Extremely Dangerous Unexpected Behavior in rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prceurope, Jun 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. EricW

EricW Registered

No moderators here?
    What's the use of a official forum when there is no interaction or moderating.
    On Discord you get summed to report issues here because it otherwise gets lost in history, and here there is no reaction.
    This causes long threads with many irrelevant reactions and people who like to be heard somehow.
    This is a safety issue and it needs to be solved.
    Period.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    TurboHenk, rand777 and SuperMonaco_GP like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I have the problem too, but in my case it’s certainly not returning within 1 ms at maximum 25Nm on my SC2 Pro. It’s sudden, but the force is significantly less for me.
    In addition the wheel often tuns almost 180 degrees at the beginning of a race or when resetting a race, which is more dangerous for me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  3. Supa

Supa Registered

Simsteerng 2 26nm user here. This sudden resetting of wheel happens all the time to me too! Pretty damn dangerous that's for sure!

rand777 likes this.
  4. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

agree, this is the most useless forum in all simracing.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Perhaps one of you could film the behavior so the mods can see the action without having to duplicate the setup you have. Check with Mantasig which forum it should be uploaded to.

6. EricW

EricW Registered

When a technical explanation of what happens isn't enough to convince people..
    I'm pretty sure at least someone in the team owns a servo wheel.
    Just try a rolling start against AI on Le Mans for instance and do a couple of restarts, Esc and restart race.
    When we have to prove it that way to be taken serious, I expect a request from the team to show it.
    i will happily take the time to do it myself.
    In case of damage I expect to be compensated though.

avenger82 and SuperMonaco_GP like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not wheel specific. You can do it yourself.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't have a dog in this fight, I was SUGGESTING a way forward for the users who have experienced this.
    And to @EricW This was just a suggestion, this is a topic you and others have felt important to raise. So make the phone video or don't, but please try not to appear snippy at those who were merely trying to help you (yes you!) prove your point.
    I've got a crossword to finish...later....

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Merely pointing out the behaviour is the same with any wheel, the potential consequences just get more extreme as the wheel gets stronger. This isn't some DD-only mystery, and it's not new.

Maarten Nauta likes this.
  10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Not quite true. I guarantee it won't happen with my wheel.

11. EricW

EricW Registered

I can also prevent it from happening if I want, because I know how it works.
    The problem lies in the fact that people who do not know will experience it.
    And normally they restart a race when they spun out or crashed in the middle of the pack, with the wheel in a full lock.
    And do not know how the wheel is oriented after such a event, or simply do not expect they need to point the wheel in the right orientation before restarting.
    And as lazza says, its always been that way.
    In VR this is even impossible to know.

And I don't have to prove anything, lol!
    I did not create the code, I'm a user ( who enjoys RF2) trying to explain the issue.
    And trying to help out in improving these kind of issues by giving accurate feedback on them.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    rand777 likes this.
  12. rand777

rand777 Registered

This happened to me once when I first started playing. I mapped restart to a button on my wheel for offline play. When I pressed the button on my steering wheel it suddenly turned full force which was definitely not expected. Fortunately I escaped injury but this is definitely a safety issue that needs to be fixed.

13. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Registered

even if someone from s397 sees this thread and aknowledges the issue - which would be pretty surreal in and of itself - do not expect any fix before a couple of years. we have more pressing issues right now, like the road reflection thing. true gamechanger.
    that's the story of this sim, and I'm afraid it won't be any better now with MG.
    and yes, I own a dd and this very same thing happened to me so many times that I stopped doing rolling starts (disclaimer : I owned multiple dd since 2017, I think to know how they work, thanks in advance for your suggestions on what I am doing wrong).
    anyway, reading all those saying "it's your fault, you own a dd and you know the risk, the sim is fine reeeee" (guys that maybe never even tried a dd, but they think to know better than you anyway) it's the perfect picture of this whole forum;
    nothing constructive ever comes out of it (given the fact that it would be useless anyway), just people ready to defend rf2 against everything in the world, even when the evidence is clearly pointing to some some of its many, and proven, faults.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    rand777, avenger82 and EricW like this.
  14. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

Its just the clickbaity general thread title that draws people in who dont really care about the issue and then proceed to be unhelpful or try to be helpful in a very annoying way.

Better title would be "Wheel resets suddenly, dangerous for dd wheels" or something.

If i was a studio 397 dev i would look at title and think: "someone complaining about being crashed in online race". But they dont look at these forums anyway you are right about that :).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    EricW and SuperMonaco_GP like this.
  15. EricW

EricW Registered

Even when you ask a personal question about strange things happening in a official online event you are ignored.
    I don't mind, still like the game.
    Hopefully things will change for the better.

16. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Bump.

17. EricW

EricW Registered

Bump
    It not only occurs in rolling starts btw.
    The violent FFB engagement also happens accosionally in standing starts when restarting a race through the ESC popup menu.
    A sign this is noted and taken seriously would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

rand777 and avenger82 like this.
  18. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

DD user here, and this thing happened me tonight. In my cause, the steering wheel, do not reset to his main position, but it turned itself left at max speed with a big bang, when I quit to the main menu and yes, this is not only a HUGE problem to sim racers, but also to Studio 397, because its a question of time to someone sue studio 397 if this problem is not fixed.

I suggest killing the FFB while on menu.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  19. R Soul

R Soul Registered

Bump.

20. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

I have the same issue with the fanatec DD2, it's dangerous.
    Such things never happened in AMS2/ACC/AC/DR2 (other titles that I play), not a single time in the few years that I race, only in RF2 it happens.

I don't agree that it's "entirely your responsibility" as a sim racer. This thing should be fixed or accidents will happen for sure.