guide or guidelines on how to interpret and adapt "real data" (if you can get any) to the game´s engine, or which modders even try to do some educated guesstimates; my guess is most things are mostly done by feel.

Underbird likes this.
  3. Underbird

Underbird Registered

Dear Mitch9,
    thank you very much for your reply.
    - I'll check out those plugins
    - my questions was regarding overall pace, tyre compounds, fuel tank size. Overall balance, to say it in a short way.
    - that's a detailled answer - thank you very much. I'll try my best to find the best mods, and stick to them.

Best,
    Underbird

4. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Now that I think about it, I´ve never heard about the enduracers GTE pack, are you sure you´re not mistaking it with the GT3 one?
    Either way, I wouldn´t expect it to be fully balanced even if they´re around the same era but you´ll have to try them out to be sure. (and maybe dip into the murky waters of modding if you want to balance them out :D)

Underbird likes this.
  5. Underbird

Underbird Registered

I was referring to the GTE class within the Enduracers mod. Is there a GT3 mod by them (which would be great!)?
    I will - thank you!

Best,
    Underbird

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Some of the Paid DLC content has been referred to as The Endurance pack. This may have led to some confusion by your responders. rF2 doesn''t sort like GTR2 did, but if you run a practice, and time accelerate, then skip qualifying you should get a fairly well sorted field. Just remember if you plan on racing in the rain, the AI must drive in the rain prior to the race start. So plan on a wet end to your practice if you want a wet start to the race. This 'should' prevent the repeated pitting for wet or dry tires lap after lap. Also a rain fix, at the end of your wet practice, save the Real Road condition and then load that prior to the actual race session.

Underbird likes this.
  7. Underbird

Underbird Registered

Dear davehenrie,

thank you for your reply. I'll try skipping qualifying and use the fixes / hints you provided.

Best,
    Underbird

8. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Hi Dave

Sorry to jump into this thread - but you mentioned that you would skip Qualy - why would that be out of interest?

I was always lead to believe that you should always run a Qualy session?

Thanks!

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When we were complaining about the lack of a lap time gap between GTE & GT3, a user here pointed out the practice times often sorted mixed fields better than qualifying. So essentially, make practice your qualifying session. When you have run enough laps, time accelerate to complete the session.

Mitch9 likes this.
  10. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Ohh ok thanks!

I had a feeling there was something off about Qualification, but could never put my finger on why.

I'll give this method a go next time.

Thanks again