LMP2 Oreca VS Ligier

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Csaba Kiss, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Csaba Kiss

Csaba Kiss Registered

Hi! I tested a lot both of the cars. At the moment I realized a very big difference. The Ligier is clutching out at every downshift and upshift. Which means it has less engine brake. And because of that longer braking zone and slower laptime.
    Can You guys take a look on that? I think the two LMP2 cars has to be same in drivetrain. Cuz now there is only one of the cars can be called to LMP2.

Thanks forward Csaba.

2. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

The regulations oblige to carry the same engine and ECU, Gibson & Cosworth, but even if it is the same ECU I do not know if the programming of this is the same for all or each car adapts it to your convenience.
    And I think Ligier mounts a Hewland gearbox, Oreca mounts an Xtrac gearbox. I do not know if its operation is the same but perhaps the difference in behavior is there

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Alex may have a point about real world differences, but I have seen some posts where users have claimed the Ligier is from an existing mod.(EuroRacers I think) Perhaps the differences are how each car was created. When I was collecting cars for the SCC mod for GTR2, I would always ask if I could replace engines and tires and Aero so that the MODEL behaved similar to our previous content. I have no information how this Ligier was brought to rF2, (other than the stray rumor or two I mentioned above) so I don't know how many shared bits of code are in the two cars.

4. Csaba Kiss

Csaba Kiss Registered

Yeah. I know these real life differences. But the thing is as the state of the cars will be the same like this the oreca will be faster on any track. Thats the issue.

5. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

The first thing to say is that I have not tried Ligier, but in real life they are different in chassis and transmission, and I suppose there will be some more differences. I don't expect it to work the same as Oreca.
    I don't know if it consumes more or less (in races of 12 hours or more could it mean a few fewer stops?), If the tire wear is the same, if the engine is more resistant ...
    maybe on some circuits one has an advantage over the other, I don't know, but in real life even Ligier admits that he can't compete with Oreca in LMP2.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't know anyting about those cars, but what you describe, could be that the Ligier has rev-matching system?

7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

These are drive by wire cars including gearshifts. While the engine ECU is fixed, throttle position and shift timing logic has some user configurability. Clutch parameters may also differ. If you run with Auto-Clutch turn it off and try driving it. If you're a paddle shifter it only takes a few times to "double paddle" it to Neutral. :)

For me both the Oreca and Ligier tend to run pretty close lap times at various S397 tracks after setting them up. I typically run equal with the AI at 95-100% after about 40 laps of practice & setup. Not sure how that compares with others, I pretty much just run laps with some AI.

A while back (before the Ligier I think) the Oreca had a clumsy shift for those who blipped throttle on downshift as I recall, but seems to shift better now, but there is a difference between the two on shifting; I like the Ligier better.

davehenrie likes this.