AI audio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jascha, Jun 2, 2021.

?

Do you think the AI sound should be a focus for the near future?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jascha

Jascha Registered

At first thanks for Sebring today, defiantly the best version we have in a sim!

But what I would like to see improved is the wired sound the AI make when they are close to each other. Sound like duck, duck duck.... I suppose they are accelerating and braking at a high frequency.

I really enjoy multi-class racing and its just a pity that it sounds like this from time to time.

Formula E is horrible and I have to turn of the AI sound :(

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You suppose correctly, they're stabbing at the throttle repeatedly. It's something that started 2-3 years ago now, at least to the current extent, though it's always been somewhat a 'thing'. I believe the change that made this worse was done in order to fix some other issue(s), so a reversion wasn't feasible.

It's something that's on their list to look at, but it will be below some other items on that list. But it's definitely a known issue. Not really an audio thing though.

3. Jascha

Jascha Registered

Yeah I see, I hope the sim becomes more accessible on the MP front.

I quite extensively searched for this issue and did not see many mentioning it. And I agree that its more about the AI behavior. Ah well just wanted to express my concern here and hope it´s not too much at the bottom of the list.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With the exception of helping the GT3 Merc stay on track, almost...almost all AI issues ARE at the bottom of the list. UI, Comp System, Tires...then everything else

5. Jascha

Jascha Registered

Thats a shame cause its the only sim which offers 103 AI players and so many different cars. Welp gotta find a MP race.

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

IIRC, AC AI used to stab the throttle much like rF2 AI do. Kunos (Stefano) was able to smoothen out the AI behavior. Such on / off throttle activity is certainly quite immersion breaking at any rate.

Still, there are multiple aspects of rF2 audio that need attention, perhaps even modification to the sound-engine itself, as well as physics-based integration features. It's a tall order to be sure.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  7. Jascha

Jascha Registered

Sure the audio itself could be always better. But with audio in general, one gets used to it with time until one hears something better.
    But for example a cracking in a speaker is impossible to not notice, same goes for this stabbing. Its an immediate immersion brake, in a sim which is super immersive from the graphic and FFB engine.

8. Pales

Pales Registered

I'm assuming you are referring to this

And yes, it was introduced in a build in 2018 and despite a promise to fix it, they couldn't be bothered. Since Studio 397 took over the development, they have broken a number of things for the AI, and have actually made them worse. This is one of them, and they have no intention of fixing it.

We haven't seen a single update for the AI in well over 5 years. You won't see anything for a long, long time.

9. Jascha

Jascha Registered

Yes exactly. For that I made this thread with a poll. Seems like many also don't care about it. I hope they will be successful with their online endevor. Game is promising, but competition is though.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

I've voted no, but the reason isn't that i don't care.
    The poll asks "Do you think the AI sound should be a focus for the near future?"
    I care about it, but not for the near future. From my point of view there are more urgent things to develop.

11. Robert Bachmayer

Robert Bachmayer Registered

AI sound and general sound is this games weakest point. Kills immersion.