Latest Roadmap Update - May 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 31, 2021.

1. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Yes of course, don't get me wrong, I like great graphics, I like anything that improves immersion, I myself think that animated pit stops would massively improve immersion and I wish that for RF2 too, but strictly speaking it wouldn't improve the game in itself. I like to drive today with the RF2 physic and the FFB finally in a contemporary graphics. But if you ask around in forums or otherwise you might get the impression that only physic counts, but that's not the case and for that reason I can understand the priority rating. I think if they would have adjusted the physics first (back when they updated to DX11 and VR and rain etc.) instead of the graphical aspect, there would be no RF2 today.

Remco Majoor and Nieubermesch like this.
  2. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Glad to see some 'physics' work back on the radar... even sooner than I would expect.

However, probably not a bad idea to stay, caustiously optimistic... find hard to believe the current team has the resources to send the sim on the next level.
    Having said that, only 'fixing' some aspects, would already be a very nice step...

Also, good job overall... in the last 6 months, maybe more like a year... feels like the work done has step up in many aspect.

Sim_Player and Nieubermesch like this.
  3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Don’t want to derail the thread, but RaceRoom physics weren’t that basic when Alex joined. They had proper transmission model - something rF2 still doesn’t have. You still can change gears without clutch with H pattern gearbox without damage or noise. Tire model was 90% the same as AMS1 etc. But yeah It’s not physical CPM model so it is much easier , but still not that simple.
    Problem with rF2 is that besides some tire model changes there were no major improvements in physics engine since S397 took over. I’m in minority but I’d gladly take AMS1 level graphics (dx9 but not bad) if that would mean the long standing physics issues fixed, new features like hybrid support added and new cars being developed closely with racing teams to make sure they drive properly. That’d be a good trade , but I know a lot of people expect more gamey aspects in simulator. For sure good multiplayer system along with ergonomic UI would attract more players so no wonder why it’s one of the priorities right now.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

There are also things besides graphics and physics. I predict in the future marketplace even a sim that combines the best graphics and physics won't necessarily be successful. Yes, people are still quite graphics obsessed in racing games, but I have noticed the trend is changing in other games. If you look at for example the most popular online games, most lists would have PUBG, Apex Legends, Fortnite, CS:GO and even Minecraft, not exactly games that became popular because of their graphics.

In the sim racing genre, iRacing has also shown you can use an older graphics engine and still do quite well. I think there will come a point when adding more graphics effects will start to bring in diminishing returns. With the GPU crisis etc., it can even be argued it doesn't necessarily make sense to add any new graphics effects if it comes at the cost of making the game heavier to run.

It will come down to the whole user experience and people increasingly want games that are easy to jump into without messing with settings etc. Sims will obviously never compete with games like CS:GO where you can just press the play button and enter a game, but there will be a tough competition in the upcoming years between the sims who can catch this relatively small player base. To compete for those players you really need a product that delivers on everything, you can lack in some areas, but at least it should be let's say 90% right in every category.

5. philman

philman Registered

One thing I find surprising is that no roadmap has addressed so far, unless I'm mistaken, the sound issue in rfactor2. This is a subject that deserves attention because sound is part of the parameters of a good immersion in the game and also a valuable aid to driving. All other simulations have made a lot of efforts lately to improve the sounds in the games except rfactor2. When will we hear more about this?

sg333, pkelly, RaceNut and 2 others like this.
  6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes, rF2 sounds and drive-train modeling (lack of) are pretty big detractors from the immersion POV for me (both extremely strong aspects with RaceRoom).

AMS2 is coming on strong and the update coming tomorrow will bring more advances from Reiza. The GTE cars sound amazing and while the drive-train in AMS2 still lacks dynamic oscillations, car's DT response over bumps is working decent. The ffb (Custom version) is outstanding and getting close to rF2 or even, exceeding it in some ways. I see this title as having steadily increasing potential to compete with rF2 for my time going forward.

I hope S397 can make some progress in these areas while addressing other long-standing issues. These seem like pretty monumental tasks to be solved.

avenger82 likes this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

I see a double standard here, and I have to point it out:
    People complain for the lack of features in RF2, but as soon as a feature is added users pretend to be shown the data, the physics and the scientific calculations behind it, plus a master PHD paper on his accuracy level in even the extreme circumstances.
    Another title add an effect that can be completely invented from scratch, and kudos to them , it is the best add-on ever.

8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

not sure where you see the double standards. Nerds are gonna nerd, and that's why they are great.

Also what I want to know is what features you are talking about. Since those discussions are usually about physics, I can't think of the last time any features were added to the physics engine

Reiche likes this.
  9. Comante

Comante Registered

Core Physics.. out of the hat I can't remember (it is more than 2 years probably), the last small touch ups were on tire department in high slip angle scenario (and hell broke loose) and other small touchs in heat transfer. But this happen regularly with each car featured, everything is put into question, from weight balance (I'm looking at you LH radical SR3) , to the smallest poligon out of place.
    The same happened with chassis flex.
    I was here Gandalf, I was here 3000 years ago when chassis flex was first introduced. :D
    I remember the talks about aqua planing too.

10. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Then what is the double standards comment about?

Reiche likes this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

I don't think you care to understand. I won't dig out zombie threads to remind you what I was talking about.
    Feel free to praise other games but keep playing this one

12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I mean, there is one person here trying to understand, and one not wanting to explain. Tells me more than enough at least.

PS I'll play the game I want, thank you

Reiche likes this.
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Can you give some examples? Did I miss some recent PhD paper on rF2 physics (not that I’d understand one anyway)? I only saw couple blog posts by Michael Borda few years ago (which were quite informative).

14. Comante

Comante Registered

For starter, you have to remember that I sucked at english at school, so probably there is some barrier here and there. What I mean, is that RF2 users PRETEND to be shown proof everytime Studio 397 decide to CHANGE something (little or big that is). It happen everytime something changes, from grass color, to sky tint, just to cite the most recent cases, (it happened when they made a microscopic changes to tire behaviour) then it happen every time a car is released or updated.
    I don't mean that this behaviour is automatically sick or wrong (I think it is, but is my opinion). What I want to point out is that a thing like drivetrain simulation.. can't hold this scrutiny level from the community, because I can't believe that real data are avaiable to base this simulation upon. We are talking an open system that could suit hundred of different mechanical solutions. I would call it a canned effect.
    And this "C" word is enough to let playerbase get their pitchfork and torches. :D

MiguelVallejo likes this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Good point, but you got to start from somewhere. A system where you can't simply flatshift through the gears without using the clutch would be a nice start and I find it pretty worrying that the "best" sim on the market - if something like that even exists - is the most unflexible and least realistic product in that area with no solution at all. There is no excuse for it from my perspective. At the moment when S397 released the historic F1 cars there would have been a perfect time to implement some like the grinding tranny mod that could be enforced on the servers. That actually made rF2 look like an arcade game when Villeneuve drove the car with a gamepad. Zero assits would have been the way to go. ;)

Remco Majoor and avenger82 like this.
  16. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I can't see what kind of proofs one would ask if a needed feature like downshift protection is added. Or disabling H-pattern shiting for cars that don't have H-pattern shifter. Both would eliminate unrealistic and arcadish abuses of downshifts.

avenger82 likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Now I'm intrigued :p:D

Sorry for the off-topic, but thanks for providing a rare literal laugh out loud moment for me.

To swing back onto topic, I agree. I don't know why things get so philosophical sometimes, and tribal. Some things have simple, logical, fixes. And basically everything in a game is smoke and mirrors, in some cases rF2's openness works against it (for those who lack understanding of how other games work, especially). It seems like someone expresses an opinion, that places them on team A, and someone who sees themself on team B then argues against their opinion. 4 pages later the cycle restarts.

On downshift protection, the other side to that would be more flexible engine damage for the modder. But that's a discussion for a more targeted thread; the point is it's either not so hard or not so easy, depending on the topic and what's being said about it...

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Ok but while it’s true that for tires real data is lacking or even not possible to fully acquire, but still I believe drivetrain model can be simulated much better based on real data. But I get that it would have to be some approximation to simulate various different real world implementations.

19. Filip

Filip Registered

No need for real data if it's unavailable or too much work.
    Any quick fix that prevents arcadish immersion-breaking machine gun shifting will do.

avenger82, Lazza and Remco Majoor like this.
  20. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

Hola Christopher Elliott
    I wanted to give my opinion on a couple of aspects to see if they can be improved. The first, when you enter a server and go to the information tab, you can see what type of event is, if it is practice, qualy or race. My request is that all three of them be seen at the same time, if I am in practice I would like to be able to see the duration of the qualy and the race, to prepare the setups without having to wait for the sessions to pass.
    Another thing is that when you are doing a practice you can see the times of each player, but when you go to qualy those times disappear and you can no longer consult them. It would be nice to have several tabs where you can see the practice, qualification and race times. So you can check the times that have been made during the event.
    I do not know if these changes are possible and if they are important for most, but if they believe that they can serve to improve the experience of Rfactor 2 then better.
    Thanks and greetings !!

Martin Vindis and Remco Majoor like this.