crashes to launch panel

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by reginald mitchell, Mar 15, 2018.

1. reginald mitchell

reginald mitchell Registered

rFactor installed 3 times after downloading and verifying file install and starting from launch panel game does not start and comes back with this message " rFactor2 is attempting to launch with the optional Parameters shown ie " +path=" " " what must i do to get the simulator working . crashes to launch panel
    irrespective of choice yes or no.
    I have rfactor working but not rFactor2.

Please help reg Mitchell

=

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Make sure the text " +path=" " " is not written above the marked straight red line in graphic (or anywhere else) and check your rFactor 2 desktop shortcut as well under Properties
    Ignore the red oval, this graphic is from another site.

upload_2018-3-15_15-29-19.png

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@reginald mitchell Try restarting steam, and also make sure it's up to date (steam itself). This type of message is often steam related rather than specific to a game, so that would be the first step I think.

4. reginald mitchell

reginald mitchell Registered

thanks for info , my rfactor 2 launcher is not the same as yours , it does not have the trolly basket at bottom left and the build number . is 1109 downloaded two weeks ago then 3 more then a clean install (registry also) all downloads verified by steam as complete???
    Funny thing is that demo worked OK.i must try and update steam ??
    thanks Reg

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I used this old web graphic (from an earlier build) I found online as an example to point out in red where to check for the text " +path=".. " which if found, should be removed.
    Reread what I wrote above and clicking Settings should bring you to a similiar page.
    If " +path=".. " is not found in the 'Command Line Interface Parameters' then
    right click on your rFactor 2 desktop shortcut, select Properties and look on the Shortcut tab if you see the same text " +path=".." and remove it.
    Here is an example, yes, it is not exactly the same as your own shortcut being in another language and one I use for a rF2 server but you can see where the text " +path=".." is marked.
    If you find this text, remove it from your rFactor 2 desktop shortcut.
    The tab open in the graphic below (Snelkoppeling) translated means Shortcut.

upload_2018-3-16_17-48-3.png

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. durielk

durielk Registered

I have the same problem, I can't find that screen he posted in post #2, how do you get there?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't need that, this error isn't caused by extra parameters. RF2 always runs with parameters, this error is caused by/within steam.

Google "steam attempting to launch" and you'll find many people with many games having the same error, and many potential fixes.

If you search this forum for "attempting to launch" you will find a number of threads with suggestions as well.

8. durielk

durielk Registered

I agree, I have emailed them. If they don't fix it, I'm asking for a refund.

9. durielk

durielk Registered

After review, on steams www site, they have this site/email as support for issues with this game. I cannot find anywhere else they they have any support. Do you know who over there is in charge?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Please, listen to me.

This isn't an rF2 error.

When I get home I'll try to compile a list of "usual fixes" for this error, but if you want in the meantime you can google as I said above, or search this forum. You'll find some options to try both ways.

rF2 ALWAYS runs with the +path=".." and +workshopsync options. This is NOT an error. (people don't realise it, and think you have something different, and suggest to check the launch options to remove any parameters - that's not a fix)

11. durielk

durielk Registered

Listen to me, this is the www site 'steam' has on their www site for issues with this problem. Maybe this isn't the problem, but it seems to be. I was running the simulation this morning, and now it is not running and this keeps appearing when I start and it will not allow the simulation to run.
    How do I check the launch options? and your saying that isn't a fix anyway.
    I did google this on this forum and it does not appear that there is any solution. Why is that?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try restarting steam, and check it for updates. I'm at work so time is limited. Google and the forum have more things to try.

13. durielk

durielk Registered

TBH, I don't understand why Steam is even involved in this. All these simulations are so buggy and another layer of BS on top of that is getting too much. Why ? I don't know. I look at my rF2 directories, there is just so much BS there, I got about 3 rf2.exe's, bins and builds it is just out of hand. Every 2 months there is updates that just shuffle everything around.
    What happened to the driver name tags on the track?

14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Have you moved your Steam library or created a new Steam library recently?

15. durielk

durielk Registered

....no! I updated my nividia card driver, which turned out to be crap, then this....

16. lagg

lagg Registered

Yesterday, the update of Nvidia drivers, deleted Visual C++ runtime libraries of a member of our championship.
    Try installing all the runtimes included in ..\rFactor 2\Support\Runtimes\
    Good luck

17. durielk

durielk Registered

Iagg.... I looked at that directory, there are 4 files in that runtime folder, nothing there looks wierd.

Update on the status of my issues:
    I contacted steam and ran through several tests on their side. I really thought it was in the steam launch that was the problem.
    Anyway, we reinstalled steam and everything looked good, but no dice, it appears if you read this popup that rF2 is launching and something in rF2 file opening is calling for these optional parameters.

I’m not an expert, where or file in rF2 is causing this. If you could look at this and get back to me that would be great. It to the point if it isn't going to run, there is no use having it. All my other racing programs and steam and my computer seem to be running fine. I tried AC just yesterday before I contacted steam.

Please advise. Thanks, Darrel

Attached Files:

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You should be running each of those files (all 4 of them) and installing/repairing each one. Once someone had to uninstall and install again, but I'd say that's rare.

Yes, rF2 is being run with those parameters, and that is normal. Every person here successfully running rF2 has it running with those parameters.

It is possible (I assume) rF2 is somehow failing to run and it's pushing back to steam, which then generates that error (and the runtimes thing is therefore a good call, in case it's those). Generally though, something along the lines of restarting steam, running steam or the game as admin (or not running the game as admin, sometimes that itself is the issue...), or other mysterious options, will do it - for this game, and for others.

lagg likes this.
  19. durielk

durielk Registered

So the fault is with rF2, IMO and yours poste #18.
    rF2 was a complete new install, and it doesn't run before or after the new install.
    I think we are at the end of the line unless someone comes up with what file or setting is causing the failure.
    I got 3 days till my next race, if that don't happen, I'm giving up on this it seems like no one knows what is going on.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you install the runtimes? Have you tried the various options you'll find via Google, such as those I've mentioned above?