Track bumps methods

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by PatientRF2fan, Jun 20, 2021.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Wanted to ask what methods fellow modders are using. Always learn something new on these forums.

I have been attaching-weld the whole track and using stacks and rename the modifiers for track sections.

Noise turn1
    EditPoly
    Wave chicane
    Editpoly
    Noise front straight
    Edit poly

Going to experiment with soft selection and paint soft selection next
    Anyone have some other methods they would like to share?

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i've used FFDs carefully for longer bump/undulations. Sometimes in combination with Soft Selection, because FFDs can start/end with abrupt angles. So I usually use the 4x4x4 FFD, align it diagonally, and then only use the two most central points, which ensures the edges blend out smoothly. A 5x5x2 FFD would be a nice idea if they had one. And the FFD box with custom segments can work but also suffers from odd edge effects in most cases I've tried it. So 4x4x4 FFD is my main one. And often i need to use several of them in a stack to make slightly more complex bumps, or edge realignments etc

3. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Awesome, thanks for replying. I haven't played with the FFD 444. So are you making dips / raises and left / right side bumps with 444?

4. woochoo

woochoo Registered

any sort of thing :) If you include enough terrain you can make hills, but of course it would be quite uniform if you only use one of them.
    But also with four vertical layers you can effect higher or lower levels differently as well which can be useful.
    But as i say, i've needed to use only two of the four inner columns, and align it diagonally, otherwise things can warp undesirably. Depending on the situation, using soft-selection can help control the boundaries too

PatientRF2fan likes this.