Headlight throw (headlight projection on road)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sanchit Rathi, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Is it just me or does the headlight throw (projection) on the road look really bad. Its just a solid light that lights up everything in front of in outward triangle shape. Compared to any sim out there its really unrealistic, below are some examples of the headlight throw in different games
    1. Assetto Corsa (SOL)
    ACheadlight throw.png
    2. iRacing
    iRacingheadlight throw.png

I could show more but you get the idea from PCARS2 and ACC how the headlights look on the road, next is how the cars from RF2 hace their headlight throw on the road

RF2headlight throw.png

As you can see the AC and iracing versions have a shape projected on the road instead of just a wide area lit up. I think the difference is quite blatant to see. Therefore, I hope this is addressed in the future releases and is refined and fixed. I do not mean to criticise the people at S397 but merely bring this to their attention as I feel they are more than capable of fixing this.

Until then i wonder if there is a mod or something we can do to get realistic headlight throw within the game. Do you know of any such mod guys? Do let me know

2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

3. philman

philman Registered

+1001

mister dog and Sanchit Rathi like this.
  4. Corti

Corti Registered

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

HDR profiles aren't used any more.

Sanchit Rathi likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

On page 12 of the thread for the Apex 1999 mod, there is a short discussion about a recent change to the lighting system. I'm stuck with just my phone so I can't link to it.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah, I think that it's just too powerful with certain cars.

8. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

I just had a look at the thread you mentioned and yeah I saw the change made, I think that change made it even worse. thats unfortunate but lets hope someone makes a mod to fix that or S397 fixes it soon.

9. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Bump, this is one of the mayor annoyances indeed when doing Rf2 endurance races with day/night transitions. Especially when the sun is setting or rising and it's already getting dark the headlight strength is basically non existent, making it really hard to see where you are going (and you don't realize if they are on/off at times getting you DQ'd). After night sets in it gets better but I have to concur with the OP; headlight reach is fine but they should light up the tarmac way better than they do now.

10. EricW

EricW Registered

Afaik the lights go on by default once it gets dark, was added in one of the latest RC versions.
    not sure what happens if you turn them off by accident though (did not happen to me yet).
    A separate flashing option without changing the light controls would be nice.
    And comparing with lighting in other games is not where you should aim imho, not really impressed with most of them.
    There is a lot of real live in-car footage on YT to compare with.

mister dog likes this.
  11. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

If you use simhub, there is a "headlight flashing" plugin. havent tested enough yet thou, to say if it works everytime.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/simhub-headlight-flasher-plugin.40824/

EricW likes this.
  12. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

I think from the initial post I made previously. The headlight projection has improved massively, I think it improved for the Le Mans 24h Virtual. And was available to everyone an update or two later. Obviously there are things to be improved but for me I'd say S397 resolved the grievance I was talking about when I started.

Of course further feedback from others is always welcome :)

EricW likes this.
  13. mister dog

mister dog Registered

LM virtual was ages ago right? We raced at Nur during the night only 2 weeks ago and headlight strength was still an issue.

14. redapg

redapg Registered

@Sanchit Rathi The Modders of Cars have some Settings to define the Appearance of the Light, so there can be huge Differences between different Mods.
    This, for Example, is an Entry for a Headlight:
    Light=HeadlightL
    {
    Type=Spot Pos=( 0.678, 0.535,-1.958) Dir=(-0.03,-0.09,-0.85) Range=(0.0, 300.0) Active=False Attenuate=(0.1, 0.009, 0.00001) Hotspots=(9.0, 58) Falloff=(2) Intensity=(2.9) Color=(227, 236, 255)
    }

15. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Is it possible to use such lines in an Upgrades.INI file ?
    I could not make that work, but i am no modder :oops: