Latest Roadmap Update - May 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 31, 2021.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

2. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Not worth an extra thread but why does the "DPi" AI preset include the Caddy DPi and the Oreca LMP2? Either add the Ligier too, or even better, remove the Oreca :p

BTW: Great news, really looking forward for the upcoming month :D

3. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Better, more informative roadmap this month.

Probably the most important conversation is the one with Stephen Hood. Understand that what he says, could make or break rF2 as a sim platform, so he needs to get it right first time and not screw up and be forced to backtrack after outrage. For this the key question is: will the ACO LeMans title end up meaning rF2 does not get further endurance racing content? Given that title is firstly ACO-only, not WEC, they've got a problem on their hands that the title HAS to have other content to be viable; its not enough to just have the LeMans track. If only that new title will have LMH/LMDh and whatever follows up GTE, then rF2 is dead in the water. Whilst the LeMans title will use the cross-platform "new" engine that will be used on NASCAR NXT and probably BTCC, its also pretty clear major esports events like Virtual 24H LM will need to use rF2 for the forseeable future. We also need to know what efforts will be put into the Competition System for non-elite sports events, given it looks like there is a competing offering/solution in the NASCAR/BTCC titles.

As regards the core sim, whilst SSR seems to be the focus, I am glad to see the shadow cascading is getting some work. Possibly the most distracting part of rF2 visually, for example at LeMans, is the "20 yd" shadow treatment on the armco barriers. The other is pop-in/pop-out especially in the mirrors. I think the UI for hardware setup/calibration is also useful to most and especially new users. But contrast that with the continued work on broadcast overlays, which is of interest to almost no-one except a few edge cases; its maddening given all the other issues that resources are wasted on that. Look to what Sector3 have done with their latest UI overhaul, and also the replay system; we still can't jump to a specific lap, and the standings/sectors lists also still broken, let alone the warping and stuttering.

For the Competition System, I think we can only say "oh dear". Development has come to a screeching halt for anything most users would want to see. This comprises two parts: a "personal statistics/history" section, which would show historical development of your (still non-existent) ratings, race results etc., and secondly a "series statistics/history" section, which allows lookup of results, points calculations etc. for hosted series and later private/league series (and clearly there is a lot of overlap of these). These are essential for building an online community. Given now Sector3 have released their Ranked Multiplayer system, and it seems to have some traction, there's a need to plan this. It's not all about creating and launching sessions with different event styles.

For content, I am glad to see Monza is coming, and the PBR update to Sebring; and also the tease of 2 more new tracks. Suspiciously lacking in cars, though; see the above for concerns on this front. Tracks are definitely the priority though, and if those screenshots are real, then impressive speed of development is a good sign we'll get more, faster (and also assuming the track team doesn't get stolen for BTCC work).

bobbie424242 likes this.
  4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

So if you still claim rF2 is death, you can no longer help.
    Very impressive S397!

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Oreca's should be included in an IMSA package rather than Dpi. I'm fairly certain they included them to act as field fillers. 5 Caddys do not a race make. I've found a couple of excellent car paks that cover almost all the 2019 and 2020 IMSA fields with track by track assignments so you don't get cars at VIR that only ran at the Rolex 24hr. We'll have to depend upon modders methinks for our IMSA.

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

So happy for the Sebring PBR update : Sebring in rF2 >>> all the content in AMS2.
    I will appreciate the barrier shadow fix, when it follows you....
    And a new HUD overlay with a speedmeter from 2021 with custom placement function....

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Rui Santos and davehenrie like this.
  7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Is is o.k for me to be skeptical about non Americans making a NASCAR game? I'm not trolling here, just a serious question. Just been having flashbacks of Eutechnyx NASCAR '14 game since hearing the news about Motorsport games doing NASCAR.

8. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Motorsports Gaming is based in the USA.

Love Guitars n Cars likes this.
  9. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be comparing in the Shadow Cascading examples as I don't see a noticeable difference. Please help me understand what I should be focusing on.

10. instinkt

instinkt Registered

that newer version looks more pernament
    older (current) draws in front of ur eyes when u moving

this is the most annoying thing in many racing titles
    and bigger deal than these updated reflections so I'm pretty happy seeing that

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    DucMan888, atomed and EricW like this.
  11. sg333

sg333 Registered

Agreed, it looks like the same GIF playing twice to me ?

Although it IS WIP etc, but I too was scratching my head :confused:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you've been playing rF2 (or, apparently, many other driving games too...) for a length of time you may have forgotten that the shadow of a line should look like a single line - not lines of different thickness joined together end to end.

If you look closely, you will see it. I promise :p

Oh, and a Like to Christopher for the May pun. Luckily there's no Groan link.

DucMan888 likes this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

It's not easy to see.
    Look the first gif again
    upload_2021-6-1_10-10-33.png
    Paying atention to this part
    upload_2021-6-1_10-10-54.png
    And then look the second gif

DucMan888 and atomed like this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

It is not traditional japanese theater, is just oval racing with stock cars. :D You maybe surprised that we can see those races in europe too.

Love Guitars n Cars, atomed and lagg like this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

The blinding white track surface got more of my attention.
    Still, happy to see this shadow problem may have a solution.

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Maybe the s397 solution could help other Sims also as they all suffer and a few run a version of the same engine as far as I understand.

As for Sebring, man I hope the track surface doesn't end up one colour like all other updated PBR tracks.

17. atomed

atomed Member

Lol it´s true, we´ll never be able to imitate american traditional costumes and their ritual hot dog & beer.

mixer61 likes this.
  18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Again a lot of PR and marketing instead of a real roadmap. Except for usual graphical improvements and new content not much changed. I know it’s a small team but how about plans to fix long standing bugs and issues, especially with physics? Is there ANY progress? Will there be any progress in foreseeable future?

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Enjoying & getting the best out of Rfactor2 as it now

If any new titles based that utilise the full simulation mode of Rfactor2’s engine & no annoying Arcady swooshy intros or cut scenes etc I’ll buy them too

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

For me it is supper easy to see, perhaps guy who never noticed this issue is just blessed to never see it :D The difference is great, and very pleasing indeed, at least from what is observable in those gif images.

Looks like S397 starts getting rather flexible and mobile in terms of rF2 graphics. Very happy about it, I am frequently launching rF2 to get some hotlaps or semi-hotlaps around Nordschleife as well as some other official and mod tracks, rF2 is indeed slowly getting visual polish which improves experience a lot, although I am still on old UI build, but with improvements like that it becomes hard to resist slighlty less appealing UI experience. I hope besides visuals, other elements of this software will follow up with sufficient expertise and control too
    (such as physics and AI - Hello!), so rF2 can be the diamond that it has always been underneath rough edges.

Adrianstealth and lagg like this.