[REL] NextGenUI [Alpha 0.3]

Discussion in 'Other' started by Duif, May 27, 2021.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

If you change the resolution of rF2, this will change the size of the UI and the HUD, but not the resolution when you're driving.
    I use 1600*900 and some friends use 1366*768.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

also some parameters in configdx11.ini but don't know if they still work

lagg likes this.
  3. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

This UI makes too much sense...too much logic here... brain can't handle...

instinkt, vava74, Wanderpoole and 4 others like this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Just trying out your modded UI. I really like it, way simpler menu.
    small suggestions to make it even greater.
    • when hovering over a button in the horizontal menu make it lit up in a darker tone than the selected menu.
    • on race menu, it shows the car icon, overlapping its window. some car icons are made so they work best with light background so maybe widen the box to surround the entire car.
    • In car selection make a lightback ground on car icon
    • in race, 3 main buttons in bottom are too big at my resolution (2560x1080 29" ultrawide)
    Else, try to incorporate some of the features @Cselt have made, like chat in window below replay screen, powerbutton on top right in every screen.

Just my feedback, not saying my views are the correct ones.

5. Bostrom

Bostrom Registered

Very interesting work. :)
    Many thanks for it.

Daniel Espada likes this.
  6. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

This is soooo much better. I still need to look into it a bit more.

I got stuck in two places. It could just be me.

For the Content/Packages screen, it was just blank
    For the show room, it didn't give me any buttons to get out of it.
    I had to force exit to get out

Looking forward to more updates to this

7. alesanchez

alesanchez Member

@Chris Lesperance, I'm afraid it's your problem. I've been using it since it was released and everything works perfectly.

8. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

When you have to choose a multiplayer server and click on join it doesn't work !!!! If you add it to your favorites and go back to the first screen you are able to log into the server
    Solve please !!!

9. alesanchez

alesanchez Member

this problem has already been solved in the 0.1.1 release
    chances are you're still using 0.1
    Download it 0.1.1

atomed likes this.
  10. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Registered

Exactly my thoughts!!! ;)

Sorry S397, but I repeat it here: please find someone with a sense of latin or japonese logic. Simple, pratical, elegant.
    And, please, put everything in UI and not in text files - how hard is that? There are fundamental aspects of rF2 configuration hidden in those files. No wonder peolple came in, look around and get out as soon as possible!!

S397, still love you.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you seen how many tweaks there are in the player.json for example? If all those options were in the menus it would look so cluttered. Someone should do it just to show how insane it would look to have every option from JSON in there. For the average user that is INFORMATION OVERLOAD.

12. Joaquim Pereira

@Woodee That's where rational organization is crucial. An hierarchical menu system in needed and that's why there are often "advanced settings", where only the brave, or stupid, or stupidly brave people go ;).

Do you think is rational to leave options like "AI Logic Override" or "AI Mistakes" hidden in a text file that only determined users go? They radically transform the user experience. Shouln't they be available to everyone testing the sim?
    I thinks that's one of the reasons rF2 does take off . It's just too intimidating for first users. (I now, I've been there)

And, many times, "everything" like "nothing" shouldn't be interpreted literally - of course, some setting don't even make sense to show to a user. Some should not be in a user changable file neither.

13. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

is there a version number showing somewhere in the UI so you know which version you are running?

14. Joaquim Pereira

I think S397 already mention it will be available in the future.

I don't know if this NextGenUI can implement features not available in original UI...

15. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Very nice start. Like the concept overall. Clean and simple just like kingdom hearts :)

Except from fixing some mismatch color, contrast here and there, a few aspect I would try to work on:
    - Put a title for the car, track and serie selection: like that, it's very unclear and lacking.
    - Either find a way to auto select car, track and serie or put the select button appear very close of the selected car or track. It's very unintuitive right now the way S397 has done it. Even tough I'm sure there's a reason for it. finding a fix seem possible.
    - Setup Menu; very important menu to get it right. What you did is already a big improvement. But I would try to make it even more compact overall font and graphic. And also put some of the smaller categorie together: Fuel/aero, Tires/brakes, elect/drivetrain. Also make the summary page directly tweable with + and - buttons.
    - On the watch menu, below the camera window, would use the empty space... with either an optional permanent chat or race infos.
    - For the multiplayer tab: instead of 'more' calling it servers make more sense. And under servers the checked filters should be remembered. As it stand someone who want the 'no AI' filter, need to check it everytime.

Nice work till now... hope you can find some time to keep working on it. Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  16. Joaquim Pereira

It's a matter of personal taste but this UI is 10x better than the original one.
    Not sure if possible without a replica in original UI, but "EXIT GAME" should be availabe on all tabs - after all, we are in main menu all the time, just in different subjects.

Woodee, Arnaud Plume and DJCruicky like this.
  17. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

I think this was mentioned above but it was not immediately clear to me how to change, Car, Track, Mod. Maybe put a "Change" button next to each?
    upload_2021-6-6_0-17-20.png

atomed and Woodee like this.
  18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Good idea.

19. Duif

Duif Registered

v0.2 Changelog
    • Exit button in tob bar on all screens
    • Changed Single Player box on race screen (width, car thumbnail, background)
    • Changed horizontal elements hover background color
    • Light background on car selection screen under car icon
    • Favourite servers area height fix (no scroll when less than 4 servers)
    • Changed multiplayer “more” button to “more servers”
    • Added UI version on the bottom of start screen
    • Changed layout of race screen (prepared for chat window under camera section)

0.2 update is focused mostly on features and back-end stuff. There are a lot of visual things to improve. Next update will contain permanent chatbox on “Watch” screen, and visual improvements (visuals are inconsistent at the moment, i want to make it more consistent around whole UI).

I just didn't have time to work on visuals more. Next update planned for friday.
    Remember, that a lot of screens are still unmodified.

Known bug: sometimes game starts longer than usual

Download link in 1st post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chat window will look more or less like that in next update:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  20. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

Great to see that you will continue working on this!