rFactor 2 Closes Immediately After Launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Carter Friesen, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Carter Friesen

Carter Friesen Registered

I recently encountered an issue with rFactor 2 not launching correctly. It also gives me no error message after it closes. I've tried verifying the files of the game through Steam and it found 11 files that were missing, so I went and launched the game thinking the issue had been fixed, and I still had the same problem. I've attached screenshots to show the process of what happens when I try to launch the game. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Screenshot1.png Screenshot2.png Screenshot3.png Screenshot4.png Screenshot5.png

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

Could be a corrupted user file.
    Backup your ..\rFactor 2\UserData folder, delete it and start rF2.

3. atomed

atomed Member

4. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

I have the same problem, I've tried validating the steam files but all that does is just get stuck at 99% forever.
    @lagg , do you mean like renaming the userdata folder to like UserData_backup? I tried that and it just says "Folder in use" even though I just started up windows and tried to do that.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That might be worth investigating itself, since that shouldn't happen.

But as a first step you could instead try moving the UserData\player\*.json files (4 of them) to somewhere else (desktop folder or something) so the game creates new ones, and see what happens.

6. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

No luck, and it didn't recreate CustomPluginVariables when I checked back on the folder after the failed startup

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Probably makes sense, since that file gets created at some point during startup and your game isn't completing its startup :cool:

At least that rules out the JSONs as the root cause. Next step would be trying to move out that entire UserData folder - try to work out what's accessing it if windows won't let you delete/move it.

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Check the refresh rate in the video setup, someone recently had some issues with the game, and the refresh rate was set to something random, and was causing the issue.

9. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

Where would I find that? Is that in the launcher? That won't even load up

@Lazza I tried looking around doing many things to try and help the problem, but none of them worked and eventually now the UserData folder is completely broken, won't let me change anything on it, delete it, etc. and is missing most of items in a normal UserData file. Somehow it even let me start up the game but wit all informtation missing an eventually got to a black screen

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First, are you on the "None" rF2 beta version in steam? There is no launcher in that. You get to video config by clicking PLAY in rF2 in the steam library, and selecting video config from the menu.

Second, it may be that your UserData/access/drive issues are causing the issue, not just blocking you from trying fixes. It's sounding like something deeper than rF2 at this point.

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

When you launch the game, it's one of the options.