New Formula 1 car & series

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 18, 2021.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Another tyre manufacturer candidate could be Michelin, since they are the Formula E supplier.

Rui Santos likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Strangely, the translucent halo is the more realistic option. Cos science and the human eye seeing around the pillar.

Lazza likes this.
  4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

A fantasy car doesn't need a halo.

atomed likes this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

For me, regarding the halo, the best is to include an upgrade that makes it invisible only from the cockpit view (the whole halo).
    Then you can choose to view it or not. But it's visible in the broadcasts.

pkelly, atomed, Bill Worrel and 5 others like this.
  6. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

CL of current F1 cars are never exact, but the ballpark is roughly 5.5, 2019-20 car likely slightly higher. With the underfloor and diffuser change for 2021 maybe it's slightly less, but it's already been quoted that teams already regained much of that lost downforce. Not certain if those statements are true though.

Looking at the coming rF2 car, and taking the words at face value, you can take that quote as the peak value. Just doing some blind estimation since we don't know the details of that value, we can measure it at 321 kph (common measurement speed) in ISA conditions and you get a CL of about 4.84, which is quite good considering the weight of the car, and also fairly close to some early CFD results from a 2022 reg F1 car.

The 2400 kg could be measured at a higher or lower velocity though, so all this can be complete bullshit. Better to just wait and look at it when the car is available.

David O'Reilly, EricW, TJones and 2 others like this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Just over 3t at 185mph (300kph) according to McLaren.

8. Glyn Cooper

Glyn Cooper Registered

Very pumped for new Formula car but wont lie , very dissapointed though that still not hybrid car. I was really hoping leagues would get there hands on a hybrid car. I guess it cant be done with rf2 engine.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, too much gets laid on "the engine". A simple hybrid could be laid on top of the existing physics without difficulty, but it would take some planning and work to do it rF2-style (ie properly... like the turbo code, that could have been a quick hack version instead) and evidently they don't want to do that without a licensed car to use it with.

I agree on the rest though. Planning rF2 development must be a tough job.

10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It was either going to be “still no hybrid? When are we getting hybrid?” Or “it’s a fantasy car it doesn’t need a stupid hybrid engine give it a V8 or V10!” If it did have a hybrid XD

11. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

An indycar would be cool as well!

Ricardo Diz, FrC and DiggerHawk like this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It's kind of nice that there is a "let's do it the right way"-mindset with no shortcuts, on the other hand I feel that this has been holding back rF2 quite a bit over the years, especialy as an attractive platform for modding teams. The turbo model for example is one of the reasons why the DRM modding team didn't use rF2 as much as I understood from one of their streams. And the same issue applies for different other areas of the sim, especialy drive train modeling and hybrid technology. Obviously we don't have enough information on the new car yet, but this car would be the perfect test bed for hybrid technology and could work as a blueprint for modders who have been requesting this technology for quite some time now. Why not start with a simple model that can be expanded in the future? Why start with the most complex model ever in sim racing? When there is a lisenced hybrid car there is a good chance that important data gets encrypted once again.

The biggest problem is not that rF2 is hard to mod at this point, the biggest problem is that it has no systems in place at all for technology that is genre stanard by now, so modding teams might be moving somewhere else. No one is asking for a clutch model that only engineers understand at this point, eventhough that seems to be the self applied standard. People are simply asking for a model that prevents flatshifting through the gears without using the clutch. In that regard I feel that S397 needs to get back to the drawing board and get some of those core areas fixed before they even have a platform that can be presented as the big esport platform.

Let's face it, you can't market rF2 as the most advanced sim on the market when Villeneuve get's the edge in an M23 while using a gamepad connected to a laptop while sitting at the kitchen table. Stuff like that is funny at first glance, but it also sends a distinctive signal. :)

Bill Worrel and Lazza like this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In reference to your clutch/transmission request, I recently viewed a video which was focused more on the sound of cars. The Porsche at Spa clearly demonstrated that even with modern transmissions, the drivers still downshift with a measured pause between each gear. It more appropriated a standard box that requires a clutch and rev matching to properly downshift. I second your request for more work in the shift mechanics.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Time to get my formula 1 steering wheel out again
    It was getting dusty

15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I was thinking about the year and it seems incredible that the last Official formula car the F ISI is 9 years old!
    Really looking forwards to trying the new one.

16. Filip

Filip Registered

You mean the most modern F1?
    McLaren F1's are much more recent additions, so are Tatuus F3/F4

17. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Not a bad car at all , drives like I would think ---- steering wheel feels old fashion- but who cares .